Names of conquored cities

What do you think cities names would become if they were conquered by a foreign power? For example, i could see a Spanish Japan having cities with names like Toqueo and Quijoto (Tokyo and Kyoto). And it doesn't matter how the Japanese conquer Texas, or should i say Tekusa (or perhaps Tekasu).

So are we just discussing whatever cities we feel like talking about here?

Well, in general, settler colonies were given brand new names - I can't really think of many US cities, for example, which were influenced by native culture. Meanwhile, cities conquered in the modern era from roughly equally advanced societies generally get as a name some sort of corrupted version of the original name (Posen, Lemberg, Tsingtau, Viipuri - just to take a few examples), especially when the goal is integration. There are also a few instances when a brand new name is granted mostly out of ideological grounds or for some political goal (some examples I can think of are Leningrad, pretty much all of Turkey's cities, or Londonderry).

For east asia, or nations that formally use Chinese script, if one conquers the other the same name is used(in different pronounciations). Sometimes it is changed however.

The famed battle of Chosin Resovoir during the Korean War, for example. Chosin is a Japanese word. The Korean name would be Changjin.

Seoul, which was formally called Hanseong, was changed to Keijo(Kyeongseong).

What do you think cities names would become if they were conquered by a foreign power? For example, i could see a Spanish Japan having cities with names like Toqueo and Quijoto (Tokyo and Kyoto). And it doesn't matter how the Japanese conquer Texas, or should i say Tekusa (or perhaps Tekasu).

The city Edo was rebranded Tokyo after the (majority of) the Spanish Empire fell.

I wonder what would have happened if the Soviets had decided to rename stuff. My favorite is renaming Berlin Molotovgrad, though I reckon it might be called Luxembourgrad.

I wonder what would have happened if the Soviets had decided to rename stuff. My favorite is renaming Berlin Molotovgrad, though I reckon it might be called Luxembourgrad.

Surely the Leninists (esp. Stalin) wouldn't name a city after one of the most outspoken revolutionary critics of Lenin? Also, the -grad ending probably wouldn't fly unless they decided to annex East Germany and add it as a SSR... Instead, if they wanted to rename Berlin, they'd probably name it after a more recent and more Stalin-friendly martyr of the cause - Thälmannstadt/-grad, anyone?

Allegedly Hitler planned to rename Moscow to '...................'.

I thought he planned to rename it "Lake Muscovy"?

As far as non-Nazi examples go, the US in 1848 might have renamed cities that it took from Mexico to be less "Papist". Obviously Catholic-sounding cities on the chopping block would include San Francisco, San Antonio, San Jose, Sacramento, San Diego, and Sacramento.

Some potential post-1900 examples:

(Japanese pronunciation, same Chinese characters)
Beijing --> Hokkyou
Nanjing --> Nankyou

(Chinese pronunciation of Japanese cities)
Tokyo --> Dongjing
Osaka --> Daban
Kyoto --> Jingdu
Nagasaki --> Changqi

They did rename Chemnitz as Karl-Marx-Stadt.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Redhand

Banned
Why did Constantinople get the works......

On a serious note, wasn't Dublin called Dubh Linn at one point and Tara at an even earlier time? Some of these names can have quite a bit of flexibility though. Going from Danzig to Gdansk or Koenigsburg to Kaliningrad seems pretty unoriginal. I think it'd be interesting to see what New York would be called if it was the French or Swedes who took it from the Dutch back in the 1600s.

On a serious note, wasn't Dublin called Dubh Linn at one point and Tara at an even earlier time? Some of these names can have quite a bit of flexibility though. Going from Danzig to Gdansk or Koenigsburg to Kaliningrad seems pretty unoriginal. I think it'd be interesting to see what New York would be called if it was the French or Swedes who took it from the Dutch back in the 1600s.

Neuf Bourdeaux?

Nymodig Uppsala?

It hasn't gone through that many names has it?
Byzantion, the original Greek name

Byzantium, which is simply the Roman version of the Greek name

Nova Roma, the name Constantine actually gave the city

Constantinople, the name everyone actually used instead of Nova Roma but eventually it became the proper name

Istanbul, the name the Turks gave it in 1923 to distance themselves from the Ottoman Empire which, AIUI used Constantinople.

I think the number of names is because Constantinople is a strategic city and one that has attracted different peoples and conquerors over the years. As the inhabitants changed so did the name of the city.

Don't forget to mention the Slavic names! Carigrad and Tsargrad that is. Istanbul is derived from an old Greek nickname which means "In the city" if I'm not mistaken, Istim Bolin was it? Constantinople/Istanbul/whatever has a damned long list of alternate and historical names.

Now however, for the unthinkable question... Argentine Stanley?

Last edited:
Tel-Aviv: If Israel were conquered, I could see it simply named Jaffa which was the name of the original Arab community-whirl Tel aviv gee mainly due to Jewish Immigrants

Vladivostok: If the Chinese were to take it, it could very well be named either the Han dynasty era Hǎishēnwǎi , or more likely the modern Chinese name Fúlādíwòsītuōkè. If Japan took the city, it could be renamed Urajiosutoku, otherwise shortened as Urajio

Hong Kong: if ceased by perhaps Maoist China, could be renamed Xiānggǎng, which is the mandarin name for the city

Goa: Keeping in the trend of anti-European post colonial governments. A Conquered of conceded Goa could be named the literary Goamanta or the Hindu Harivansa

I think it'd be interesting to see what New York would be called if it was the... Swedes who took it from the Dutch back in the 1600s.

I'd suggest (Nya) Karlstad, (Nya) Karlsborg or (Nya) Karlshamn - that is naming the town after the king, whether Charles X or XI. Sveaborg might be another option.

On a serious note, wasn't Dublin called Dubh Linn at one point and Tara at an even earlier time?
No, Tara was a different location.
Yes, Dubh Linn was changed to Dublin... but if we'd wanted to anglicise it properly then the direct translation would be 'Blackpool'.