My Eyes Have Seen The Glory - A Slave Republic in the Early Colonies

This is giving me real flight from Egypt by the Israelites vibes. The slaves rising up and fleeing to some promised land, the waters washing away the pursuers. I like it!

So, this is interesting to say the least. I haven't seen too many timelines deal with successful slave revolts before and I'm interesting to see where this goes. However, I do have a question: Are the rebels heading down towards Florida, or hoping to establish themselves in some of the more unpopulated regions of Georgia (people often fail to realize just how low Georgia's Anglo population was during this time - and indeed, would remain, until after the Civil War). Because if it's the prior ... that would be an interesting choice. I could see the British actually accepting the would-be settlers, as it would provide much needed population to the region (and battle hardened ones to boot), coupled with the precedent of the previous Spanish policy of accepting run away slaves into Florida.

In either case, what are Prosser's views, and relations, like with Native Americans? You've established already that he is sympathetic to poor whites as well as Quakers, and it would be interesting to see if he also extends an olive branch out to different Native tribes. Of course, the Cherokee themselves were also slave holders - so that might well throw a spanner in the works.

I'm clad on Saint George's heavenly armor
My enemies' feet won't run up to me
My enemies' hands won't reach me
My enemies' eyes won't see me
My enemies' weapons won't hurt me

Ogun, my Father, in your name we shall win!

Last edited:
No matter what happens Slavery in the New World will be under great scrutiny and restrictions as the news of this rebellion spreads. People might connect it to the American Revolution too, as something that gave slaves a dangerous idea that will spread.

So, this is interesting to say the least. I haven't seen too many timelines deal with successful slave revolts before and I'm interesting to see where this goes. However, I do have a question: Are the rebels heading down towards Florida, or hoping to establish themselves in some of the more unpopulated regions of Georgia (people often fail to realize just how low Georgia's Anglo population was during this time - and indeed, would remain, until after the Civil War). Because if it's the prior ... that would be an interesting choice. I could see the British actually accepting the would-be settlers, as it would provide much needed population to the region (and battle hardened ones to boot), coupled with the precedent of the previous Spanish policy of accepting run away slaves into Florida.

In either case, what are Prosser's views, and relations, like with Native Americans? You've established already that he is sympathetic to poor whites as well as Quakers, and it would be interesting to see if he also extends an olive branch out to different Native tribes. Of course, the Cherokee themselves were also slave holders - so that might well throw a spanner in the works.
To add to your point, from what I've understood in the last chapter it implied the lands to be empty which if memory serves me right is not true at all. A great deal of Indians lived in the unorganised lands beyond the United States but were not counted because they were not baptised. Again this is based on my memory (probably something I read on this very site) but I do not believe the lands to be empty.

Welcome back! Enthusiastically watched again. If it's anything like the last one, I cant wait for more! This is the idea that originally brought me to alternate history (I know, NOT a Confederate Victory! Weird, right?)

Deleted member 163405

To add to your point, from what I've understood in the last chapter it implied the lands to be empty which if memory serves me right is not true at all. A great deal of Indians lived in the unorganised lands beyond the United States but were not counted because they were not baptised. Again this is based on my memory (probably something I read on this very site) but I do not believe the lands to be empty.
By empty I’m merely referring to lands underpopulated by our current groups of interest I.E. white people shooting at the slaves or Slaves needing to be freed. They would do their best to avoid the natives at this point and would not try and be antagonistic.

whoever was there would sadly be classified as fauna with bows and arrows until the first decade of the 20th century.

Deleted member 163405

They pushed south along the coast, and then headed west, freeing and sparking slave revolts along the way, crossing the Mississippi where they dashed a Federal Army and can now begin recrossing as that was the major threat hot on their heels. We’ll see next story how the situation is growing unpopular for the northerners.

So they basically used the Spanish / French Louisiana. Which makes a lot of sense, it is easier for them to do that because the federal forces would have a lot longer to go.

It is vital that Prosser and others get the word out of how merciful he is being toward white people compared to what some might be saying, as well as the fact that, while there is some looting and murdering going on, he is executing the worst of the offenders. Some might not believe it, maybe most wouldn't, but there would be a growing thought that maybe, as stragglers start to come in and show how they were spared, the rebels really are being relatively kind.

It would have been funny to see James Wilkinson, who notoriously spied for the Spanish, leading the army. I can see Prosser not really wanting his help if he knows that Wilkinson is a traitor. After all, if he is willing to go against his own country, the United States, who is to say he wouldn't be willing to betray them also.

Last edited:

Deleted member 163405

So they basically used the Spanish / French Louisiana. Which makes a lot of sense, it is easier for them to do that because the federal forces would have a lot longer to go.

It is vital that Prosser and others get the word out of how merciful he is being toward white people compared to what some might be saying, as well as the fact that, while there is some looting and murdering going on, he is executing the worst of the offenders. Some might not believe it, maybe most wouldn't, but there would be a growing thought that maybe, as stragglers start to come in and show how they were spared, the rebels really are being relatively kind.

It would have been funny to see James Wilkinson, who notoriously spied for the Spanish, leading the army. I can see Prosser not really wanting his help if he knows that Wilkinson is a traitor. After all, if he is willing to go against his own country, the United States, who is to say he wouldn't be willing to betray them also.
The Federal army also had lost an entire winter gathering forces and waiting for the northern snows to melt, as well as dealing with clogged supply lines trying to push past refugees to the south. So General Neville force marched his army through the south to catch up, this lending even more to the slaves as his army is well past exhaustion.

Of course Gabriel’s use of white scouts to not only throw off militias, but as well to spread news is one way he would fortell of not only his conquest but of his mercy to other whites.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chapter 1.2: War!!

Deleted member 163405

Part 3: 1802-1808

The disintegration of the Federal Army at the Battle of the Mississippi Crossing led to troubles within the rest of the United States. Word quickly spread about this slave army defeating the federal government. Paul Brigham 2nd governor of Vermont began to reconsider his states admission into the union. As having only joined in 1791 many still remembered a time when Vermont was its own independent republic, and many saw their own children die in a war to suppress men attempting to be free, for the interests of southern slave owners. Tax riots which had been brutally suppressed in 1794 began mixing with draft riots of those who didn’t wish to die fighting for the south. Including onto these issues were the added pressures of southern aristocrats and landowners fleeing north along with many now landless slave owners and refugees. Many blacks in the north found themselves expelled out of the northern territories or threatened to be killed by whites within the north. These groups would head south where they would become new supporters of the cause of a free republic.

The British would also begin moving on the Americans, formerly tightening trade routes between the French and American by blocking shipping and formerly clamping down on and impressing American naval personnel. In D.C. Jefferson who had his hand tied was forced to pull the soldiers off the southern front and begun preparing to fortify the north in case any escalation. The British would also hand D.C. a resolution asking they restrict settlement within the Midwestern territories and respect Native American lands. While the USA would reject such demands the British would open and give its Allies the go ahead to resume raids in the region.

Returning to the south, the army of Gabriel was split into 3. His army would push back east its goal take Charlotte and begin forming a defensive line to form the new republic behind. By the time of reaching charlotte his army would measure anywhere from 5-10,000 rebels. The march to Charlotte mainly consisted of stomping out small militia’s, looting hostile towns and then redistribution of property to the slaves, poor whites, and even some natives who had been kind to Gabriel. Charlotte itself was defended by a sizable amount of militia which Gabriel’s battle hardened soldiers by this point were able to intimidate many into fleeing, those that did pose a pitched battle were cut down, securing more arms and weapons for the army. The army was mostly prevented from looting due to the necessity of the city though the civilians were expelled north once again into the ravaged tidewater region and emptied plantations of Virginia. Outside of Charlotte the Lines of Moses began immediate construction, which large earthen work defenses were dug and prepared for the eventual return of a large federal army. Gabriel knew however the Federals were on the verge of breaking and a long trench battle would sap their spirits. Inside the blacksmiths worked on every street corner melting down metal into bullets, spears, and cannonballs.

The siege of the city by federal forces would last for months, and end in thousands of deaths on both sides with no win for the Federal army as they were forced to withdraw. Unable to penetrate the multi lined trenches, facing night raids, and spear and bow attacks during rainy days, the Federal army was broken and forced to pull back to avoid annihilation, having nothing to show after months.

Ben Woolfolk the second in command to Gabriel led his second army. Their goal take Nashville and establish a second defensive line to prevent an encirclement around the south. Their trek would be much more arduous suffering attrition and having to negotiate with the tribes in the area, even managing to secure some scouts to help. Digging in to Nashville would be much more difficult, less slaves to free, meant less reinforcements, and there was more of a chance of snowfall in the winter months meaning and long term siege would damage the slaves as much as the offensive Federal Army.

The winter siege of Nashville would see the Federal Army make significant progress breaking past on defensive line and wavering into another. Unfortunately, the slave army managed to drive them back, and the costly and slow endeavor of resupply meant the Federal army was forced to depart.

Finally, came the third army and final Federal attempt to break through the slaves armies. William “Willy” King found himself in charge of a third army. Made up of cutthroats, brigands, mercenaries, natives and whites alike, his army was considered a redemption for those under him. Their goal was simple. Cut a swath through the south, establishing political and military control, purging out antagonistic whites, slave owners, and militias that hadn’t pulled out of the south. King’s detachment was known for its unorthodox methods, and use of considered criminal or dishonorable tactics to secure victory. Despite suffering minor losses against more entrenched towns, he nonetheless always found new recruits among lower members of society looking to purchase a second chance with blood.

They would get their chance at a second chance when in 1807 they would clash with a massive federal force under the command of Senior Officer of the United States Army, General James Wilkinson who had decided to exercise total command over the army of the north decided to lead a campaign to swing around south and cut off Charlotte. However, using some of the more unsavory members of his “army” King was made aware of Wilkinson’s generally untrustworthy nature, and was able to establish contact, trading some of the loot captured down south, for an advanced notice on where his army would be. This would allow King’s army to raid and disrupt the swing around attempt, forcing Wilkinson’s army to retreat back north across into Virginia. Through unsavory methods, Willy King’s band of savages had won the day and saved the revolt.

Very good, hopefully the British can recognize the new republic and start commerce with it and to serve as a competitor for American influence.

I love how you used Wilkinson there. Someone like him isn't going to show his true colors too easily, but they know how to get to him. And while a "fix" wouldn't be obvious, I'm sure later historians will have a field day once it is discovered how he was induced to sell out without leaving a paper trail. It's like it was said of Hal Chase, he was such an expert at playing first base that he could make the errors involved throwing a game look accidental very easily.

I can just see the movies being made about this once Hollywood forms, wherever it does.

Jefferson will not have cut down on the Navy like he did in our timeline oh, but the destruction wrought on the federal forces will be just as bad as his neglect of the Navy was.

To add to your point, from what I've understood in the last chapter it implied the lands to be empty which if memory serves me right is not true at all. A great deal of Indians lived in the unorganised lands beyond the United States but were not counted because they were not baptised.
Baptism had nothing to do with it. The Indians tribes were regarded as quasi-sovereign entities, and "tribal" Indians as not part of the United States as a political system. They were exempt from "direct taxation", as noted in the Constitution's reference to "Indians not taxed", who did not count as "inhabitants" for the purpose of apportioning representation in the House of Representatives,

Baptism would have been wholly inappropriate in any case. Many people were not baptised as children, but still considered citizens. Contrariwise there were many Indians who had been converted by missionaries.

And the early US was quite fussy about church-state separation. For instance, the Post Office delivered mail on Sundays until about 1835. The change was opposed by a fair number who saw it as official recognition of a religion.

Last edited:

Deleted member 163405

I love how you used Wilkinson there. Someone like him isn't going to show his true colors too easily, but they know how to get to him. And while a "fix" wouldn't be obvious, I'm sure later historians will have a field day once it is discovered how he was induced to sell out without leaving a paper trail. It's like it was said of Hal Chase, he was such an expert at playing first base that he could make the errors involved throwing a game look accidental very easily.

I can just see the movies being made about this once Hollywood forms, wherever it does.

Jefferson will not have cut down on the Navy like he did in our timeline oh, but the destruction wrought on the federal forces will be just as bad as his neglect of the Navy was.
Yeah overall Jefferson’s presidency will be regarded as a failure, he lost the war, glided into political irrelevance, centralized power against his own beliefs and desires, and basically crushes manifest destiny.