Nazi Architecture madness

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can have a genocide memorial that looks sad, meaningful, and aesthetically beautiful at the same time. There are such monuments as well.The Hiroshima Peace Park, for example, or the Stalingrad Memorial:

Modeling such things on the Vietnam War memorial in DC would be a good idea IMO.

My real concern, if I was a German living in Germania in 1950, would be the fact that the plan for Germania and other German cities would irrepreprably harm the historic setting of these places. On the other hand, the possibility exists that Allied bombing before the great victory might have already destroyed much of the historic city centre, so there wouldn't be all that much to salvage. Nonetheless, I'd lobby the Nazis to build entirely new regional centres and a monumental capital to embody the ideals of the New Germany and honor the ancient German cities of the Reich by restoring them to their prewar beauty.

IIRC, only Berlin was supposed to be "re-done" completely; Hitler thought it had a "provincial" look to it, and should be elevated to an imperial capital. Other cities were to be "improved" with Nazi architecture, but not completely replaced by it.

How I'd imagine modern Nazi architecture

mi5.jpg

Yep, thats the MI5 building in London, in its hideous awfulness

Also in a Nazi victory timeline... the puppet government headquarters in small British towns

Ashampoo_SnaSwansea%20Guildhall%201935.p_2012.07.09_15h18m56s_001_.jpg

So I was looking at some image searches for the Breitspurbahn (Hitlers giant train) and I was wondering why no renders exist of it having three floors to it. Seems like it would be ideal for three floors. Perhaps because the idea of three floors was considered to cramped?

rrvpOyV.jpg

i'm pretty sure they actually had the money to do it. last year germany coughed up 30 billion € just by finding a rounding error in their calculations.

take all the costs for the buildings and everything related, distribute it over 15, 20 years it would take to build it and it becomes almost trivial. there's also the issue of cheap slave labor involved during the construction.

personally, i'm a bit surprised that hitlers berlin lacks parks and trees - he did like forests and nature.

Dorozhand

Banned
The problem with avante-garde architecture is that it doesn't blend with the straight-line euclideanism of the old society. A single avante-garde/non-Euclidean/R'lyehan building looks hideous, but a whole city of them would be mind-bogglingly awesome.
I would advise avante-garde architects to wait for the revolution, when the garden of the new humanity can bloom. Where cities of winding 3 dimensional streets, curved, viny buttresses and many-angled halls covered in surreal bas-reliefs will rise from the ashes and remake the world.

First: A train that large is impractical.
Second: I give the steam locomotive 15 miles tops before something bad happens.I don't see side tanks or a tender.
Do you believe I actually missed the steam train next to it? Looking at it again, I'm basically going "holy crap, they were trying to build it HOW big?!"

I place every senior Nazi at 1 1/2" max. Seriously, there is no way any of this was sane.

Still looked cool, though. I'll agree with Dorozhand; a city with a titanic building and a lot of tiny houses looks ridiculous, but an entire city of large structures is pretty awesome.

Do you believe I actually missed the steam train next to it? Looking at it again, I'm basically going "holy crap, they were trying to build it HOW big?!"

I place every senior Nazi at 1 1/2" max. Seriously, there is no way any of this was sane.

Still looked cool, though. I'll agree with Dorozhand; a city with a titanic building and a lot of tiny houses looks ridiculous, but an entire city of large structures is pretty awesome.
You shouldn't bump year-old threads.

I found this picture of München gigantic Train Station
Planed by the German architect Paul Bonatz in 1938/39

had they build, its it had size 383,5 meter ø and dome high of 116,65 meter
with more internal volume as Halle des Volkes and had biggest 360 ° Window in the World...

Along the 6,6 km "The Avenue Of Triumph" had to be biggest Opera in the world, three times in size of Paris Opera

And 25 years later when all this is finally completed, half of the train station will be permanently empty and will be used as a giant parking garage because both the Autobahn and the Volkswagen do so well. And the opera can directly be repurposed as a giant TV studio, big enough to film Krieg Der Sterne

Status
Not open for further replies.