Napoleon do not invades Spain and divides Portugal long-term effects.

I really want to see Murat as king in Portugal because I wanna see how Napoleon might've given more parts of Europe to his commanders, not just his kin.
If latter invades the Ottoman Empire and carves it with Russia we could see something unforgettable like Ney being king of Albania or something, it would be interesting certainly.

I really want to see Murat as king in Portugal because I wanna see how Napoleon might've given more parts of Europe to his commanders, not just his kin.
I think I remember reading in some tl where after a more decisive victory at the Battle of Wagram, Napoleon was seriously wounded by Friederich Staps unlike in otl where he was intercepted before his assassination attempt. The French Army angered and out for blood conducts an investigation which implicates some members in the Austrian government which leads to Napoleon in anger destroying the Habsburg Empire.

He gives Galicia to the Grand Duchy of Warsaw, Forces Kaiser Franz to abdicate to his mentally disabled son Ferdinand who now rules the "Crown of Austria" which is just Austria and Bohemia. Hungary in ttl is given to Marshall Davoust: The Iron Marshall to rule.

Prussia now terrified of Napoleon works desperately to be on his good side.
If latter invades the Ottoman Empire and carves it with Russia we could see something unforgettable like Ney being king of Albania or something, it would be interesting certainly.
Kill Mahmoud II and you might have a Napoleonic Serbia/Greece depending on how it goes. Though if Napoleon embraces steamships earlier and focuses on using the Netherlands' harbors he might be able to have some control over the Mediterranean and once again re-invade Egypt.

Murat was his kin, being his brother-in-law. Sure he was also one of his officers but, like Eugene and in part Bernadotte, was family first

Murat was his kin, being his brother-in-law. Sure he was also one of his officers but, like Eugene and in part Bernadotte, was family first
How meny kingdoms until napolion runs out of first cousins? (I imagine that second cousins are a lower priority then brother in law)

Last edited:
My understanding is that Britain had written off Portugal as lost....until the Spanish uprising gave Britain a reason to enter the fray there. With French forces needed elsewhere, Portugal could be retaken and used as a launching point to get involved in Spain.

My take is that without Napoleon turning on Spain, France could maintain that uneasy alliance with Spain. Portugal would be subjugated, and dispensed with according to Nap's wishes. Godoy probably gets duped out of his promised kingdom. Wellesley takes his troops to Venezuela, where he runs into the tropical disease defenders.
The colonial question is certainly interesting here. The failed efforts in Rio de la Plata but subsequent local unrest shows that they weren’t really at risk of invasion so much as potential revolution, with or without the Abdications of Bayonne. A failed British expedition into Venezuela, which as you hinted was in the works before Napoleon’s invasion south, could either rally the Spanish-Americans to the crown or make them realize they could be self-sufficient without Madrid.