Napoleon escapes from Saint Helena

What if, after Napoleon was exiled to the island of Saint Helena, he managed to escape or be rescued from his British captors. After all it wasn't as if he still didn't have friends & supporters, here & there: some of whom had access to resources such as ships & the like.

So could an escape &/or rescue attempt be made to being with?

If Napoleon did escape, where could he go?

And would we see another round of Napoleonic Wars?

Anything else?

What if, after Napoleon was exiled to the island of Saint Helena, he managed to escape or be rescued from his British captors. After all it wasn't as if he still didn't have friends & supporters, here & there: some of whom had access to resources such as ships & the like.

So could an escape &/or rescue attempt be made to being with?

If Napoleon did escape, where could he go?

And would we see another round of Napoleonic Wars?

Anything else?

There was a plan of Brazilian revolutionaries from Pernambuco to rescue Napoleon from Saint Helena, and then convince him to go to Pernambuco, to lead the fight against the Portuguese court from Rio, and then be sent to France. In 1817, a comerciant from Recife, Antonio Gonçalves Cruz, went to Philadelphia with 800,000 dollars to buy guns and recruit exiled French citizens to support this crazy idea. Four of them accepted the task: the count Pontelécoulant, the colonel Latapie, and two soldiers, Artong and Roulet. However, when they arrived in Recife, the rebellion was already defeated, and all of them were arrested before leave the ship. I doubt they could succeed, but would be a funny historic fact if they had really tried this.

Britain's Lord Cochrane, while in the pay of one or the other of the former Spanish Latin American colonies in rebellion, favored freeing Napoleon attempting to use him as a rallying point in South America.

However, I favor the idea of Napoleon swimming the distance from St Helena to the nearest continent. The man would truly be legendary.

Rockingham

Banned
Britain's Lord Cochrane, while in the pay of one or the other of the former Spanish Latin American colonies in rebellion, favored freeing Napoleon attempting to use him as a rallying point in South America.

However, I favor the idea of Napoleon swimming the distance from St Helena to the nearest continent. The man would truly be legendary.
Dead, you mean:D

Well, Napoleon being seen as a hero among the Latin Americans would be...interesting. Though it might be somewhat tempered if Napoleon III still conducts his mexican campaign.

Hmmm, perhaps if Napoleon establsihes a state in Latin America(the Southern Cone), replacing Jose De San Martin, and proclaims himself Emperor....mightn't Napoleon III revive or inherit that state, and create a personal union with France? Though he might be butterflied away....

NapoleonXIV

Banned
Napoleon had his supporters in North Am as well, particularly in Mexico with Iturbide.

What would really be interesting might be his arrival in America. As a military triumvirate how would he look with Andrew Jackson and Samuel Houston?

I could see him beeing freed by some radical Frenchmen, Brazilians, or other revolutionaries with enough resources.. would make a good POD

Napoleon had his supporters in North Am as well, particularly in Mexico with Iturbide.

What would really be interesting might be his arrival in America. As a military triumvirate how would he look with Andrew Jackson and Samuel Houston?

I'd like to see Napoleon being freed by Mexicans, and employed under Iturbide.

That is slightly implausible, but much stranger things have happened. Two outcomes could arise from Napoleon being in Imperial Mexico. One) He gains high prestige and is Iturbide's military advisor and general, or two), he becomes Emperor of Mexico, either by coup or being crowned (the Mexicans originally wanted a European ruler on their throne).

That is slightly implausible, but much stranger things have happened. Two outcomes could arise from Napoleon being in Imperial Mexico. One) He gains high prestige and is Iturbide's military advisor and general, or two), he becomes Emperor of Mexico, either by coup or being crowned (the Mexicans originally wanted a European ruler on their throne).
Iturbide and Mexico had enuff trouble trying to get European reconitgin fo a Independent Mexico.
If they had Napolean on the throne, in 1821, they would still be looking today.

Thande

Donor
When Bernard Cornwell mused on the prospect of Napoleon being freed by Cochrane in order to be leader of Bolivar's United States of South America, he decided that the European powers would not allow Napoleon to return even as a leader in America, and the regiments would be called up once more to hunt him down and bring him back.

Interesting to speculate if the world would be hurled into another round of war or not.

Rockingham

Banned

or three)An anxious military leader fearful of Napoleon ascending instead of him or an associate of his, and/or realising a European coalition might invade Mexico if Napoleon remains their, quietly "removes" him.;)

Rockingham

Banned
When Bernard Cornwell mused on the prospect of Napoleon being freed by Cochrane in order to be leader of Bolivar's United States of South America, he decided that the European powers would not allow Napoleon to return even as a leader in America, and the regiments would be called up once more to hunt him down and bring him back.

Interesting to speculate if the world would be hurled into another round of war or not.
I'd suggest he was also worried that Napoleon might outshine him if he was allowed to join his campaigns, perhaps overthrowing even him in a coup. This, and the fact that Napoleon was an Imperialist at this point, not a Republican, and the fact that the miltary strategy in Latin America was probaly rather different to that of Europe-though I know to little about it to be sure....