Music & Youth/Pop Culture in a "No-9/11 World"

I originally brought up how would music change, as a part of pop culture being effected by no 9/11 (and assuming no other terrorist attack occurs). Since it turned into a circle jerk debate about if Bush would have been re-elected or not, I was hoping to strike up some conversation about this subject in a new thread.

So for a no-9/11 world I see the following for music:

There was a brief trend for more politicized hip hop, as a reaction to the early bling/club phase. I think the "do not question anything about America, or your a terrorist loving traitor!" helped nip it in the butt. I still don't think it would have killed the wankster/club rap that dominates now, but we might have seen a mainstream split in the music, instead of more lyrical based Hip Hop being driven almost completely underground. Hell Immortal Technique was going to be signed by Sony, just some guy there wanted him to change his lyrics and be more "poppy"; without the "question America and die" vibe going around, he might be face on MTV. Aside from the more obviously political stuff , Atmosphere was getting more mainstream play, they and the rest of the Rhymesayers crew might have enjoyed more success or Blackalicious and other artists of this stripe.

As for rock, I think nu-metal's hey day was still going reach its end sometime in the early 00s. I know some fans who felt they couldn't relate to the subject matter of "suburban loser" any longer, with all what was going on-whether they wanted to join the army or fight the man, it was a similar vibe (this kind of including myself, but I was always more of a Punk and Harcore fan when it came to rock, so I felt most Nu-Metal was crap to begin with, but I digress). Still, given Emo was even more self-obsessed kind of downer crap, shows it was more then this that killed Nu Metal. Personally I believe it had more to do with the often Rock-Hip Hop mix of the style suffering a backlash, as Hip Hop dumbed down and became the music of choice for those who beat the crap out of the alternative rocker kids; so it would have died anyway sometime in the 00s.

No 9/11 might have also kept the Hipster scene from possibly forming, or at least in its current shape. Since 9/11 shrank the pool of bohem-criticize America kids, they might not have grouped together so many hippies, indie rockers, geek-chic, punks, etc to birth the hipster. These groups probably would have stayed separate, evolving in a less "join together or die" manner, with a more diverse political opinion amongst themselves. Apathy would have kept them seeing involvement in either left or right on the mainstream political spectrum as a waste of time and effort.

Just some food for thought.

I do wonder how country would have developed, or synth, techno, and such. Anyone have any ideas?

Sachyriel

Banned
The Dixie Chicks won't be boycotted in this TL, and thy may enjoy more success. I don't like country but I'm trying to help.

Sachyriel

Banned
Greenday and other post punk and punk like bands wouldnt become politicalized

Sept 11 came only 10 days before American Idiot was released, the gears were already in motion for the release before the 11th (Am Id came out on the 21st of Sept) and if the whole "Don't question America!" thing didn't cause it to be cancelled then no 9/11 won't affect it. Too much money was already sunk into the project for it to be pulled with 9/11, and no reason not to go ahead with it without one.

Besides, there were political punk bands before 9/11.

Green Day's always been *political*:confused: As above, American Idiot was done prior to 9/11. I think they word you're looking for is "preachy" (and this coming from Green Day's Number One Ultimate Mega-Hyper-Ultra-Fan :D

Sachyriel

Banned
Green Day's always been *political*:confused: As above, American Idiot was done prior to 9/11. I think they word you're looking for is "preachy" (and this coming from Green Day's Number One Ultimate Mega-Hyper-Ultra-Fan :D

Don't make me fight you for that title.

I think pop punk would have also become popular, the trend was well underway in the late 90s. So Good Charlotte and Sum 41 would have been quite active. I agree, they might not have become so political on specific issues, but more anti-establishment in general. Their popularity might have waned sooner, given they were more generic, then being a music of protest.

As for the Dixie Chicks, they kinda faded out after the whole slamming Bush comments, so its hard to say how this effected their careers. Would they have lasted longer, and continued to crossover more into general pop (I though they were a pop group when I first heard of them).

Bluegrass would still have enjoyed a brief resurgence IMO, it was mostly because of "Oh Brother Where art Though".

American Idol I bet would still be around, the music scene for a while had been moving more poppy dominant since the late 90s as well. I don't think extra patriotism of the 9/11 era did much to promote it, hell it might be more popular because the "counter-culture" wouldn't have felt so isolated from mainstream America.

Thande

Donor
I only understood one word in three of the OP ;) but an interesting thread. I'm trying to remember what the music scene was like at my school before and after 9/11, though the effects over here will obviously be less strong than in the US.

From what I recall, the strongest strand of musical thought was a rejection of the manufactured pop and reality TV groups that were really firing off at that time, and people were mainly embracing revived versions of grunge, particularly with Nirvana as an inspiration. There was also a separate nostalgic movement focusing on 80s pop, an early sign of the 80s nostalgia that would dominate Noughties culture in other ways. If 9/11 affected anything I think it was to (A) Bring to the forefront the cynicism of people rejecting manufactured music because the apparent crapsackiness of the modern world helped undermine the saccharine sweetness of manufactured pop, and (B) Signalled the end of the 90s 'end of history' period and brought us more back to something like the 80s, with US militarism and popular opposition to it.

MacCaulay

Banned
I know most folks probably never heard of this, but...

...in 2005, the alt-country band Son Volt released an album called Okemah and the Melody of Riot, which was the band's first record in 6 years. For a lot of folks like me, who listen to alt-country, this was a big deal as Son Volt and it's predecessor (Uncle Tupelo) were some the genre's inventors.

The band had broken up and the lead singer, Jay Farrar, had released three solo albums under his own name. They were good, but were missing the immediacy of the first albums. Those first ones were written in the 90s, and seemed to reflect what was going on in his home region at the time (the Mississippi floods, the downturn in the 80s, etc.), and it seemed like the Bush Administration's reaction to 9/11 and the War in Iraq put a lot of creative fire back into him.

I think that's something that happened to alot of folks. Steve Earle released Transcendental Blues, which might have been his best album since Copperhead Road. It wasn't any more political than he normally was, but he'd kind of lost a reason to be political and the events between 9/11 and the runup to the war in Iraq give alot of artistic souls a reason to get creative.

I thought American Idiot came out in 2004. In fact, prior to that album, Green Day were seen as a relic of the 90s, with stuff like Sum 41, Good Charlotte and their ilk taking over the pop punk scene from stuff like GD and Offspring. There was also a lot of novelty songs being released around that time as well (ie, afroman's because i got high), so we'd likely see lots of "jokey" artists as well. Another factor that comes to mind is how would movies be affected?

Last edited:
I thought American Idiot came out in 2004. In fact, prior to that album, Green Day were seen as a relic of the 90s, with stuff like Sum 41, Good Charlotte and their ilk taking over the pop punk scene from stuff like GD and Offspring. There was also a lot of novelty songs being released around that time as well (ie, afroman's because i got high), so we'd likely see lots of "jokey" artists as well. Another factor that comes to mind is how would movies be affected?

Well, to be fair American Idiot was their first studio Album since Warning in 2000. ;) But you're not wrong, without Green Day the Sum 41's and Blink 182's wouldn't be around or at least less, well for lack of a better word, mainstream, so there is that :)

MacCaulay

Banned
..I think I know that song. That is one of those songs that sounds better then it is.

I don't know. Copperhead Road could've been released on any one of Steve Earle's post-2003 albums and fit right in, it's just that people weren't listening to his albums before 9/11 with a political ear.

The lyrics are pretty obvious:

Well my name's John Lee Pettimore
Same as my daddy and his daddy before
You hardly ever saw Grandaddy down here
He only came to town about twice a year
He'd buy a hundred pounds of yeast and some copper line
Everybody knew that he made moonshine
Now the revenue man wanted Grandaddy bad
He headed up the holler with everything he had
It's before my time but I've been told
He never came back from Copperhead Road

Now Daddy ran the whiskey in a big block Dodge
Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge
Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside
Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
I still remember that rumblin' sound
Well the sheriff came around in the middle of the night
Heard mama cryin', knew something wasn't right
He was headed down to Knoxville with the weekly load
You could smell the whiskey burnin' down Copperhead Road

I volunteered for the Army on my birthday
They draft the white trash first,'round here anyway
I done two tours of duty in Vietnam
And I came home with a brand new plan
I take the seed from Colombia and Mexico
I plant it up the holler down Copperhead Road
Well the D.E.A.'s got a chopper in the air
I wake up screaming like I'm back over there
I learned a thing or two from ol' Charlie don't you know
You better stay away from Copperhead Road

It seemed to of put a halt to Mall Rock thank God but any gains could be offset by the thought it contributed to Emo.

we'd likely see lots of "jokey" artists as well

Interesting observation. The hordes of parodies really dried up.

Uh, yeah but if you *read* my above post you will see it was their first Studio Album since Warning in 2000 :rolleyes: