NASCAR: An Alternative History (Dead)

BONUS BONUS POST: Here's some Richard Petty tribute programs that ESPN and KSN made. Both were shown on their respective networks in the week leading up to Petty's final race.

Nascar Stories: The 1992 Solo Cup Championship
Here it is folks, the finale you've been waiting for!

NASCAR STORIES: THE (1992) CHAMPIONSHIP

55c198400a400844363bb66a9a4b4bab.jpg

Ontario Motor Speedway. The Indy of the west. (This is an older pic, the area is more built up now).
Here it is, championship Sunday. The Napa 500 at Ontario Motor Speedway. An enormous crowd is expected. This race has been sold out for months. Infield camping opened up a week early. Both the California Highway Patrol and National Guard will be there to keep the massive crowd in control in case of another riot happening like back in the spring (the LA riots). Many across the country have come to southern California see Richard Petty's final race, and an epic final four championship battle. The decision to return to a final four this year has turned out to be a great idea. Davey Allison, Bill Elliott, Kyle Petty, and Alan Kulwicki will all battle to become the 1992 NASCAR Solo Cup champion.

d44787c924d6d2177e31e367a7ba85a3.jpg

Davey Allison is the heavy favorite coming into this race, this has been his best season to date. He's won the Daytona 500 and the Solo Cup of a Million. After losing the points lead at the end of August, Allison has returned to the front (thanks to Elliott's dnf's). Winning this championship will top off his season and then he will join his father Bobby as only the second father-son champions of NASCAR (Richard Petty and his father Lee are the only ones currently).

7f2344b78a70b0b1726a581b37dc86b6.jpg

Bill Elliott has been Davey's biggest competitor all season. Elliott has had a turnaround season after buying back into his once family owned team. Elliott believes winning this championship will be the beginning of his team's return to their mid-80's form and is calling it his "Renaissance".

photostudio_1573527073144.jpg

For Kyle Petty, it's been an uphill battle. He started the season irrelevant but has quietly worked his way up to be here. While one Petty would close his book, another would write the next chapter. He would also make it three generations of champions, continuing the strong Petty lineage. Petty told the media on press day,
I knew I'd be here. I also haven't forgotten what Davey did to me earlier this season. I'm gonna go out there Sunday and give him Hell. This will be the single greatest day in Petty family history.
Petty also would return Mopar to their former glory. A Chrysler product hasn't won a championship since Richard won in 1975 with a Dodge Charger. For them to return three years ago and become this competitive quickly shows how committed they are to NASCAR and why more teams should consider running them.

saga-the-early-90s-kulwicki.jpg

Alan Kulwicki is sort of a surprise finalist. He's been in the top five in points almost all season. While other small owner-driver teams around him have faded away, his continues to rise. Signing Geoff Bodine to replace bust Eddie Bierschwale surprised many and even though Bodine didn't make the playoffs, both drivers have won this season. Now, Alan looks to prove that even the smaller teams have a chance to achieve success. He told the media,
My whole career has been building up to this moment. I knew my team would one day get to this point and here we are; I just wish Geoff (Bodine) was up here too. Sunday I plan to establish myself and my team as a new top challenger in Solo Cup racing.

hqdefault.jpg

It was finally time for the race. Over 400,000 were estimated in attendance. Kyle Petty and his sisters gave the command for their father and the other drivers to start their engines. The cars rolled off of pit road under the pace laps. Apache helicopters circled overhead doing some air formations including flying only about seven or eight feet above the track! The green flag waved. Front row starters Rick Mast and Ricky Rudd made it one lap around the track before taking each other out. Rudd went to the low side to pass Mast, but Mast defended and ended up spinning in front of Rudd and both cars went into the wall. Mast only had damage to his rear while Rudd's car was destroyed. Elliott and Petty were right behind the accident and suprisingly made it past. Elliott suffered some rear end damage though when he slowed down and was bumped by Larry Pearson, who got caught up in the wreck.

Richard Petty's final race went up in flames. He was caught in a wreck on the frontstretch and was clipped in the left side by Darrell Waltrip. This caused his oil line to burst and his car caught on fire. Safety crews were able to put it out quickly. Petty told ESPN afterwards,
This isn't the way I wanted to go out but sadly it is. I'd like to thank everyone for supporting me the last 33 years and hope they'll support Robert (Pressley) and he'll restore the former glory of my team.
He was able to get back out to say he finished his final race.

th

The three Fords of the final four eventually were all in the top ten with Allison and Kulwicki in the top five. Kyle Petty was struggling. He had fallen back to 18th and was a lap down. A chance to continue the Petty legacy was slipping away. Then, Terry Schoonover lost control of his car on the frontstretch, spun, and collected Bill Elliott. Elliott's chances of a third championship ended right then and there. Kyle was now in the top ten and got his lap back. He could legitly contend now, or so he thought. His championship quest ended when he blew his engine with 25 to go. The day of the Pettys was now far from Kyle's hopes.

de6334545fea8b9c5eb30d6ea1c64dad.jpg

It was now going to be Allison vs Kulwicki for the race win and championship. Whoever led more laps would be the champion. Davey had led the most laps of the race so far, but Alan was leading, and pulling away. Both pitted at the same time for gas. Davey was hoping this is where he'd take the lead but he didn't, Alan was off pit road first. He could pull off the championship upset. No one really expected him to be up here contending for a championship, but here he was about to win it.

The checkered flag fell. Alan Kulwicki won the race, got the most laps led, and won the 1992 championship! Everyone was shocked and amazed. "Alan Kulwicki is the suprise champion!" CBS's Ken Squire proclaimed. "This is a real life Cinderella story!" Kulwicki did his "Polish Victory Lap" (going around the track clockwise) and joined his crew on the finish line to celebrate. When asked what the championship meant to him he said,
I think it means I eat at Hooters for free now and have any girl I want? (laughs) Wow. We did it. I think there's little to nobody here that thought I would be here right now. It still doesn't feel real like shouldn't Davey be standing here? I know he will soon but today this is my time. We were the Underbirds in this, just look at what the front bumper of my car says. (https://i.ytimg.com/vi/32Yf1EFN1Ao/maxresdefault.jpg) This championship shows that the little guys should never give up. I was worried that I'd end up like J.D. McDuffie and just be another also ran in the series but no. People believed in me and to go above and beyond their expectations shows that we are here. AK Racing is now a real force in the Solo Cup Series.

On being runner up Allison said,
Really thought we were going to cap off my best season with the championship. Sad that we didn't, but happy to see Alan and his guys get it. That's a dream come true right there. I'll be back next year to win it.

YOUR 1992 NASCAR SOLO CUP CHAMPION: ALAN KULWICKI

636463367237054533-AK92.JPG

The final standings are:

1 Alan Kulwicki 4078
2 Davey Allison 4068 -10
3 Bill Elliott 4065 -13
4 Kyle Petty 4060 -18
5 Mark Martin 4045 -33
6 Harry Gant 4037 -41
7 Dale Earnhardt 4035 -43
8 Terry Labonte 4024 -54
9 Darrell Waltrip 4019 -59
10 Terry Schoonover 4003 -65
11 Bobby Hamilton 3998 -70
12 Rusty Wallace 3994 -74
13 Geoff Bodine 3989 -79
14 Sterling Marlin 3986 -82
15 Ernie Irvan 3981 -87
16 Ricky Rudd 3977 -91
17 Tim Richmond 3974 -94
18 Ted Musgrave 3965 -103
19 Brett Bodine 3951 -107
20 Dale Jarrett 3947 -111

Awards next post!

Last edited:
Congratulations to Alan Kulwicki champion of the 1992 NASCAR Solo Cup Series and I Hope he will be the Champion for Next Year's Solo Cup Series in 1993 or maybe Davey Allison but ITTL: Neither Alan nor Davey will die just like it did IOTL due to seperate plane crashes.

1992 Awards
636312331200451529-AP-921204074.jpg

1992%20Banquet%20001%205x8.jpg

i
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR:
Solo Cup:
Kenny Wallace
Both Wallace and Bobby Labonte struggled all season to get top 25's, but Kenny had more of them, plus fewer dnf's.
Busch Series: Clifford Allison

CREW CHIEF OF THE YEAR:
Solo Cup:
Tony Glover #4 Oldsmobile
Busch Series: Ricky Pearson #59 Oldsmobile

PIT CREW OF THE YEAR:
Solo Cup:
#9 Elliott-Melling Racing Ford
Busch Series: #59 Oldsmobile

MOST POPULAR DRIVER:
Solo Cup:
Bill Elliott
Busch Series: Joe Nemechek

MANUFACTURER OF THE YEAR:
Solo Cup:
Ford
Busch Series: Chevrolet

MOST IMPROVED DRIVER:
Solo Cup:
Ernie Irvan
Busch Series: Randy LaJoie

The full Solo Cup awards from the Waldorf Astoria in New York can be seen here:

Last edited:
1993 NASCAR SEASON
MANUFACTURERS: This is the only real news coming into the season. This may be Oldsmobile's final year in NASCAR. With dwindling support in the Solo Cup, plans to replace the Cutlass Supreme with a new model next year that won't have a coupe, and the old Buick IndyCar V8's now being badged as Olds, their days are numbered. Only four cars amongst two teams (Morgan McClure with the #4 and #14 and the Jackson Brothers with the #33 and #55) run them. There's no real effort to keep them around as GM thinks they had too many marques and wants to concentrate on Chevy and Pontiac. These two teams will just probably end up switching to another GM product or maybe Ford or Chrysler.

26601720001_large.jpg

The end for Olds? Might be so.

1993 Solo Cup Lineup
1993 SOLO CUP LINEUP

#07 AK Racing Hanes Ford: Geoff Bodine

#0 Ford: Delma Cowart
Superspeedways only.

#2 Roush-Shitech Racing Valvoline/Shitech Ford: Mark Martin

#3 RCR GM Goodwrench/Wrangler Chevrolet: Dale Earnhardt
Earnhardt is hoping to be contending for a fourth championship after going winless last year and finishing seventh in points.

#4 Morgan-McClure Kodak Oldsmobile: Terry Schoonover

#5 Hendrick Motorsports Kelloggs Corn Flakes Chevrolet: Terry Labonte

#6 RaDiUs Motorsports Motel 6 Pontiac: Ted Musgrave

#7 AK Racing Hooters Ford: Alan Kulwicki
Reigning champion

#8 SAR Super 8 Motel Chrysler: Ron Bouchard

#9 Elliott-Melling Racing Coors Light Ford: Bill Elliott

#10 Cale Yarborough Purolator Chrysler: Derrike Cope
Yarborough buys out the Bob Whitcomb team. The car gets a new scheme. They wanted to make a tribute to when Purolator sponsored the Wood Brothers in the 70's with David Pearson but we're prevented from doing so. Instead, the car is white with a blue stripe along the side. It looks like this:
_7Purolatorref-vi.jpg

Pretend it's a #10 Chrysler LeBaron.

#11 Junior Johnson & Associates Budweiser/Bud Light Ford: Brett Bodine

#12 Junior Johnson & Associates Busch Beer Ford: Bobby Hamilton

#14 Morgan-McClure Slim Jim Oldsmobile: Bobby Labonte

#15 Michael Kranefuss Ford Motorcraft Ford: Dick Trickle
Another team under new ownership. Kranefuss is the head of Ford Racing, but unlike the Unocal 76 team, this isn't directly owned by Ford Motor Company. This is his own team.

#16 Team Penske Marlboro/Pennzoil Pontiac: Kenny Wallace

#17 Hendrick Motorsports WAL-MART Chevrolet: Darrell Waltrip

#18 NFL Motorsports Interstate Batteries Chrysler: Dale Jarrett
This team is looking to build momentum in their sophomore season.

#19 Elliott-Rypien Maxwell House/Mayflower Transit/Kleenex Ford: Chad Little
Redskins quarterback Mark Rypien has bought into the Elliott-Melling team. As a result, he's now the owner of this #19 Ford. Two new sponsors join as well.

#20 Fina Lube Ford: Randy LaJoie
Rookie contender.

#21 Wood Brothers Citgo Ford: Ernie Irvan

#22 SAR Raybestos Brakes Chrysler: Hut Stricklin

#23 Bahari Racing Mobil 1 Pontiac: Michael Waltrip

#24 Hendrick Motorsports DuPont Chevrolet: Joe Nemechek
The team changes numbers from #35 after getting permission from NASCAR. This team wanted a fresh start and a new identity with a new driver. Other numbers considered were #46, a Days of Thunder reference, and #87, Joe's Busch Series number. Nobody seemed interested in 46, and Joe didn't want 87 because one day, he plans to bring his Busch Series team to Cup with his little brother, John Nemechek. #24 was chosen at random after Joe pulled a number out of a hat.

#25 Hendrick Motorsports Kodiak Chevrolet: Tim Richmond
Richmond continues to battle HIV. He's staying healthy and getting counseling and treatment. He hopes to win a race this year after not doing so last year

#26 King Racing Quaker State Ford: Ricky Rudd

#27 Team Penske Miller Genuine Draft Pontiac: Rusty Wallace

#28 Robert Yates Texaco Havoline Ford: Davey Allison
Hoping to be champion this year.

#31 RCR Mom n' Pops Chevrolet: Neil Bonnett

#33 Jackson Brothers Skoal Bandit Oldsmobile: Harry Gant

#36 Pontiac: H.B. Bailey
Part-time

#41 Larry Hedrick Tide Chevrolet: Larry Pearson

#42 SABCO Mellow Yellow Chrysler: Kyle Petty

#43 Petty Enterprises STP Chrysler: Robert Pressley
Rookie contender.

#44 Billy Hagan Sunoco Chevrolet: Sterling Marlin
Switches to Chevy for the first time since 1985.

#48 Pontiac: James Hylton
Part-time

#51 Phoenix Racing Chevrolet: Jeff Purvis
Part-time

#52 Napa Ford: Jimmy Hensley
Jimmy Means retires from driving and gives the ride to Hensley. Hensley has been wanting to move to Cup for a while and now this is his opportunity. Napa Auto Parts comes on to be sponsor.

#55 Jackson Brothers Skoal Classic Oldsmobile: Rick Mast

#60 Roush-Shitech Little Caesar's Ford: Jeff Gordon
Rookie contender. Gordon is being hyped as Ford's future star driver. Time will tell if he lives up to expectations.

#66 Travis Carter Enterprises Phillips 66 Ford: Jimmy Spencer

#68 Tri Star Motorsports Country Time Lemonade Ford: Greg Sacks
Switches to Ford.

#69 Tri Star Motorsports Country Time Ford: Dorsey Schroeder
Road courses only.

#71 Chevrolet: Dave Marcis

#73 Oldsmobile: Phil Barkdoll
Superspeedways only

#76 Unocal 76 Pontiac: Butch Miller
Hoping to rebound from a disastrous 92 season where they couldn't make the top twenty in every race.

#77 Pontiac: Morgan Shepherd
This is Shepherd's own car now. He will be part time.

#83 Purex Detergent Ford: Lake Speed
Part time.

#90 Junie Donlavey Heilig-Meyers Furniture Ford: Bobby Hillin Jr

1993 Busch Series Lineup
1993 BUSCH SERIES LINEUP:
This will be a big year for the series with teams getting major sponsorships and tons of rookies to battle for Rookie of the year.​

#05 Innkeeper Chevrolet: Richard Lassater

#08 DeWalt Chevrolet: Bobby Dotter
Dotter gets his first major sponsorship from DeWalt power tools

#0 Skoal Classic Oldsmobile: Rick Mast
Leech

#1 Bill Davis Racing Luxaire Ford: Rodney Combs
Replaces Jeff Gordon.

#2 Hyde Tools Chevrolet: Roy Payne
Moves up from ARCA to be a rookie contender.

#3 GM Goodwrench Chevrolet: Dale Earnhardt
Leech

#4 Kodak Oldsmobile: Ernie Irvan
Leech

#6 Roses Stores Ford: Tommy Houston

#7 Ed Whittaker French's Mustard Chevrolet: Harry Gant
Leech

#8 FILMAR Racing Baby Ruth Ford: Elton Sawyer
New sponsor and switches to Ford.

#9 Barry Owen FDP Brakes Chevrolet: Clifford Allison

#12 Chevrolet: David Bonnett
Son of Neil Bonnett. Will run part time in a car owned by his dad.

#14 MW Windows Chevrolet: Terry Labonte
Leech

#16 Day Enterprises Chevrolet: Jeff Green
Part-time

#17 WAL-MART Chevrolet: Darrell Waltrip
Leech

#19 Carol Levin Chrysler: Tom Peck
Switches to Chrysler.

#20 Moroso Racing Fina Lube Ford: Randy LaJoie
Leech.

#22 Oldsmobile: Ed Berrier
part time.

#23 Mobil 1 Pontiac: Michael Waltrip
Leech

#27 A.G. Dillard Hardees Chevrolet: Ward Burton

#28 Texaco Havoline/Mac Tools Ford: Davey Allison/Bobby Hillin Jr
Leeches

#29 Chevrolet: Phil Parsons
Part-time

#31 Channelock Chrysler: Steve Grissom

#32 Interstate Batteries Chrysler: Dale Jarrett
Leech.

#34 Frank Cicci Fiddle Faddle Chevrolet: Todd Bodine
Fiddle Faddle is caramel or toffee covered popcorn.

#36 Chevrolet: Nathan Buttke (great name I know look him up)
ARCA driver looking to land a full time Busch Series ride next season.

#40 RaDiUs Motorsports Jasper Engines Pontiac: Tim Fedewa
Rookie contender

#44 Slim Jim Oldsmobile: David Green
The last competitive Olds in the field.

#45 Ford: Jimmy Spencer
Leech

#49 Ed Feree Polaroid Chevrolet: Shawna Robinson
Will attempt the full season as a rookie. Polaroid comes onboard to sponsor.

#52 AC Delco Chevrolet: Ken Schrader
Schrader will run most of the season. He also plans to run in lower racing series such as ARCA, ASA (A short track late model stock car series), and dirt track racing.

#55 Beverly Racing Virginia is for Lovers Chevrolet: Hermie Sadler
Rookie contender.

#57 Chevrolet: Jason Keller
Part time. Plans to run full time next season.

#58 NFL Chrysler: Jerry Glanville
Part-time.

#59 Alliance Truck Parts Ford: Dennis Setzer
Replaces Robert Pressley. Setzer is an up and coming driver who is finally getting his big break. He also looks like a caveman:

s-l300_kindlephoto-5055386.jpg

#60 Roush-Shitech Winn-Dixie Ford: Mark Martin
Leech

#63 Hensley Racing Nestle Nescafe Pontiac: Chuck Bown

#66 Dirt Devil Pontiac: Kenny and Rusty Wallace
Leeches

#72 Detroit Gasket Chevrolet: Tracy Leslie

#74 BACE Motorsports Staff America Chevrolet: Jack Sprague
Bill Baumgartner, the owner of Staff America, bought the team from Fred Turner. This was the #48 car and has been renumbered.

#75 Henderson Brothers Food Country USA Chevrolet: Jeff Burton
Burton was able to find a full time ride for 93'.

#77 Pontiac: Morgan Shepherd
Somewhat Leech

#79 Lipton Tea Ford: Dave Rezendes
part time. Lipton comes on to sponsor him.

#81 FILMAR Racing TIC Insurance Ford: Patty Moise

#87 NEMCO Motorsports Dentyne Chevrolet: Joe Nemechek
Leech. New sponsor.

#92 Stanley Tools Chevrolet: Larry Pearson
Leech

#94 Bosch Spark Plugs Ford: Bill/Casey Elliott
Casey will run some races in preparation for a rookie campaign in 1994.

#97 A.C. Delco Pontiac: Joe Bessey

#98 Lysol Chevrolet: Jim Bown
Part-time. Lysol joins.

#99 DuPont Chevrolet: Ricky Craven
Hopes for a cup ride in 94'.

Last edited:
1993 Schedule
1993 NASCAR SCHEDULE

FEBRUARY 7-14: DAYTONA SPEEDWEEKS

CUP: Busch Clash: CBS

CUP: Gatorade Duels: CBS

BUSCH: Goody's 300: CBS

CUP: Daytona 500: CBS

FEBRUARY 20-21: AUSTRALIA

BUSCH: Goodyear 300K: ESPN

CUP: Goodyear 500K: ESPN
It was announced this will be the final year in Australia. NASCAR is currently exploring other international options. They'll make an announcement later in the season.

FEBRUARY 27-28: ROCKINGHAM

BUSCH: GM Goodwrench 300: KSN

CUP: GM Goodwrench 500: KSN

MARCH 6-7: ATLANTA

BUSCH: Slick 50 300: ESPN

CUP: Hooters 500: ESPN

MARCH 13-14

BUSCH: Miller 500K, Martinsville Speedway: KSN

CUP: BYE

MARCH 27-28: DARLINGTON

BUSCH: Mark III Vans 300: ESPN

CUP: Transouth Financial 400: ESPN

APRIL 3-4: BRISTOL

BUSCH: Budweiser 300: ESPN

CUP: Food City 500: ESPN

APRIL 10-11 (Easter)

BUSCH: Mountain Dew 400K, Hickory Motor Speedway: KSN

APRIL 17-18: NORTH WILKESBORO

BUSCH: BYE

CUP: First Union 400: ESPN

APRIL 24-25

BUSCH: Nestle 300, Lanier Speedway: KSN

CUP: Hanes 500, Martinsville Speedway:ESPN

MAY 1-2: TALLADEGA

BUSCH: FRAM Filters 500K: ESPN

CUP: Solo 500: ESPN

MAY 8-9

BUSCH: Pontiac 200, Nazareth Speedway: KSN

CUP: Shitech 420, Nashville Fairgrounds: KSN

MAY 15-16: DOVER
Now held before Charlotte.

BUSCH: Bud Light 200: KSN

CUP: Budweiser 400: KSN

MAY 22-23

CUP: Solo All-Star Weekend, Darlington Raceway ESPN
Run under the lights for Darlington's first nighttime event.

MAY 29-30 CHARLOTTE

BUSCH: Champion Spark Plugs 300: TBS

CUP: Coca-Cola 600: TBS

JUNE 5-6

BUSCH: Roses Stores 300, Orange County Speedway (Roguemont): KSN

CUP: Save Mart 300K, Sears Point Raceway: ESPN

JUNE 13-14

CUP: Champion Spark Plugs 500: ESPN

JUNE 20-21

BUSCH: Carolina Ford Dealers 250, Myrtle Beach Speedway: KSN

CUP: Miller Genuine Draft 400: CBS

JUNE 27-28

BUSCH: Havoline 250, Milwaukee Mile: KSN
The Milwaukee Mile returns to the Busch series circuit for the first time since 1985. It will be run the day before the IndyCar race. (Yes the IndyCar TL is coming. I'm just gonna get a few races into this and it will start.)

JULY 2-3: DAYTONA
Both races will be night races

BUSCH: Firecracker 250: ESPN
First July race for the series.

CUP: Pepsi 400: ESPN

JULY 10-11

BUSCH: Shitech 250: KSN

CUP: Jiffy Lube 300, Hillside International Speedway: ESPN
Inaugural race . I'll have the track's story of how it got to be when the race happens.

JULY 17-18

BUSCH: The Pantry 300, Hickory Speedway: KSN

CUP: Briggs & Stratton 400K, Road America: TBS

JULY 24-25

BUSCH: Hardees 300: South Boston Speedway: KSN

CUP: Diehard 500: CBS

JULY 31- AUGUST 1

BUSCH: Kroger 200, Indianapolis Raceway Park: ESPN

CUP: Texaco Havoline 500: ESPN

AUGUST 7-8: WATKINS GLEN

BUSCH: Fay's 200: ESPN

CUP: Budweiser at the Glen: ESPN

AUGUST 14-15: MICHIGAN

BUSCH: Detroit Gasket 200: ESPN

CUP: Mopar 400: ESPN

AUGUST 20-21

BUSCH: New England Chevy Dealers 250: KSN

AUGUST 27-28: BRISTOL

BUSCH: Food City 300: ESPN

CUP: Busch 500: ESPN

SEPTEMBER 4-5: DARLINGTON

BUSCH: Gatorade 300: ESPN

CUP: Mountain Dew Southern 500: ESPN
Switches to nighttime.

• SOLO CUP PLAYOFFS: ROUND OF 12
SEPTEMBER 10-11: RICHMOND

BUSCH: Autolite Platinum 250: TBS

CUP: Wrangler 400: TBS

SEPTEMBER 18-19: DOVER

BUSCH: SplitFire Spark Plugs 200: KSN

CUP: Peak Antifreeze 400: KSN

• PLAYOFFS: ROUND OF 10
SEPTEMBER 25-26: MARTINSVILLE

BUSCH: Advance Auto Parts 200: ESPN

CUP: Goody's 500: ESPN

OCTOBER 2-3

CUP: Tyson Holly Farms 400: ESPN

• PLAYOFFS ROUND OF 8
OCTOBER 9-10: CHARLOTTE ROVAL

BUSCH: All Pro Auto Parts 200: TBS

CUP: Mello Yello Roval 400K: TBS

OCTOBER 16-17: ROCKINGHAM

BUSCH: AC DELCO 300: KSN

CUP: AC DELCO 500: KSN

• PLAYOFFS: ROUND OF 6
OCTOBER 23-24: PHOENIX

BUSCH: Arizona 300: KSN

CUP: Checker Auto Parts 500: KSN

OCTOBER 31: Coors Light 500: TBS

• FINAL FOUR CHAMPIONSHIP RACE AT ONTARIO
NOVEMBER 7: Napa Auto Parts 500: CBS

Last edited:
So Darlington has the All Star Race? That's interesting. Are more of the teams based in SC, because the reason the All Star is in Charlotte is because it's a "home" race for most drivers?

Will the Mountain Dew Southern 500 night race at Darlington have a throwback weekend just like IOTL starting in 2015 at Darlington?

Hello! I find this series fascinating. Just had a suggestion. In real life, Jeff Gordon chose Hendrick over Bill Davis, and that was the reason he drove a Chevrolet in the Cup series. It's interesting that you have him in a Ford here, but I feel like it should be a Bill Davis Ford. That way, the questions of how Gordon would've done in a Ford and how Gordon would've done if he hadn't moved to Hendrick's team would be answered.

Hello! I find this series fascinating. Just had a suggestion. In real life, Jeff Gordon chose Hendrick over Bill Davis, and that was the reason he drove a Chevrolet in the Cup series. It's interesting that you have him in a Ford here, but I feel like it should be a Bill Davis Ford. That way, the questions of how Gordon would've done in a Ford and how Gordon would've done if he hadn't moved to Hendrick's team would be answered.
I like having Jeff at a better Ford team, Roush. Bill Davis will stick around in Busch. He is designated as a Ford development team. I also don't want too many Busch series teams to move to cup because they all died in a few years. Bill Davis was able to stick around longer IOTL, but I don't want him in cup for personal reasons. Hope you follow along. 1993 speedweeks is coming soon!

This took too fucking long...
RACE REPORTS: DAYTONA SPEEDWEEKS
BUSCH CLASH: Dale Earnhardt won his third clash. The start of the race was delayed due to Bill Elliott's car leaking oil onto the track. Fortunately he was able to get the problem fixed and finished ninth. New for this year was a divided format. The race was split into two ten lap halves with cautions not counting (the only caution in this race was the end of stage one). Here's the full results; this is something new I'll do for 1993 for most races (not for ARCA races):

Fin St Car# Driver Sponsor / Owner Car Laps Money Status Led
1 13 3 Dale Earnhardt GM Goodwrench (Richard Childress) Chevrolet 20 60,000 running 10
2 12 25 Tim Richmond Kodiak (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 20 29,000 running 0
3 1 4 Terry Schoonover Kodak Film (Larry McClure) Oldsmobile 20 37,500 running 5
4 8 2 Mark Martin Valvoline (Jack Roush) Ford 20 21,000 running 0
5 11 5 Terry Labonte Kellogg's Corn Flakes (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 20 16,000 running 0
6 15 28 Davey Allison Havoline (Robert Yates) Ford 20 17,000 running 0
7 10 42 Kyle Petty Mello Yello (Felix Sabates) Chrysler 20 13,000 running 0
8 6 12 Bobby Hamilton Busch Beer (Junior Johnson) Ford 20 11,500 running 1
9 4 9 Bill Elliott Coors Light (Harry Melling) Ford 20 10,500 running 2
10 5 7 Alan Kulwicki Hooters (Alan Kulwicki) Ford 20 12,000 running 0
11 9 17 Darrell Waltrip Wal-Mart (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 20 10,000 running 2
12 3 27 Rusty Wallace Miller Genuine Draft (Roger Penske) Pontiac 20 18,500 running 0
13 2 26 Ricky Rudd Quaker State (Kenny Bernstein) Ford 20 13,000 running 0
14 7 55 Rick Mast Skoal Classic (Richard Jackson) Oldsmobile 20 11,000 running 0
15 14 52 Jimmy Hensley NAPA (Jimmy Means) Ford 20 10,000 running 0

All of them except Hensley were pole winners in 1992. That is how a driver qualifies for this race. Hensley was chosen randomly to be a field filler.

ARCA 200: Many ARCA drivers were hoping to do well in this race and make a name for themselves. Then lap 3 happened. Bob Schact dumped Tim Fedewa, who was running the race in preparation for the Busch race. Everyone piled up behind them. In all, 14 drivers were taken out.

hqdefault.jpg

After the wreck, the race became a parade as Jeff Purvis dominated to win. Steve park was second, then Dale Earnhardt's former crew chief, Kirk Shermaldine, and an up and coming driver named Jeremy Mayfield. Purvis' team, Phoenix Racing, had just merged with the Morgan-McClure team from the Solo Cup. The car he won in was a hand-me-down Terry Schoonover Olds that was repainted. Purvis will make part-time Busch Series starts in Schoonover's #4 car.

dr-jerry-punch-of-espn-interviews-jeff-purvis-after-purvis-won-the-picture-id108441346

DUELS: Joe Nemechek held off Bill Elliott and Daytona 500 pole sitter Kyle Petty to win. In victory lane he said,

Last year's miracle qualifier, Delma Cowart, dnq'd along with Dorsey Schroeder, trying out superspeedway racing, and Phil Barkdoll, who crashed with Neil Bonnett. Bonnett will get an owner's points provisional to start Sunday as well as Jimmy Spencer, who blew his engine.

Dale Earnhardt won the second duel easily over Geoff Bodine and outside pole sitter Dale Jarrett. Morgan Shepherd, Jeff Purvis in a third Morgan-McClure car, the #51 Delco-Remey Olds, and Jimmy Hensley dnq'd making it six drivers who miss out on the 34th Daytona 500. Ernie Irvan, Rusty Wallace, Derrike Cope will get provisionals.

James Hylton's hauler crashed along I-95 near Jacksonville. He and his son/crew chief James Jr. were in their hauler when it lost control and rolled into its side. They were okay but the trailer was destroyed as well as their Pontiac Grand Prix. Hylton didn't know what to do. He didn't have a backup car. He figured he'd have to go back to Virginia and build another car for another race.

Then, his fortune changed. Bobby Allison offered him Ron Bouchard's backup car to run in the duel. Hylton accepted the car. The Super 8 decals were removed and 4's were put in front of the 8's so he could be his normal #48. He started 24th out of 27th in the second duel. Hylton quickly moved up into the top twenty and was able to briefly crack the top ten. Running top level Chrysler equipment felt good. In the end, he got sixteenth and made the race. He told CBS' Chris Economacki
I've been out here for over thirty years now. I'm not a top competitor like I was back in the day, but I can still do it. I'd like to thank Bobby Allison for giving me this car. Mopar gets stronger and stronger each year. I think they can win it all this year. Hopefully with me (laughs).

VmjyHBX.jpg
Picture of Hylton taken last year.
IROC 1993 ROUND ONE: Here's the twelve contenders for IROC XVII:

Alan Kulwicki: NASCAR
Davey Allison: NASCAR
Bill Elliott: NASCAR
Geoff Bodine: NASCAR (reigning champion)
Bobby Rahal: IndyCar
Michael Andretti:IndyCar
Al Unser Jr: IndyCar
Geoff Brabham: IMSA
Davy Jones: IMSA
Juan Manuel Fangio II: IMSA
Jack Baldwin: SCCA Trans-Am
and last but not least, Nigel Mansell: Formula One
Mansell's announcement came as a surprise. Now the race would truly be an international race of champions. The tournament had wanted to get an F1 driver in the field and now it would finally happen.

Most of the race was a three car battle between Bodine, Unser Jr, and Elliott. Then the only caution came out for Fangio dumping Rahal. Rahal slammed into the frontstretch wall and slid down onto the grass. He was ok. On the restart, Elliott was able to slingshot past Unser and Bodine with the help of Davy Jones. Jones hit the wall on the final lap, but Elliott was in the clear and cruised to a car length win over Davey Allison. Here's the final results:

1 7 10 USA Bill Elliott NASCAR Dodge 40 running 6
2 4 4 USA Davey Allison NASCAR Dodge 40 running 1
3 6 6 USA Al Unser, Jr. CART Dodge 40 running 11
4 3 3 USA Davy Jones IMSA Dodge 40 running 1
5 8 8 USA Geoff Bodine NASCAR Dodge 40 running 21
6 11 11 USA Michael Andretti CART Dodge 40 running 0
7 12 12
australia.png
Geoff Brabham IMSA Dodge 40 running 0
8 7 7 U.K. Nigel Mansell NASCAR Dodge 40 running 0
9 2 2 USA Alan Kulwicki NASCAR Dodge 40 running 0
10 1 1 ARG Juan Manuel Fangio II IMSA Dodge 40 running 0
11 9 9 USA Jack Baldwin SCCA Dodge 40 running 0
12 5 5 USA Bobby Rahal CART Dodge 31 crash 0

GOODY'S: 300: Mark Martin surprisingly dnq'd his Busch Series ride. Fortunately, Dale Jarrett let him drive his #32 Chrysler, and run Mark's Winn-Dixie sponsorship. Martin started 34th, avoided a spinning Todd Bodine, and worked his way up to second behind Dale Earnhardt. Coming to the checkered flag, Martin worked his way around Earnhardt and won by half a car length. Earnhardt's three year streak of winning this race ended. It was also Mark's first Daytona win.​

Screenshot_2019-11-28-22-02-14_kindlephoto-14083919.jpg

STP DAYTONA 500: Dale Earnhardt led most of the race and looked to win his second Daytona 500. He looked like he was going to pull it off, but then on the final lap, Dale Jarrett showed up. Jarrett had started on the front row (2nd) and had run in the top ten, if not the top five, all day. It was Dale vs Dale or as Jarrett's father Ned called it up in the CBS booth, "The Dale n' Dale Show".

On the final lap, Jarrett and Geoff Bodine were on the bottom, Earnhardt and Joe Nemechek up high. Bodine pushed Jarrett into the lead. Bodine then tried to block Earnhardt but Dale shoved him aside and tried to run down Jarrett. Into the fourth turn, Jarrett held the low line. Ned called it up in the booth. "Earnhardt isn't going to make it Dale Jarrett wins the Daytona 500!" His mom Martha nearly passed out on his pit box. Joe Gibbs, Jerry Glanville, and NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue all hugged each other. The NFL had won in NASCAR. It was Jarrett's second Solo Cup win and the first Daytona 500 win for Mopar since 1974.

th

846cceca24a6ba39c574119806549e9a.jpg
On lap 170, Rusty Wallace spun onto the backstretch grass. Upon hitting the grass his car lifted, flipped over, and nearly disintegrated. It was a miracle he was alright. Michael Waltrip and Jimmy Spencer, who led whenever the leaders pitted in the race, were also involved but weren't obliterated like Wallace. After being released from the medical center, he said,
This happened to Darrell Waltrip two years ago, it happened to Tim Fedewa in yesterday's race, and now me! NASCAR needs a way to keep air from getting under the car or to keep it from going airborne when we hit grass. They should also pave over the grass. It doesn't slow us down. It only does this.
Pole sitter Kyle Petty was running well all day until Bobby Hillin took him out. Hillin had a great charge to the front of the field earlier on. He was battling Derrike Cope for position when he tried to block Cope but instead the two spun on the frontstretch. Petty hit Hillin when Bobby was coming back up on track. He had nowhere to go. When they climbed out, Petty shoved Hillin to the ground and was separated from him. Petty told CBS's Mike Joy,
Absolutely no reason for him to have a second chance. Did nothing the first time around now he comes back and continues where he left off. Unbelievable.

Here's the final results:

Pos Grid Car Driver Team Make Laps Laps led Status
2 18 Dale Jarrett NFL Racing Chrysler 200 8 Running
2 4 3 Dale Earnhardt Richard Childress Racing Chevrolet 200 107 Running
3 6 07 Geoff Bodine AK Racing Ford 200 1 Running
4 18 12 Bobby Hamilton Junior Johnson & Associates Ford 200 7 Running
5 3 24 Joe Nemechek (R) Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet 200 2 Running
6 23 2 Mark Martin Roush Racing Ford 200 0 Running
7 32 21 Ernie Irvan Wood Brothers Racing Ford 200 0 Running
8 7 25 Tim Richmond Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet 200 14 Running
9 14 8 Ron Bouchard Stavola Brothers Racing Chrysler 200 1 Running
10 22 60 Jeff Gordon (R) Roush Racing Ford 200 0 Running
11 19 44 Sterling Marlin Hagan Racing Chevrolet 200 0 Running
12 31 55 Rick Mast Jackson Brothers Racing Oldsmobile 200 0 Running
13 30 22 Hut Stricklin Bobby Allison Motorsports Chrysler 200 0 Running
14 13 11 Brett Bodine Junior Johnson and Associates Ford 200 0 Running
15 33 6 Ted Musgrave RaDiUs Motorsports Pontiac 200 0 Running
16 28 23 Michael Waltrip Bahari Racing Pontiac 200 0 Running
17 20 26 Ricky Rudd King Racing Ford 200 0 Running
18 26 17 Darrell Waltrip Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet 200 0 Running
19 39 83 Lake Speed SpeedCo Ford 199 0 Flagged
20 25 76 Butch Miller Unocal 76 Racing Pontiac 199 0 Flagged
21 37 33 Harry Gant Jackson Brothers Motorsports Oldsmobile 199 0 Flagged
22 16 41 Larry Pearson Larry Hedrick Motorsports Chevrolet 199 0 Flagged
23 24 16 Kenny Wallace Penske Racing Pontiac 199 0 Flagged
24 17 19 Chad Little Elliott-Rypien Racing Ford 198 0 Flagged
25 29 14 Bobby Labonte Morgan-McClure Oldsmobile 198 0 Flagged
26 10 7 Alan Kulwicki AK Racing Ford 197 0 Flagged
27 27 68 Greg Sacks TriStar Motorsports Ford 197 0 Flagged
28 11 28 Davey Allison Robert Yates Racing Ford 197 1 Flagged
29 35 66 Jimmy Spencer Travis Carter Enterprises Ford 189 30 Flagged
30 12 5 Terry Labonte Hendrick Motorsports Chevrolet 177 0 Flagged
31 1 42 Kyle Petty SABCO Racing Chrysler 170 19 Contact TO
32 34 27 Rusty Wallace Penske Racing South Pontiac 168 0 Contact BS
33 41 71 Dave Marcis Marcis Auto Racing Chevrolet 164 0 Flagged
34 15 43 Robert Pressley (R) Petty Enterprises Chrysler 163 1 Contact BS
35 9 90 Bobby Hillin, Jr. Donlavey Racing Ford 157 3 Contact TO
36 40 10 Derrike Cope Cale Yarborough Racing Chrysler 157 0 Contact TO
37 8 4 Terry Schoonover (W) Morgan-McClure Motorsports Chevrolet 148 0 Contact BS
38 36 20 Randy LaJoie Moroso Racing Ford 128 0 Engine
39 5 9 Bill Elliott Elliott-Melling Ford 99 0 Engine
40 38 48 James Hylton Chrysler 11 0 Contact T1
41 21 15 Dick Trickle Michael Kranefuss Ford 2 0 Engine

YOUR 1993 DAYTONA 500 WINNER: DALE JARRETT

Dale-Jarrett-1993-daytona-500-winner.jpg

Last edited:
RACE REPORTS: AUSTRALIA AND ROCKINGHAM
GOODYEAR INTERNATIONAL 300K: Driving Mark Martin's car, Australian driver Bob Jane dominated. That's all there is to this race.

GOODYEAR INTERNATIONAL 500K: Kyle Petty and Davey Allison battled for most of the race. In the end, Allison won while Petty fell back to fifth. Bill Elliott had his second dnf in a row. The start to the season this year is the polar opposite from where it was last year. As mentioned earlier, this is the final race they'll have in Australia. NASCAR is currently looking for a new international location for next year.

GOODWRENCH 300: After getting around Dennis Setzer, Mark Martin went on to dominate the race on a near freezing southern North Carolina day. Jason Keller scored his first top ten finishing 8th. Todd Bodine and Tim Fedewa crashed again in separate incidents. Both of them hope to turn their seasons around quickly as Bodine wants to be champion and Fedewa wants to be rookie of the year in a year with tons of other rookies trying to get it as well.

GOODWRENCH 500: The first half of the four hour race saw pole sitter Mark Martin, Terry Schoonover, and Dale Earnhardt trade the lead. Eventually, Rusty Wallace joined in and took the lead for the first time in lap 275 of 492. Wallace and Team Penske were showing the preparations they underwent in off-season to turn around from last year's underwhelming run which saw them miss the playoffs. Wallace won the race off pit road during the final three cautions, and cruised to an easy victory over Earnhardt Schoonover, and Alan Kulwicki. Martin was fifth.

Harry Gant ran in the top five most of the day until his oil pump failed with 40 to go. Australia winner Davey Allison finished 14th after being spun by Bill Elliott. Daytona 500 winner Dale Jarrett got sixth, his best finish at The Rock. Ted Musgrave got another good top ten finish in 7th after starting 5th, and Larry Pearson got a surprise 8th.

Kyle Petty hoped to do well at his home track and even though his car ran well, it suffered a broken clutch during his first pit stop and he finished 32nd, 62 laps down. Rick Mast,Darrell Waltrip and Ron Bouchard were both having good days until Waltrip and Bouchard were caught in separate incidents, and Mast's engine died.

Here's the full results:

Fin St # Driver Sponsor / Owner Car Laps Money Status Led Pts
1 10 27
usa.png
Rusty Wallace Miller Genuine Draft (Roger Penske) Pontiac 492 42,735 running 203 185
2 7 3
usa.png
Dale Earnhardt GM Goodwrench (Richard Childress) Chevrolet 492 47,585 running 133 175
3 2 4
usa.png
Terry Schoonover Kodak Film (Larry McClure) Oldsmobile 492 33,785 running 80 170
4 20 7
usa.png
Alan Kulwicki Hooters (Alan Kulwicki) Ford 492 28,085 running 2 165
5 1 2
usa.png
Mark Martin Valvoline (Jack Roush) Ford 492 29,160 running 55 160
6 22 18
usa.png
Dale Jarrett Interstate Batteries (Joe Gibbs) Chrysler 492 21,885 running 0 150
7 5 6
usa.png
Ted Musgrave Motel 6/Jasper Engines (D.K. Ulrich) Pontiac 492 17,635 running 4 151
8 17 41
usa.png
Larry Pearson Tide (Larry Hedrick) Chevrolet 492 14,135 running 0 142
9 14 07
usa.png
Geoffrey Bodine Hanes (Alan Kulwicki) Ford 491 18,925 running 2 143
10 21 44
usa.png
Sterling Marlin Sunoco (Billy Hagan) Chevrolet 491 18,535 running 0 134
11 3 9
usa.png
Bill Elliott Coors Light (Bill Elliott) Ford 491 20,535 running 0 130
12 12 5
usa.png
Terry Labonte Kellogg's (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 490 15,735 running 0 127
13 8 12
usa.png
Bobby Hamilton Busch Beer (Junior Johnson) Ford 490 15,435 running 0 124
14 39 28
usa.png
Davey Allison Havoline (Yates Racing) Ford 490 19,535 running 0 121
15 23 68
usa.png
Greg Sacks Country Time (Mark Smith) Ford 489 12,085 running 0 118
16 25 22
usa.png
Hut Stricklin Raybestos (Bobby Allison) Chrysler 489 14,335 running 0 115
17 15 43
usa.png
Robert Pressley STP (Petty Enterprises) Chrysler 489 10,935 running 0 112
18 9 66
usa.png
Jimmy Spencer Phillips 66 (Travis Carter) Ford 486 13,635 running 0 109
19 18 90
usa.png
Bobby Hillin, Jr. Heilig-Meyers (Junie Donlavey) Ford 486 8,485 running 0 106
20 29 60
usa.png
Jeff Gordon Little Caesar's (Jack Roush) Ford 485 13,585 running 0 103
21 40 31 Neil Bonnett Mom n Pops (Richard Childress) Chevrolet 484 9,835 running 0 100
22 6 26 Ricky Rudd Quaker State (Kenny Bernstein) Ford 481 12,635 running 0 97
23 32 16 Kenny Wallace Pennzoil (Roger Penske) Pontiac 481 8,835 running 0 94
24 13 25 Tim Richmond Kodiak (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 479 12,335 running 0 91
25 34 11 Brett Bodine Budweiser (Junior Johnson) Ford 479 7,635 running 0 88
26 30 23 Michael Waltrip Mobil 1 (Chuck Rider) Pontiac 478 12,100 running 0 85
27 33 10 Derrike Cope Purolator (Cale Yarborough) Chrysler 475 7,425 running 0 82
28 19 8 Ron Bouchard Super 8 Motels (Mickey Stavola) Ford 473 11,925 cylinder 0 79
29 31 15 Dick Trickle Motorcraft (Michael Kranefuss) Ford 467 7,200 running 0 76
30 27 17 Darrell Waltrip Wal-Mart (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 461 16,950 running 3 78
31 26 33 Harry Gant Skoal Bandit (Leo Jackson) Oldsmobile 457 17,450 oil pump 10 75
32 11 42 Kyle Petty Mello Yello (Felix Sabates) Chrysler 436 14,900 running 0 67
33 24 76 Butch Miller Unocal 76 (Unocal Corporation) Ford 422 7,250 crash 0 64
34 28 24 Joe Nemechek DuPont Auto Finishes (Rick Hendrick) Chevrolet 402 6,700 engine 0 61
35 16 21 Ernie Irvan Citgo (Wood Brothers) Ford 386 11,125 running 0 58
36 35 14 Bobby Labonte Slim Jim (Larry McClure) Oldsmobile 368 6,526 handling 0 55
37 36 77 Morgan Shepherd Kenova Construction (Morgan Shepherd) Pontiac 232 6,475 crash 0 52
38 37 20 Randy LaJoie Fina Lube (Dick Moroso) Ford 215 6,460 crash 0 49
39 4 55 Rick Mast Servco / Skoal Classic (Richard Jackson) Oldsmobile 176 10,925 head gasket 0 46
40 38 48 James Hylton Rumple Furniture (James Hylton) Chrysler 24 6,400 oil pan 0 43

Failed to qualify, withdrew, or driver changes:

71 Dave Marcis STG (Dave Marcis)
19 Chad Little Maxwell House (Mark Rypien)
52 Jimmy Hensley NAPA (Jimmy Means)

SNOW REPORT: ATLANTA
It was unusually cold in early spring of 1993. It had been a cold weekend at Rockingham last weekend, but it wasn't going to get any warmer soon.

The tour arrived in Atlanta. It was gray skies all day Friday. Both series were able to get in practice and the cup series had qualifying, where Rusty Wallace won the pole.

Not long after qualifying wrapped up, it started to rain. As night fell,it turned to sleet. Then, it snowed. Saturday morning, the track had a sheet of snow, and it wasn't stopping. All activities were pushed to the next day (Sunday) while crews cleared the snow. It kept falling. By that night, NASCAR decided to push the cup race to next weekend while the Busch Series would be rescheduled to mid April when they had a BYE week. The snow was part of the 1993 Strom of the Century, a snowstorm that stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to maritime Canada. Most of the south was pelted with snow, including the Florida panhandle! You can read more about it on Wikipedia.

428px-Storm_of_the_century_satellite.gif

hqdefault.jpg

SNOW REPORT: ATLANTA
It was unusually cold in early spring of 1993. It had been a cold weekend at Rockingham last weekend, but it wasn't going to get any warmer soon.

The tour arrived in Atlanta. It was gray skies all day Friday. Both series were able to get in practice and the cup series had qualifying, where Rusty Wallace won the pole.

Not long after qualifying wrapped up, it started to rain. As night fell,it turned to sleet. Then, it snowed. Saturday morning, the track had a sheet of snow, and it wasn't stopping. All activities were pushed to the next day (Sunday) while crews cleared the snow. It kept falling. By that night, NASCAR decided to push the cup race to next weekend while the Busch Series would be rescheduled to mid April when they had a BYE week. The snow was part of the 1993 Strom of the Century, a snowstorm that stretched from the Gulf of Mexico to maritime Canada. Most of the south was pelted with snow, including the Florida panhandle! You can read more about it on Wikipedia.

428px-Storm_of_the_century_satellite.gif

hqdefault.jpg

a typical spring tuesday in my home and native land. :winkytongue:

RACE REPORTS: MARTINSVILLE AND ATLANTA
MILLER GENUINE DRAFT 500K: Ward Burton dominated to win. He was able to beat out Jeff Purvis by a car length. Craven was third and rookie Hermie Sadler got fourth, his highest finish yet. Ward's little brother Jeff stared on pole, ran in the top ten most of the race, but then blew his engine. Tom Peck was also having a good day til his engine blew. Dennis Setzer and Ed Berrier got ejected from the race after Setzerer shoved Berrier out of the way, only for Ed to come back and shove Dennis into the turn one wall (similar to Matt Kenseth and Joey logano IOTL 2015). Here's the top ten:

1 2 27
usa.png
Ward Burton Hardee's (Alan Dillard, Jr.) Chevrolet 300 25,300 running 227 180
2 3 4
usa.png
Jeff Purvis Kodak (Terry Schoonover) Chevrolet 300 9,175 running 0 170
3 19 99
usa.png
Ricky Craven DuPont (Ricky Craven) Chevrolet 300 6,775 running 0 165
4 15 55
usa.png
Hermie Sadler Virginia Is For Lovers (Don Beverley) Chevrolet 300 4,800 running 0 160
5 8 63
usa.png
Chuck Bown Nescafe / Nestea (Hubert Hensley) Pontiac 300 4,040 running 1 155
6 12 44
usa.png
David Green Slim Jim (Bob Labonte) Chevrolet 300 4,150 running 49 150
7 5 8
usa.png
Elton Sawyer Baby Ruth (Fil Martocci) Ford 300 4,300 running 22 146
8 29 31
usa.png
Steve Grissom Channellock (Wayne Grissom) Chrysler 299 3,950 running 1 142
9 20 74
usa.png
Jack Sprague Staff America (Bill Baumgardner) Chevrolet 299 2,650 running 0 138
10 4 1
usa.png
Rodney Combs Jebco Clocks (Bill Davis) Ford 298 2,950 running 0 134

HOOTERS 500: Coming back a week later from the snow, Martin dominated. His closest challengers were Joe Nemechek, Rusty Wallace, and Ernie Irvan respectively. Nemechek is having the best run as a rookie so far, despite blowing his engine at Rockingham. He leads the rookie standings over Jeff Gordon, Robert Pressley, Randy LaJoie(who is off to a horrible start with two dnf's in the first four races), and Jimmy Hensley, who has yet to make a race.

Daytona 500 winner Dale Jarrett crashed, but was able to finish. AK racing may be in a civil war after this race. Geoff Bodine and Alan Kulwicki were battling for position, when Bodine bumped Kulwicki and sent him spinning. Alan didn't hit the wall, but then Dick Trickle slammed into his rear. He was upset with Geoff, but was thankful that he nor Trickle was injured.

hqdefault.jpg

Last edited: