Napoleon-Why the hate?

More seriously, in the modern world he doesn't fit anyone's agenda. Military glory for its own sake is out of fashion, and without that, what's left? The Code was a plus, but someone else would probably have done it before long. Ditto the Concordat. His career was spectacular, but as with Pyrrhus, Richard I, Edward III, Henry V and Charles XII, there wasn't a lot to show for it in the end. His most important actions were

1) Keeping France at war long enough for her to lose Belgium and the Rhineland, never to be regained.

2) Restoring Monarchy in France, so that all the Allies had to do was change the dynasty.

3) Bringing back slavery in the French overseas Empire, after the Republic had abolished it.

4) Getting the Second British Empire off to a flying start, by tying up France (GB's main colonial rival) in fruitless European campaigns, while Britain went around collecting up the whole world (or as much of it as she wanted) at minimal cost. To put the tin lid on it, in the course of his wars he also destroyed the power of Britain's lesser rivals, Spain and the Netherlands, and kept Russia distracted.

For my money, his most positive achievement was unintended - he taught the French, and in particular the French Republicans, to be fearful of war. They learned that, while defeat would lead to the Republic being destroyed from without, victory would be just as fatal, throwing up ambitious generals to destroy it from within. The Second and especially Third Republics remembered, and kept France out of war till 1914, even then being very careful to let the Germans fire the first shot. The other powers seem to have sensed the change, since neither of these later republics aroused a fraction of the alarm the first one did.

Others have said it earlier: Napoleon was a conqueror and ambitious. Yes, technically the Coalitions declared war on him first most of the time. Now, why did they worry about him enough to form, and why did they keep forming again and again after being defeated?

It wasn't fear of liberty and egalitarity (at least not entirely), it was France As Would Be Hegemon again.

Does this make Napoleon like Hitler? Only in the sense of overestimating his armies, underestimating how strong Russia was when he invaded, and never being able to defeat Britain.

Napoleon didn't bring anything to the conquered nations, either, except costs.

Poland not counting as a conquered nation - his actions there might give him some credit if he was doing them for noble reasons (doing it as realpolitick isn't shameful, but I can't praise someone for strengthening nationalism just to cause trouble).

Inhato

Banned
Napoleon didn't bring anything to the conquered nations, either, except costs.

Poland not counting as a conquered nation - his actions there might give him some credit if he was doing them for noble reasons (doing it as realpolitick isn't shameful, but I can't praise someone for strengthening nationalism just to cause trouble).
Poland was under oppressive Prussian, Austrian and Russian rule(at that Austrians were oppressive as well, only in second half of XIX century that changed a bit). Freeing them doesn't seem as "strengthening nationalism" unless you mean that Poles should be denied statehood.
Also as mentioned by others he brought many positive changes in civil law, administration.

Personally I believe a world under French victory in Napoleonic Wars would be better. The regimes that replaced French rule were very authoritarian and regressive(Holy Alliance).

Poland was under oppressive Prussian, Austrian and Russian rule(at that Austrians were oppressive as well, only in second half of XIX century that changed a bit). Freeing them doesn't seem as "strengthening nationalism" unless you mean that Poles should be denied statehood.
Also as mentioned by others he brought many positive changes in civil law, administration.

Personally I believe a world under French victory in Napoleonic Wars would be better. The regimes that replaced French rule were very authoritarian and regressive(Holy Alliance).

I don't think Poles (or Germans or Frenchmen or Spaniards or...) having a state of their own is something I'd support on principle. I have a problem with nationalism of that sort on principle.

The UK (as people/s with a common set of interests joined together) sort of thing - meaning England (and Wales) and Scotland, Ireland being an example of empire-by-conquest - is much more appealing than either a state of one ethnic group or a hegemon ruling by might.

But the point was that creating a somewhat-independent Poland not to grant greater freedoms to the Polish people but to weaken France's rivals is just manipulating Polish feelings for French ends - it isn't making the world better off to have the (Grand?) Duchy of Warsaw than not, its just making France stronger at the expense of others.

And how did the average Pole fare under Polish native rule pre-partition? From what I've read (which isn't very much, so correct me if I'm wrong), the average Pole wasn't exactly enjoying great liberty and freedom - the nobility, sure, but not their peasants.

As for the regimes that replaced French rule being authoritarian and regressive: And Napoleon was imposing his authority with the sword by his conquests. Hardly...um...liberty-based, that.

I'm not saying that (for instance) Russia was a beacon of enlightened and limited monarchy, but I'm very dubious of Napoleon being anything close either - and as a conqueror, his authority had nothing to do with law and everything to do with might, which is something far more nakedly absolutist than Alexander and his successors.

I used to admire him, but the more I studied him the more I grew to hate him. After all, he signed the Peace of Amiens and then proceeded to rip it up - and then he blamed the British for it. Actually I think that he never met a peace treaty he didn't eventually rip up.
The longer he ruled the bigger his ego became. Sticking his brothers in charge of large chunks of Europe was the SOP for a member of the Corsican Mafia as well.

A great, intensely unlikeable man.

I don't know why people think everyone has been constantly abominating him since 1815, though. Conservative opinion (in France as much if not moreso than anywhere) has, but in the 19th C no bourgeois-liberals cabinet of china commemorative items (they all had these) was complete without his bust, even in Britain and Germany.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Another factor would be the large body of fiction, popular around the world, depicting heroic British characters who win glory by fighting the forces of Napoleon and his allies. In other words, one reason we hate Napoleon is because we're busy cheering on Horatio Hornblower, Jack Aubrey, and Richard Sharpe.

Mikestone8, you may be right...

Napoleon planned to invade England. He was only stopped by the presence of the Royal Navy in the English Channel. That, my friends, is why he was loathed in England and Scotland.

Any would-be invader of England is thoroughly hated - Caesar, Monmouth, Napoleon, Hitler.

Successful invaders were generally unpopular - Claudius had little impact, Hengist, Horsa and Cerdic the Saxon, were loathed by the Welsh, but not by the Anglo-Saxons.

William of Normandy is hated by everybody except the Anglo-Norman peerage.

William of Orange was liked as a liberator, but in Ireland...the mind boggles.

Bonnie Prince Charlie was romantic (good) but he invaded England and lost (bad).

Does that help you?

Wolfpaw

Banned
I don't know. I have a hard time seeing Napoleon as that different from Tsar Alexander, or Pitt the Elder, or most politicians of his day. Expansion through force of arms was how it was done. He just was super good at it.
Tsar Alexander was a schizoid loony and Pitt suffered a series of nervous breakdowns.

"Peace" was another word Napoleon did not have in his vocabulary.

His actions made our independence possible. Thst's something, even if it was an unwanted result of his actions.

I'm not sure if that isn't an argumentative shortcut. For example, in a similar way, from a spanish liberal point of view we could say that thanks to Napoleonic invasion our first constitution was possible. But this would be both an oversimplification by avoiding the whole picture of the historical process and by ignoring the contemporary feeling (that Napoleon was an enemy as was the bourbonic absolutism). I think that both points can be applied to Argentina, or Hispano-America as whole, correct me if I'm worng.

That said, here, due to very local reasons, the perception of Napoleon is not positive at all. He backstabed us and forced us to a very bloody and destructive war of liberation. From both conservative and liberal/progressive milieux there are reasons to dislike him and his brother. From consertaves it's obvious, and from liberal/progressive he was seen, already back at the time, as a traitor to the revolutionary principles. Napoleon himself called spanish constitutionalists "jacobins inspired by Britain" (?!) The fact that his troops were plundering, looting and raping Spain and the spaniards didn't help. Still, more than 200 years latter, I wouldn't use the word "hate". Fortunatelly time softens passions and portraits become more balanced.

Tsar Alexander was a schizoid loony and Pitt suffered a series of nervous breakdowns.

"Peace" was another word Napoleon did not have in his vocabulary.

The man compensated for being short by making himself Emperor of the French (despite being French himself only on a technicality) and attempting to conquer Europe.

i agree that the legal reforms were the most impressive, many countries in europe up to this day use lawsbooks based on it.

i also think that the netherlands did very well under his brother Louis-Napoleon, and to my opinion we should have kept him & descendants instead of the disasters that were William I, II and III.