Nelvana's Doctor Who

I mainlined this timeline in one sitting, and really enjoyed it. Super interesting how you were extrapolating the SORT of series that we could have gotten, based on the concept art we had.

I do have a few questions, though they may have been answered elsewhere in the thread:

-The Doctor is voiced by Maurice LaMarche. Is there a specific role of his that you pictured the Doctor being like, vocally?

Maurice's forte was a spot on Orson Welles impersonation. He used it as the basis for the Brain in Pinky and the Brain. I think he'd probably use it as the foundation for his 'Doctor Voice.' My guess is that he would pitch it a little higher, to make it friendlier, and he'd add a british accent to it... although that would be a peculiarly unplaceable british accent.

-Pretty sure that I saw this, wanted to double-check: did Jon Pertwee voice the other/"older" Doctor?
Yes he did.

There was some discussion of Colin Baker participating in a voice role in the second season. There's a persistent rumour that he was the voice of the Monk in the second season.

-You're using the concept art made for the Master for the War Chief/Leader's design. What do you think the general designs are like for the Rani, the Master, and the Monk?
The Concept art for the Master was so radically different from my take on the character that I couldn't use it. I had to repurpose. Which, I suppose, tells us that my take is measurably different from what Nelvana actually would have been done. But historically, the dominant image of the Master has been the dark reflection of the Doctor - Spartan and severe where the Doctor was flamboyant, dark where the Doctor was bright, restrained and reserved where the Doctor was outgoing and ebullient (some scene chewing notwithstanding). The Nelvana Master seemed like some sort of hard bitten half-cyborg, primal warrior, not a dark reflection, a completely different direction. So I went War Leader.

My visualization for the Nelvana Master is tall and skinny, almost angular. Dressed in black, with perhaps silver highlights, tight fitting clothes, very formal, very conservative. He wears black gloves, because he doesn't like contact, but you can see his wrists between the gloves and sleeves of the jacket. His only ornament, a blood red jewel hanging from a pendant on his chest. His tool of choice a wand that functions like the watch or sonic screwdriver, often used casually as a weapon. A billy goat goatee, neatly manicured, jet black hair with a widows peak and just a hint of untamed fringes, sharp features and glowering black bushy eyebrows over piercing eyes - basically an amalgam of Delgado/Aynsley.

As for the Rani and the Monk. They would not have looked like Kate O'Mara or Peter Butterworth. Characters just didn't. Look at Ghostbusters - no real resemblance to Akroyd, Ramis, Murray, Hudson. (sometimes the attempt was made - the Happy Days cartoon was at pains to have its drawings physically resemble the features of the live actors... and it was horrible). But even with the legal rights to use the characters, they wouldn't have the rights to use the actors likenesses without paying extra. So generally, what with one thing and another, cartoon characters didn't resemble real life inspirations.

The Monk would almost certainly have defaulted to being kind of rolly polly and mild looking, slightly overweight, round nose, bald or balding, chubby cheeks, prone to smiling. I think they'd default to something like the concept of Friar Tuck from Robin Hood.

There'd be a bit of a play with the monks robes. There would be scenes where he shows up in robes, and they're scary and intimidating, and then the cowl comes down, and the scary thing resolves to a round little man with childlike impulses.

The Rani? Tall. Red haired. Sharp/Fox featured. Her drawing would be angular, not a lot of curves or fat - just the angles of a scientist who doesn't have a lot of interest in human niceties. Padded shoulders. She'd have a lab coat or overcoat, kind of a counterpoint to the Doctors. Boots. Big gloves or gauntlets, either wearing, or tucked into a belt or pocket, visibly hanging out. Goggles or a visor, either nestled in her hair or hanging from her neck.

If any would be artist wants to take a stab, go ahead.

Did you give any thought as to who voiced them, if they were known vocal talent at all?
No real thought.

The Monk's voice would be high pitched and a bit plummy, with a laugh or giggle, he'd be having fun, even when feeding children to dinosaurs.

The Rani's voice would be british, aristocratic and always pointed, every statement would come out like an interrogation or accusation, she'd be very serious.

Good questions. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Edit: Here's the cover, courtesy of Amazon:

51%2BotwVeOjL._SL500_SX364_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

That looks like the Doctor in the front seat of the roller-coaster (just losing his hat !), and there's a couple of Daleks down below.

Cheers,
Nigel.
And in the same car as Beetle Bailey and Sgt. Snorkel!

I recognize Popeye, Olive Oyl and Wimpy in the car behind, and Mandrake the Magician on the floor. But the rest of them are a mystery to me.

The insect flying just left of centre is Mighty Moth, who rather unusually was created just for the comic. He spent his time annoying a character called "Dad", who is sitting just behind the Doctor.

1923577-mightymoth.jpg

The guy to the bottom left (next to the daleks) is Adam Adamant. He's another Sydney Newman creation and the producer of the TV series was Verity Lambert.

AdamAdamtRadioTimes__.jpg

I think that the policemen in the wagon at the back (top left) are the Keystone Kops.

Edit: Also the characters on the helterskelter are the TV Terrors, who are always trying to sneak into a TV Studio, and the Commissionaire Hoppit who tries to stop them.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Last edited:
Question for what passes for the group mind.

This project is done. It was fun.

I'm looking to maybe find a new audience for it.

Are there any Doctor Who fan sites where this might be appropriate.

I tried looking up Doctor Who fanfiction, but mostly the sites all seemed to be endless renditions of 50 Shades of Tardis. Icky.