Oof... goodbye my Virginia home.

Why the York River though? And if the York River is the border, does it then follow the Mattaponi River or the Paumunky/North ans South Anna Rivers?

Shame Grant wasnt the one to take Vicksburg.

Could we get a map please?
I don't have one at the moment, but I'll make one.
Nice chapter, love the canal build.

Not sure thats possible in the area. Groundwater should be relative high so close to the river and make excavating really dangerous.
According to Wikipedia, Grant was able to tunnel under the Third Louisiana Redan, and the Redans that Taylor blows up are in that same area.
This has to be one of, if not my favorite chapter so far (I'm definitely not biased by the fact that Thomas made a prominent appearance ;)).
Thank you! It was one of my favorites to write.
Oof... goodbye my Virginia home.

Why the York River though? And if the York River is the border, does it then follow the Mattaponi River or the Paumunky/North ans South Anna Rivers?
On second thought, I'm going to move the border north to the Rappahannock. West of the Rappahannock, the border is the OTL WV-VA border.
[/QUOTE]
Shame Grant wasnt the one to take Vicksburg.
[/QUOTE]

I don't think western Virginia would want to stick with any part of eastern Virginia. The people who lived in Western Virginia were not very happy with their treatment by the state goverment and that motivated their desire for statehood. The areas had almost nothing in common by this time. Their also is the geography to consider basically their are two fairly high mountain ranges you would have to traverse to get between them.
I've seen several timelines where West Virginia ends up with north-east Virginia, but I do think I gave Vandalia too much of east Virginia.

The Confederates lost Richmond, half of their treasury, and will likely lose their President soon. They’re definitely doomed. It’s just a matter of when.

I really think that Tidewater should still be called Virginia, though. Giving a new name to the breakaway state in the west? That’s okay. But renaming one of the original 13 colonies feels wrong. And the Alexandria government would’ve likely thought of themselves as being the government of Virginia.

Last edited:
States 1859.png

A map of the US States and Territories in 1859. Frontlines are a rough approximation.

Well. Good-bye Confederacy!
Its only going to get worse, much worse.
Oregon and Minnesota aren't states yet?
The southern half of Minnesota, Dakota, is a state. The north half, Itasca, is still a territory. Oregon will be admitted as a state in November (due to an extra four months of unincorporated status, the Cayuse War is much more damaging and thus delays statehood), while the map only depicts the USA at the end of August, before the fall campaigns.

I'm surprised that Iowa would have a panhandle, instead of that land west of the Big Sioux River just belonging to Dakota.
I've seen a couple of other timelines and maps with the panhandle, and besides I just like the look of it. As an aside, Minnesota Territory was separated from Iowa Territory in December 1846, which is after this TL's POD. So its not inconceivable that the panhandle is just not included in the territory separated from Iowa.

Oregon I doubt Ames would be a senator any for that matter given he was still at West Point and didn't graduate until 1861. I doubt your boundaries in OTL Minnesota make much sense. Congress tried to keep the states fairly even in size. Not to mention I doubt Itasca would be very viable as a territory or state. Congress usually put state borders on rivers or degrees of latitude or longitude. For example Minnesota's OTL Western border is the Red River of the North which flows northward into Canada. Another example is Oregon and Washington's border on the Columbia River. The reason West Virginia got it's panhandle was that a major railroad went in the area and the US wanted it firmly in a loyal state. I would make northern Virginia it's own state. As that would put more loyal congress man in congress.

Oregon I doubt Ames would be a senator any for that matter given he was still at West Point and didn't graduate until 1861.
Who's Ames? I don't believe I've mentioned anyone with that name in my TL.
I doubt your boundaries in OTL Minnesota make much sense. Congress tried to keep the states fairly even in size. Not to mention I doubt Itasca would be very viable as a territory or state. Congress usually put state borders on rivers or degrees of latitude or longitude. For example Minnesota's OTL Western border is the Red River of the North which flows northward into Canada.
Itasca and Dakota both have their western borders on the Missouri River's northern reaches. Itasca has the port of Duluth for trade, while Dakota has the Mississippi River. Itasca has both the iron-rich Mesabi Range, and a port to export it (And a good portion of Minnesota's arable land). Dakota has the mills of Minneapolis and lots of land for agriculture.
The reason West Virginia got it's panhandle was that a major railroad went in the area and the US wanted it firmly in a loyal state. I would make northern Virginia it's own state. As that would put more loyal congress man in congress.
It makes more sense for Virginia north of the Rappahannock to become part of WV than its own state, honestly. I've seen a couple TLs where the region is annexed to WV, and I'm going to keep TTL's Vandalia as a state.

I assume that's referring to the Wikibox. Adelbert Ames is listed as the next holder of the Senate seat for Mississippi.
Ohhh, that makes sense. I can't really fix it now, and it's a really minor thing, but I'm go ahead and say that James L . Alcorn is the next U.S. senator from Mississippi, not Adelbert Ames.