Name of French Brazil

Either France Antartique or Brésil, the former was the name of the short-lived French "colony" (more like a few forts and a port) IOTL and the latter is the French name for brazilwood, which IOTL gave Brazil its name.

Edit: Though I guess it could also be named after a French saint.

Last edited:
No because équinoxiale refer to equinox, if you follow the same logic, it would be France Arctique ;)
Actually both did exist. France antartique existed in the 16th century while France équinoxiale (later Guyana) was colonised in the 17th century.

If the Huguenot colonies were successful, it would be called France Antactique. I'm not sure what it would be called if it were a Catholic French colony.

Actually both did exist. France antartique existed in the 16th century while France équinoxiale (later Guyana) was colonised in the 17th century.

Well they dis existed and the city of São Luis,was named after the french king,so it did happened.The question is if the colony expanded would they change the names or would it be divided in various entities?

Did the French have any aspirations to gain other territory in Brazil/Uruguay/Argentina (and other parts of South America in general) or was it just limited to France Antarctique and and French Guiana?

It's the first name of Rio de Janeiro btw
I don't think so. The settlement of Rio de Janeiro was founded as a response to the perfidious French incursions, and the godless settlement they had founded on the other side. And it's clear that God did not want Brazil to have a lame-ass name like "Antarctique" which is why He was on Portugal's side during the fracas.

That being said, I have heard the name Marignon being used. Don't remember the context though.