N/A

Thande

Donor
Thanks very much for this. Are there any maps of 1961 in the map thread, I wonder? I might go and have a look.

I have one here (though not the latest permutation of the colour scheme, of course)

1961.PNG

I totally didn't see that cliffhanger coming. By any chance, did any of your relatives write for "Doctor Who?" :)

You manage to discuss multiple topics in an engaging style. The "CBS Breaking News" bit at the end was uniquely inspired, as was Joe Kennedy snapping during the opening of that post. Your delivery is what keeps me coming back to your threads, how you present and what sources you use to drive the story forward.

Eagerly awaiting the next bit.

How is Norodom Sihanouk of Cambodia faring in this timeline? How about his ties with the US in this ATL? Is he still too close for comfort with Mao and especially Kim Il Sung?

Why not send up a Lightning for a quick recon? I guess NATO has little choice but to cooperate in the interim, and work quietly to restore civilian rule.

My God. What a grim update. Thanks for the cameo though: will my Professor self be making any future appearances? ;)

As an aside, you describe Algeria as a colony, and emphatically not a part of Metropolitan France. I thought that a major part of the reason the Algerian war was so dragged out and violent was because the region, unlike other French African territories, was a properly integrated part of Metropolitan France?

The Lightning had just entered squadron service with 111 Squadron in Suffolk in 1961; there was also a conversion squadron, operational since 1960.
How, exactly, did the paras manage to reintegrate into French society in OTL?

Nice update: 1961 really is a chaotic year, isn't it? I expect the rest of the decade will be positively monotonous by comparison!

I particuarly liked the chess quote at the end. A Zbigniew Brzezinski reference?

wow this seems like it is going to be a very interesting presidency for Nixon, and or the Soviets really going to start supporting such movements such as the IRA

Thande

Donor
The IRA does have Marxist roots, although it depends on which of the fifty bajillion feuding splinter factions you're talking about.

Excellent update. With Shelepin & co. bringing back Stalin-era big beasts and rejecting Khrushchev's proteges, could this heal the Sino-Soviet split?

ETA had been founded in 1959, but did not adopt a marxist ideology until 1965 and did not resort to violence until 1968. In 1961, it was just an offshoot of the very conservative and catholic PNV, and still divided between those who wanted to start a campaign of violence and those who asked for a non-violent campaign inspired by Gandhi and MLK! I doubt very much anyone had heard of them, even in spanish intelligence circles, much less in the Soviet Union.