New Balancing

Ohio's and Kentucky's are going to replace the first two monitor classes. I also assuming that the navy after this war is going to want another class of first class battleships in the fleet. I could them offering to pull the Terror Class Monitors off active duty to get 4 more first class battleships for the fleet

Driftless

Donor
Sell off the less sea-worthy or less useful monitors to second tier navies as time and budget allow? Or, pillage the usable weaponry and power plants for re-use and scrap the remainder?

By the way, as a Brit, I'm slightly puzzled as to why the USA doesn't just/didn't just declare itself an empire. Off the top of my head it is the largest colonial power in the world.

Anyway, back to the story.

By the way, as a Brit, I'm slightly puzzled as to why the USA doesn't just/didn't just declare itself an empire. Off the top of my head it is the largest colonial power in the world.

How is the US the largest colonial power in the world? That honor when to London.

Its not a very republican/democratic sentiment ro have. Not that there weren't those that refered to america as such ("an Empire of Liberty" as some put it)

Its a cultural thing for the most part. Americans even at peaks of our "Imperial prowess" don't like to think of ourselves as Imperialist. Culturally we always see ourselves as protectors and bringers of freedom and liberty that our ancestors were back in the American Revolution. To the Average American (and it gets worse depending on how far rightist the american is) we we just bringing american freedoms and liberties to the western hemisphere at first then the rest of the world post WWII if they didn't want them too bad. And the bad things that America has done to hold some of its overseas possession like the crushing of the Philippians rebellion post Spanish American war the average american doesn't learn about. But that's why Americans never declared the "American Empire" as far as I can explain it.

How is the US the largest colonial power in the world? That honor when to London.

I mean today. The Falklands, Gibraltar and a dozen tiny islands, at least one of which is de facto an American possession.

Compared with America, with colonies in Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas, US Virgin Islands, plus a massive number of overseas US bases.

Besides, President doesn't sound as cool as Doge or Emperor Elector.

Culturally we always see ourselves as protectors and bringers of freedom and liberty that our ancestors were back in the American Revolution.

Whut?!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii

fdas

Banned

Driftless

Donor
Its a cultural thing for the most part. Americans even at peaks of our "Imperial prowess" don't like to think of ourselves as Imperialist. Culturally we always see ourselves as protectors and bringers of freedom and liberty that our ancestors were back in the American Revolution. To the Average American (and it gets worse depending on how far rightist the american is) we we just bringing american freedoms and liberties to the western hemisphere at first then the rest of the world post WWII if they didn't want them too bad. And the bad things that America has done to hold some of its overseas possession like the crushing of the Philippians rebellion post Spanish American war the average american doesn't learn about. But that's why Americans never declared the "American Empire" as far as I can explain it.

I'm reading CL's comment as we like to believe our own mythology. Historically, we've often turned a blind eye to our many sins and we prefer to focus on those things we see as good.

Americans are hypocrites.

Gee, like we have a monopoly on that concept.....

Last edited:
I mean today. The Falklands, Gibraltar and a dozen tiny islands, at least one of which is de facto an American possession.

Compared with America, with colonies in Guam, Puerto Rico, American Samoa, the Northern Marianas, US Virgin Islands, plus a massive number of overseas US bases.
Excluding Puerto Rico, which has voted for statehood and both parties position on the matter is that it should be a state, and has submitted a bill to Congress with bipartisan support for statehood by 2021, the US territories have about the same population as the remaining British Empire. In terms of area the current British Empire is much larger than all US unincorporated territories, but that's mostly Antarctica. It is 10 island groups, not just islands, plus the Falklands, Gibraltar, chunks of Cyprus and a slice of Antarctica, in terms of numbers of islands, still more than the US unincorporated territories

German Empire 1894
Germany 1894

Monarch: Kaiser Wilhelm the Second
Chancellor: Leo von Caprivi
Population: 49,563,495 (1890 Census)
Power Status: Great Power
Alliance: Triple Alliance (Germany, Austria-Hungary, Italy, Romania/In Secret), A Defensive Treaty Only

Army

Active Duty Personal: 1,750,000

Weapons (Note, Reserve Weapons or Weapons being phased out aren’t shown)

Gewehr 1887

Weight: 3.9 kg
Barrel Length: 740 mm
Cartridge: 8 x 57mm Rimless
Action: Bolt-Action
Rate of Fire: 20 to 30 Rounds (Depends on the Training of the Soldier)
Muzzle Velocity: 620 m/s
Feed System: Five Round Clip

M1879 Reichsrevolver

Weight: 1.1 kg
Barrel Length: 178 mm
Cartridge: 10.6 x 25m Rimmed
Action: Single Action
Muzzle Velocity: 205 m/s
Feed System: 6 round cylinder, single shot

8 cm Kanone C/72

Type: Field Gun
Weight: 750 kg
Caliber: 8cm(78.5mm) L/20
Breech: Horizontal Sliding Block
Effective Firing Range: 4.8 km
Muzzle Velocity: 400 m/s

9 cm Kanone C/73-91

Type: Field Gun
Weight: 2,515 kg (Travel), 1,210 kg (Combat)
Caliber: 9 cm(88mm) L/24
Effective Firing Range: 6.5 km
Maximum Firing Range: 7.1 km
Muzzle Velocity: 464 m/s

12 cm Kanone C/80

Type: Siege Gun
Weight: 4,675 kg (Travel), 2,455 kg (Combat)
Caliber: 12cm L/23.4
Effective Firing Range: 7 km
Maximum Firing Range: 7.9 km
Muzzle Velocity: 442 m/s

15 cm sFH 93

Type: Howitzer
Weight: 2,725 kg (Travel), 2,188 kg (Combat)
Caliber: 15cm L/11
Effective Firing Range: 5,700 m
Maximum Firing Range: 6,000 m
Muzzle Velocity: 280 m/s

Navy

Commissioned/Pre-Commission Work Ups or Being Built/Ordered

Battleships: 4/2/3
Coastal Defense Ships: 11/2/0
Armored Cruisers/Armored Frigates: 6/0/1
Protected Cruisers: 4/2/4
Unprotected Cruisers: 8/2/0
Torpedo Boat Destroyers: 0/2/2

Unlike the United States update, I’m not getting into ship specs with the German Navy. The primary reason for this is because the butterflies ITL hadn’t greatly effected German ship design yet. It has effected the size of some classes but not the designs.

Wait, did the germans not have their maxim guns yet?

The Americans have the potato digger and whatever leftover gatling guns they got, but at least they have something.

Wait, did the germans not have their maxim guns yet?

The Americans have the potato digger and whatever leftover gatling guns they got, but at least they have something.
The Germans are testing the Maxim at the moment but it hasn't been officially adopted by the Army. It wouldn't be adopted till 1908 OTL by their army. The navy has it in limited use from what I been able to find.

If anyone has more information than what I find I'm all ears.

jim I am assuming the larger American army is due to additional personal for the costal defense forts
and to boast the infantry and cav regiments so that the can fight all of their companies instead of some not being active due to lack of privates for the units.

jim I am assuming the larger American army is due to additional personal for the costal defense forts
and to boast the infantry and cav regiments so that the can fight all of their companies instead of some not being active due to lack of privates for the units.
That plus a few extra units. When I say extra unit, I mean one or two extra regiments than OTL. Most of that extra size is from the increase coastal defensives that had been built up since 1875.

The Island War 1894-95 Pt I
The Island War of 1894-95 Part I

The Battle of Cariaco was the first battle of the Island War and war hadn’t been officially declared yet. In the aftermath of the ultimatum given to the Germans by President McKinley things off the coast of Venezuela became very tense. Then on the night of September 11 1894 events happened that pushed things to war. There is no clear agreement on what happened on the night of the eleven. The Germans claimed that the torpedo boats that were operating with the American squadron were making a torpedo run on their squadron. The Americans claimed that the Germans open fire with out cause and they were forced to return fire.

By sun rise the battle that was fought in Cariaco Basin was largely over. Both sides had taken their licks in the battle, but it was the German squadron under the command Konteradmiral Alfred von Tirpitz that had been forced to withdraw and make for Port of Spain for repairs. Behind him Tirpitz left the armored frigate SMS König Wilhelm, the unprotected cruiser SMS Sperber. Tirptiz later left behind the SMS Oldenburg at the Port of Spain when it became clear that they couldn’t repair for enough for the journey across the Atlantic and she was interned by the British. For the United States under Rear Admiral Winfield Scott who lost his life in this battle saw the lost of USS Terror BM-9 which was Scott’s flagship and both torpedo boats that had been operating with Scott’s squadron. The USS Atlanta PCR-1 would later founder on the return to Guantanamo Bay Naval Base.

The US was left holding the Cariaco Basin following the battle, but things had been pushed to the point of no return with the Battle of Cariaco. Germany was the first to formally declare war on September 14th, the US would follow suit on the 16th. The main reason for the delay with the US declaration was there was an effort by some in Congress to find a peaceful end to this war. But on receiving word that the German Empire had declared war the day after they did took the wind out of their sails and destroyed the political careers of those who hadn’t supported the efforts to declare war on Germany.

Only there was one problem. Neither the United States nor Germany was really in a position to attack each other directly. This led to only a small handful of battles for the remaining part of 1894 as both sides were rushing to reinforce their positions in the Southwest Pacific. Germany didn’t believe the United States would attack their colonies in Africa as they had shown zero interest in holding any land on the Dark Continent. However the US had shown a great deal of interest in the Southwest Pacific where Germany had one colony and was working on gaining more there. They were right, later declassified documents and memoirs by senior American leaders showed the US viewed any action in Africa as an action of last resort either to regain the status quo in the SW Pacific if they lost or in an effort to force Germany to the peace table if the Germans lost in the SW Pacific and refused to come to the peace table.

The Battle of Caracas is notable for the fact it was the only land battle fought in western hemisphere. With the war on between the US and Germany, for the US leaving the German Expeditionary Force in Venezuela uncheck was unthinkable. Yet it took time to raise a force to take it on. The Battle of Caracas started on October 2nd and lasted for three days before the surrender of the German Force. During Caracas the US was supported by the Venezuelan Army. Yet it was at Caracas that the US learned first hand they were badly out classed by the Germans in terms of artillery. Not only did the German Expeditionary Force have more of it, but it also had larger artillery pieces that outranged American field guns and forced the US Navy to counter them.

The other battle that happen soon after the start of the war was the First Battle of Apia. Both Germany and America maintain small squadrons at Apia to maintain the status quo on the islands as the natives fought over who would be their king. Following the ultimatum by McKinley both sides at Apia were on a knife’s edge. Then when war of what happened in the Cariaco Gulf over a week after it happen fighting broke out between both squadrons. The only ship lost at Apia was the USS Huron, a gunboat. The Huron was having engine problems prior to this and when it lost the main sail the captain of the Huron signal the rest of the small squadron that he could fight the Germans to give them time to escape. This worked, and for this action he was later awarded the medal of honor as he brought the rest of the squadron at Apia enough time to escape.

Finally the only other battle of note was the Action of December 2 1894. This battle pitted the auxiliary cruiser SMS Schiller which had been pressed into service by the German Navy to raid on American merchant shipping. During the six weeks of operations it took seven prizes and sent four of them back to Germany and sunk two others with the final one being used as a ship to keep its prisoners. On the 2nd of December they ran into the USS New Orleans PCR-8, the lead ship of the newest class of protected cruisers in the USN. The Germans fought bravely but were outclassed by the Americans and they stuck their colors 45 minutes into the battle.

The main actions of the war through would be fought in 1895.