New Book: How the States Got Their Shapes

Just picked up today a nice little resource for all those wanting to redraw the 50 states of the Union. Mark Stein's How the States Got Their Shapes explains the politics and decisions that went into drafting and drawing the borders of states. All states and the District of Columbia are covered in short easy to read chapters loaded with simple maps. Altho he does not cover the likes of the state of Franklin nor Jefferson's plan for the 15 new states to be carved out of the Northwest Territory, there is plenty of ATL ideas.

Here is the Amazon link:

http://www.amazon.com/How-States-Go...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1215928637&sr=1-1

Thanks for posting info about this book.

Just read the pdf excerpt on amazon.com. Its a little chapter about the evolution of the borders of Maryland. Knew some of the information..but was very enlightening.

This IS a book to snag.

Thanks again for the post :)

Thande

Donor
Quite interesting. Bill Bryson had a fair amount to say about the shapes of U.S. states in his Made in America, so a broader look would doubtless be good.

Definately an interesting book. I went to the site and read the excerpt, which was on Alabama, quite interesting. May need to snag me a copy as soon as I can get a little desposable income to be able to buy it.

Checked out a copy from work, I'll look through it some more as I read through but my first thought is how poorly organized it is.

Checked out a copy from work, I'll look through it some more as I read through but my first thought is how poorly organized it is.

The states are arranged in alphabetical over. How else should it be organized?? There are 51+ short easy to read chapters.

The states are arranged in alphabetical over. How else should it be organized?? There are 51+ short easy to read chapters.

Well it flows poorly because of constant reference to chapters out of sequence. It would have been easier to sort it geographically.