Muslim Russia

Faeelin

Banned
In this period it probably was fairly self-sufficient. The population was at its lowest ebb and food was grown within the walls.

Also of course food would primarily be brought in by sea. Which is harder to completely interdict.

Fresh fish is in fact still sold each morning on the Golden Horn. And absolutely delicious it is too.

I find it hard to believe that even with a "mere" 50,000 people, Constantinople could have been fed by the area within its walls.

I find it hard to believe that even with a "mere" 50,000 people, Constantinople could have been fed by the area within its walls.

Read: "food would primarily be brought in by sea." Unless the Arabs are able to create a naval force powerful enough to threaten the (IIRC) preeminent navy at the time, Constantinople would survive even if its walls are being besieged.

Moscow wasn't even more than a town until the 13th century or so, IIRC. In the time period we're talking about,

Also, keep in mind that even though Vladimir was the Prince who Christianized the Rus, and the first Christian Prince, he wasn't the first Christian involved in the royal family. If memory serves, that would've been his grandmother, Olga. So there was already a disposition towards Christianity in there.

However, it always seemed like a good PoD to investigate. This would mean even more conflict with the Teutonic Knights, of course, as they'd Crusade into Lithuania and then -- guess what, even more heathens on the other side! However, I don't know how involved they would be with, say, the First Crusade, if they did choose to become Muslim.

The legend, as I've heard it, goes that the Grand Prince found Catholicism boring, as the service took forever and was just some guy talking in Latin about how the Prince was going to die. He didn't like Judaism because they had already lost their holy land and been cast out by their god. And he didn't like Islam because, as he said, "Drinking is the joy of the Rus." However, upon visiting an Orthodox church service in Constantinople, he apparently felt as though he was in heaven itself due to the beauty of the rituals and music.

Who knows how true it is. I don't know how seriously many Muslims take the no-alcohol rule. Because I think a PoD of "Russians don't like alcohol" is simply ASB -- not to sound like I'm ragging on Russians.

I remember hearing a legend that a Russian Tsar was deciding which to be the religion of his country. He decided on Christanity because it did not outlaw alcochol.

This legend is about the Grand Prince Vladimir of Kiev in fact. Tsars appeared only over the 500 years after that.

The legend itself looks a lot like the historical anecdote.

Didn't someone do a thread awhile ago where the Byzantines, in a sort of resurgence or something, drove the Turks north up into Russia.

Couldn't we get around the alcohol prohibition, by pulling an Al-Anglia and restrict wines? :eek:

How would this possibly peaceful conversion of territory affect the Caliphate? Hadn't all previous Islamic territory cme from conquest?

Faeelin

Banned
Read: "food would primarily be brought in by sea." Unless the Arabs are able to create a naval force powerful enough to threaten the (IIRC) preeminent navy at the time, Constantinople would survive even if its walls are being besieged.

Which they did.

What, did you think they just walked up to the walls and shouted curse words?

Russia staying pagan would also be interesting. It might even make Pagan Scandinavia more possible than OTL. Or you could have Russians convert to something a little more exotic like Buddhism or Zoroastrianism. :)

Russia staying pagan would also be interesting. It might even make Pagan Scandinavia more possible than OTL. Or you could have Russians convert to something a little more exotic like Buddhism or Zoroastrianism. :)

Or even Manichianism (sic). :D

Now you've gone and made me want to see kung-fu Cossacks. :D

Would the Russians be Shia or Sunni Muslim? Because that would have a major impact on their relationships with other Muslim nations

Would the Russians be Shia or Sunni Muslim? Because that would have a major impact on their relationships with other Muslim nations

It'll be more likely if they become Sunni, because there was not any Shia majority country at that time, but who'd know if something certain would might gonna happen....