Basically, Austria is the one that wins the Austro-Prussian War (whether in gives away Hungary or not, you can choose), and yet despite butterfly effects, a Fascist-esque state wins the elections, either after they lose some form of WW1, or perhaps for different reasons. Please make the best scenario you can (me if you feel like it)!

Now, this is confusing, and honestly probably stupid sounding to y’all, but I’m new to the site so hope that makes it okay.

So this interesting. I don't think it would happen. The Hasburgs would need to really go ASB in the head to even allow it.
Well, in my opinion what’s what makes it fun. What would cause such militant nationalism to arise in the first place? And maybe the Nazis could actually establish power after a military coup? Just a few thoughts.

Franz Josef was widely admired and even loved by many Jews for his tolerance shown towards their community, he also repeatedly refused to appoint Karl Luger (notorious anti-Semite) as Mayor of Vienna.

I can't see any reason why Kasier Karl or Ferdinand would ever consider becoming ultranationalists or adopt anti-Jewish policies.

Just the fact of Austria winning in 1866 would unleash a swarm of butterflies massive enough to blot out the sun :p
It was a very particular chain of events and set of circumstances that led to the events which culminated in the 1st World War... it was also a specific set of circumstances stemming from the conclusion of that war, which led to the rise of Hitler and the Nazis. To postulate that an event similar to WWI, coming to a conclusion in roughly the same manner, and leading to the rise of a Fascist/Nazi-like regime in the great Austro-Germanic Empire, might require recourse to the sort of parallelism that would make even Turtledove blush :)
Also this probably should be in Pre-1900, since it hinges upon an Austrian victory in 1866...

The POD is so early that there is no guarantee the world wars even happen, let alone the rise of facism.
Yeah, something tells me that a German state united under Austria instead of Prussia is going to make radically different political decisions, which would ultimately avert the rise of any sort of Nazi movement, alternate or otherwise.

Last edited: