New Alternate History forum on Sufficient Velocity!

Sabot Cat

Banned
Today, the administrative staff of the Sufficient Velocity forum have created a new Alternate History sub-forum! Within one day, this new enclave has already seen over 1000 posts and counting, with 45 new members including map-making luminaries like @ToixStory and wikibox wizards like @machinekng who are posting new and original graphics, as well as Sufficient Velocity exclusive timelines (such as this one by me).

However this isn't some one-off splinter forum! Sufficient Velocity is an established community with thousands of potential new readers. SV was the home of the Nation Games sub-forum when it left AH.com, so many of the users aren't strangers to our community or this genre. In fact, one alternate history roleplay has over 385,000 views.

upload_2017-7-30_23-7-6.png

The forum software is the same as AH.com - XenForo - so it's easy to get used to, and the theme you see above is very similar to this site. It's called FlexWhite, one of the several themes one can choose and an example of some of the features that Sufficient Velocity boasts. Other features include:
  • View counts: You can see how many people are reading your work!
  • Embeds: Seamless embed Tweets, Google Docs, Scribd, etc. in your posts
  • Tables: There is a built in table feature, so you don't have to screencap excel sheets anymore
  • Reactions: You don't just have to 'like' a post - you can also deem it insightful, funny, informative, etc.
You don't have to choose between one forum or another, but this community is already off to a vibrant start and boasts some features you can't get here. And if you mostly just browse AH.com for the memes and the political discussion, there's even a little club set up for us outside of the subforum here.

So it'd be great if you all could join us there!

Last edited:
I'm a wizard now.

That's neat.

Anyways, the community and leadership at SV have been very cordial and welcoming for the new board. Even if you don't care about "leaving" AH.com, it's still a great place to introduce new readers to your art, stories and timelines!

Sabot Cat

Banned
I'm a wizard now.

Yer a wizard machinekng. :p

Anyways, the community and leadership at SV have been very cordial and welcoming for the new board. Even if you don't care about "leaving" AH.com, it's still a great place to introduce new readers to your art, stories and timelines!

Yeah they've been friendly as all heck, and they've been helping us out in setting everything up step-by-step.

Teshuvah

Banned
Just made my account! I expected to be spending most of my time there in the future. It's also nice to have avatars like a normal message board. :)

There's been attempts to leave AH.com in the past, but I think this might be the first one that's going to pick off quite a few people, since it's a subforum of an already established community. However, not everyone is choosing to leave AH.com as well - if you'd like to keep posting here, SV is a great place to introduce your timelines to a new audience.

I decided to post my TL there as well, I don't see why on earth I would have to choose and the more readers I can have the better.

There's been attempts to leave AH.com in the past, but I think this might be the first one that's going to pick off quite a few people, since it's a subforum of an already established community.
I think the problem is all these things develop in opposition to AH.com, rather alongside it. If you're main goal is to poach users away from AH.com rather than to develop a second alternate history community that might develop alongside and have a symbiotic relationship with the site, it will fail because it can't compete. This is true no matter where it's located.

Teshuvah

Banned
I think the problem is all these things develop in opposition to AH.com, rather alongside it. If you're main goal is to poach users away from AH.com rather than to develop a second alternate history community that might develop alongside and have a symbiotic relationship with the site, it will fail because it can't compete. This is true no matter where it's located.
The main difference this time is that the infrastructure for the site is already in place, and it's on a popular website with lots of traffic. Besides, like I said in my other posts, this doesn't have to be either/or. I and others are leaving, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people who use both (including current users who'd like to interact with people who've left). We've already got people posting their timelines over there and other SV members will likely soon begin contributing to the subforum.

Honestly, I know a lot of other people are mad, but I'm just excited. It feels like a fresh start.

I totally agree with this. Although SV is happy to have from Alternatehistory.com, we want an independent community to develop there. We've already got people on the site who write alternate history, it's just mainly in user fiction and quests; I like to think that users from AH.com can give the community on SV that extra kick to encourage people rather than it just being AH.com 2: refugee edition.

How is SV different from SB (I know a big split happened a couple years ago)?
It's not all that different, just has some different views on certain topics. There have been two large splits from SB, one was because some risque questing wasn't liked by the mods, so that community left, then because of a huge administrative fuck up on SB (it's ludicrously complicated, but basically they fired a mod and then said she retired and told her to lie about it, and she didn't, she posted the whole PM chain for everyone to see), a huge chunk of people left and made SV.

The main difference this time is that the infrastructure for the site is already in place, and it's on a popular website with lots of traffic. Besides, like I said in my other posts, this doesn't have to be either/or. I and others are leaving, but I'm sure there will be plenty of people who use both (including current users who'd like to interact with people who've left). We've already got people posting their timelines over there and other SV members will likely soon begin contributing to the subforum.

Honestly, I know a lot of other people are mad, but I'm just excited. It feels like a fresh start.

Never heard of the site until now, perhaps i will try it in the future

It's not all that different, just has some different views on certain topics. There have been two large splits from SB, one was because some risque questing wasn't liked by the mods, so that community left, then because of a huge administrative fuck up on SB (it's ludicrously complicated, but basically they fired a mod and then said she retired and told her to lie about it, and she didn't, she posted the whole PM chain for everyone to see), a huge chunk of people left and made SV.

I've heard that as a whole, it's more liberal than SB. Is that true?