Prologue: Chapter 1
Muslim World

The Gates of Gaul: Tours

The year is 732. A huge moorish army attacks Tours, the battle is bloody, but its commander, Algafeque, is cunning, a cavalry force composed of 3,000 brave knights who had placed Charles Martel in a trap and hiding how many the franks arrived, attack the franks behind their backs, desperate and with their soldiers disbanded, Charles Martel is forced to retreat to Paris.

Meanwhile, the great moorish army advances to Orléans and put siege to the city, but they are forced to give it up because of the exhaustion of the brave and fearless arab warriors. So they organize a treaty with the franks, the tyrannical Treaty of Blois, that brought the recognition of annexation by the arabs of Aquitaine and Occitania, significant losses for Christendom, bringing the christian europe on the nerves. At this moment of crisis, what will Europe be made of?

6 years later the franks call for help from the Pope to regain their lands. Seeing that the arab victory in Tours opened the doors to the muslim expansion in europe he declares that, in a vision, God told him that the Europe must be rid of the muslim plague, he waits the response from the pope.

Will the last fight, the last effort against the Islamic threat, happen?

Last edited:

Eparkhos

Banned
With all due respect, Mr. I of Dixie,
al-Andalus was already stretched thin by 732, and would lack the resources to govern southern Francia, although there may be changes back in Ifriqa that would allow them to annex the land.
Also, the Pope in 638, Gregorius III, had somewhat of a hatchet to rub with the Franks, as Martel had refused to come to his aid against the Longobards.

All that aside, the timeline is interesting and I hope you continue it. Watched.

With all due respect, Mr. I of Dixie,
al-Andalus was already stretched thin by 732, and would lack the resources to govern southern Francia, although there may be changes back in Ifriqa that would allow them to annex the land.
Also, the Pope in 638, Gregorius III, had somewhat of a hatchet to rub with the Franks, as Martel had refused to come to his aid against the Longobards.

All that aside, the timeline is interesting and I hope you continue it. Watched.

I know this, this will interfere in the war (I already have the first 6 episodes ready), and thank you for the feedback.

Prologue: Chapter 2
Muslim World

Frank Intervention: A Holy Exchange of Favors

January 27, 738 - Rome
The Pope receives the letter, and reads it attentively, he knows that the muslim victory in Tours has opened a free passage for a possible large-scale invasion of them, [1] but he also has his needs, and establishes conditions to accept, Charles Martel has to help him to expel the lombards, who are invading the center of Italy and, at this point, put Ravena in a state of siege. Such terms with Charles Martel, desperate to gain more foreign support after the great losses in the Treaty of Blois, accepts.

Now, the franks mobilize their army and, at the end of March, prepare to cross the Alps on a difficult crossing, arriving in Nice after 3 weeks marching through the mountains. After arriving, they resupply and go towards Savona.

Upon arriving there, Charles Martel sends a detachment to recognize any garrison that may be in the city, and the same confirms that there are soldiers surrounding the city [2], the same ones that almost detected it. Soon, Martel decides to lead a surprise attack against the lombards. At night, a detachment of about 4.700 brave soldiers attacks the lombard garrison in the town, which has about 2.900 men, those who quickly fall into disorder [3], the lombards after 2 hours of fighting are surrounded by the arrival of a detachment of cavalry and surrender the city to the franks, Martel uses it as a logistical point for the rest of his campaign and resupply himself.

Thus, Martel dispatches small forces to Acqui and Asti [4], with the purpose of securing the north of its troops and goes towards with its main army for its next step, Genoa.

[1] - Muslims are in internal problems (which led IOTL to the Abbasid Revolution), but the Pope does not know this, so in his view the threat is real
[2] - The estimate given by the detachment was about 4,000 soldiers, which made Charles Martel prefer not to attack at the same time that he arrived
[3] - The Lombards definitely did not expect a frank attack, especially after the defeat against the Muslims
[4] - 2 forces of about 7,500 soldiers to guard the flank of the main troops and to secure the control of the plains to the southwest of the Po River.

in the next few episodes i'll be focusing on Charles' campaign against the lombards, and just to give a taste of what's coming, it's going to be the christians, not the muslims, who will be on the offensive in the coming war

The Berber Revolt will not happen like IOTL, but i have a perfect substitute to it
It can not happen at all, if the Abbassids revolt and take over the Ummayyads before the revolt happen, the reasons for its appearance disappear, because OTL the Abbassids were much more "tolerants", however they were weaker military, if an arabic caliphate is what you seek, you must keep the arabs in the command, OTL the arrival of turkic mercenaries precipited the downfall of the arabs and subsequently the islamic world.

It can not happen at all, if the Abbassids revolt and take over the Ummayyads before the revolt happen, the reasons for its appearance disappear, because OTL the Abbassids were much more "tolerants", however they were weaker military, if an arabic caliphate is what you seek, you must keep the arabs in the command, OTL the arrival of turkic mercenaries precipited the downfall of the arabs and subsequently the islamic world.

Hm......this give me some ideas