N/A

Fair enough, you've got to strike a balance between frequent enough updates to keep people interested and the needs of real life.

Thande

Donor
Brilliant update. Like the cultural stuff.

Looks like Macmillan's going to get us involved in Vietnam. About the EEC stuff: I'm not sure it would survive this incident, considering how deeply France was involved at the start. Some sort of European economic treaty, yes, but it might be something new formulated from the ashes. Also I don't think the British poll numbers are very accurate: people in the 1950s were very pro-EEC in general, and most opposition was motivated by xenophobia about France and anger when de Gaulle blocked us before: in TTL there will be a "yah boo sucks!" attitude among the British people.

What's the Nixon administration's position on the space programme?

I love how insanely detailed this TL is - we're on page 4 but still on 1961. Brilliant. Keep it going methnks.

Thande

Donor
Also, I assume Bob Dylan injuring his arm will mean he won't become a famous musician as it will probably impair him playing the guitar...P's gonna kill you :p

Macragge1

Banned
Can't believe it took me this long to find this TL; it's very good indeed - the detail is superb. I especially like the bits that are written out like movie scripts with 'camera angles' etcetera - these work really well.

The whole chaos with the French coup was especially tense and fascinating; I'll be following this one with interest, keep it up.

Damn it, Richard! You and your tricky plans...

It's the little details. Who knew a conversation between Orson Wells and Dick Cavett would have such an impact on a TL?

I made a map for the 1960 presidential election in this timeline.

genusmap.php

Richard Nixon/Nelson Rockefeller (Republican) 276
John F. Kennedy/Lyndon B. Johnson (Democratic) 242
Unpledged Electors 19

Detailed, erudite, catholic, dramatic, well-written. What better update could one ask for?

The only false note at all was LBJ's statement about our boys being sent to 'foreign climes'. I don't think most Americans would think of Cuba as a 'foreign clime.' That sounds like something in the other hemisphere, or at least in the other continent in this hemisphere. The Caribbean, man, that's practically US soil. :)

Generally appalled that I wasn't texted earlier to be told a new update was here! I liked it a lot though- the cigarette advert in particular made me chuckle.

Also...

"“And so, in their trials barely fifty miles from our own shores, we must fulfil and obligation. We must not relent in our aid to the cause of freedom in Cuba. Already I have ordered the dispatch of token arms to the Provisional Government of Mr Cardona; now I have given the order to step up that aid…”

- Extract from a Special Address given by President Nixon, to the American public, over intervention in Cuba"

Surely "we must fulfil an obligation"?

Can't help but feeling that the newspaper asking if the S.U. is in decline might be getting a little ahead of itself. So far, the Soviets seem to have had rather a bad TL- but surely this can't last forever?