MPLM's in Stephen Baxters Voyage

unlike the Navy, most nuclear reactors are commercially owned
Yes, that can help to complicate things sometimes.
the Navy has thankfully had little reactor trouble, but the soviets have had a few.
Yeah, but i really think that a lot of this came out of different cultures when it goes to reactor design: On the one side it was: Build it in a way it works without breaking the bank, on the other side it was: Build it not only as efficient as possible, but also as safe as possible.
But media is media and having "nuclear reactor is safe" vs "why nuclear is bad" leaves one in the dust by a long shot, take a guess which
(This will be a bit offtopic) Yes, i know that a lot. It might sounds crazy, but the last time i have seen it in this black or white-way of thinking was when i was about 12. Then i came into possession of "The hunt for Red october", was fascinated by the detailed descriptions, including the reactor-stuff and after that i began a little research into basic reactor designs, accidants and so on and no i am not giving a damn sh*** about what most of the media or politicians say about it, because i can see: What they say is uninformed and onesided in 95% of the cases. What´s important are the facts, and those say: There are reactor-designs out there that that are as close to absolute accident-resistance as you can get if the personal is trained and managed in the right way. And if something happens, there are enough options out there to be build in as emergency-systems to prevent a tschernobyl or Fukushima-level accident. But all of those come at a high price, but i think this price is worth it.

Anayways: I really think nuclear power should remain an important part of space exploration and (if i write one someday) i would include a bunch of RTG´s and nuclear reactors into the long term plans for humanity´s future in space.
my favorite part in Titan is when a reporter asks about the tons of plutonium on Discovery, and the plans to shoot it down should it come toward earth
Yeah, that was pretty dumps. Shooting such a thing down with missiles is the LAST thing you want. What you do is building that part of the payload in a way that keeps it encapsuled as long as possible and incase of a reactor: Just keep it offline until it reaches orbit, this solves a lot of the radiation-problem, just because there is much less ray-production in the play. Yes: nature won´t get happy about such a crash, but it can be mannaged. And if it remains in one part, there is a chance to get it out of the water relatively easy. But shooting some missiles into it at first? Yeah: Good luck for the clean-up.
I will say the Challenger Doc on Netflix is amazing, but the Three-mile island made by the same team is less so, it gets the point across on the disaster, kind of, but it was a political shitshow
Okay, haven´t seen the Three-mile island thing yet, don´t know if netflix even has it here in germany, but the challenger-thing was just great. I have never seen such a good documentary about space related topics that happend in this century.

it's on Netflix in Canada
Yeah, but i really think that a lot of this came out of different cultures when it goes to reactor design: On the one side it was: Build it in a way it works without breaking the bank, on the other side it was: Build it not only as efficient as possible, but also as safe as possible.
In all places (including the states, their lucky to not have a sub-disaster), cheaper is the best option,
RBMK (Reactor at Chernobyl and the rest of the soviet union) reactors, don't explode.
Until you put it on half production for 12 hours, causing Xenon buildup, run a safety test which lowers reactor output, due to Xenon said reaction drops to the lowest ever recorded on the said reactor, start pulling rods out to improve reactivity, doesn't work, stop water flow, doesn't work for a second and a half before the Xenon is quickly burned off and reactivity skyrockets.
THEN hitting the SCRAM button which would shut down the reaction, only the tips are made of a reactive material, not a neutralizer, and putting in 215 rods at once, the reactivity skyrockets, boiling the water inside, and making the rods get stuck in the partially in position, causing a runaway reaction, where the reactor turns itself into a hypothermic bomb, exploding

(This will be a bit offtopic) Yes, i know that a lot. It might sounds crazy, but the last time i have seen it in this black or white-way of thinking was when i was about 12. Then i came into possession of "The hunt for Red october", was fascinated by the detailed descriptions, including the reactor-stuff and after that i began a little research into basic reactor designs, accidants and so on and no i am not giving a damn sh*** about what most of the media or politicians say about it, because i can see: What they say is uninformed and onesided in 95% of the cases. What´s important are the facts, and those say: There are reactor-designs out there that that are as close to absolute accident-resistance as you can get if the personal is trained and managed in the right way. And if something happens, there are enough options out there to be build in as emergency-systems to prevent a tschernobyl or Fukushima-level accident. But all of those come at a high price, but i think this price is worth it.

Anayways: I really think nuclear power should remain an important part of space exploration and (if i write one someday) i would include a bunch of RTG´s and nuclear reactors into the long term plans for humanity´s future in space.
people want simple explanations, "yes or no" and the dumbest answer possible, Nuclear physics is the opposite, where the knowledge is so advanced that anyone reading the news would go "wtf"

Nuclear stuff is important for space, but we are still a ways away from being politically able to do it

NASA has the same problem, Apollo 11 was simple, Land On The Moon, but after that, it was a repeat in public minds, no one cared for Geology, and how the moon formed as its complicated as heck, not to mention NASA personnel using scientific terms everywhere instead of laymen terms in interviews (Breccia, Regolith being the worst), or the general complicated nature of how people described being on the moon, Magnificent desolation is one thing, saying it was a barren desert is better in terms of what people can imagine

and why cant earth terms are used, I'm pretty into the Lunar Geology stuff, but to layman nothing scientists say will make sense

Regolith, lunar dirt confuses the shit out of people
Rille, lava tube, why not call it lava tube
The crater is easy to figure out
Appinine, "mountain chain"

There's a reason why after the 60s "Cameras are for the Public, so we do not need it for science" rule was overturned, look at the iconic photos of the solar system from probes, 60s scientists didn't want to have them for the reason that it doesn't give practical data, just visual (think EM, gravity readings, atmosphere sampling, and Magnetic fields). In order for NASA and space to be more successful, and make things EASY AS FUCK to understand, I think Hubble is amazing, but I would just have it planet-watching or asteroid hunting, not looking at stars we won't visit for another ten thousand years, I honestly believe JWST to be a waste of money.

heck, a camera wasn't a critical part of Apollo 11, it was put in when an Tom Stafford questioned how the first step would be documented when no actual live event was considered (have the guy in the LM record and release it when its back on earth)

Last edited:
stop water flow
This part alone should have brought them into stopping what they did. You have a nuclear reactor with water cooling, and then you think about stopping exactly that cooling-system? It´s crazy that the technician in charge wasn´t able to question his own thinking. There was too much politics in the play regarding to those power plants.
people want simple explanations, "yes or no" and the dumbest answer possible, Nuclear physics is the opposite, where the knowledge is so advanced that anyone reading the news would go "wtf"
Exactly. There are no simple answers, if someone asks a professional for such answers, then the professionals have to ask them a lot of questions first, such things like: Which reactor are you talking about? etc. There have to be specific questions to give an informed answer.
Nuclear stuff is important for space, but we are still a ways away from being politically able to do it
Yeah, exactly that it is. How often do we fly an RTG into space now? About once a decade incase of the US, i don´t think that Russia has sent up something like that in the last 20 years or so and nobody really knows what China is doing regarding to that. So i take the number for the US as baseline: Sending up one single RTG-powered mission per decade isn´t really much for the scientists who would like to take a closer look into the outer solar system and who want to get the engineering-data they need to build up larger nuclear powered systems for the future. The politics have to change regarding to that, but i see hope for that: There is the ongoing renaissance for nuclear power all over the earth. Basically nobody besides us germans is on the way out of nuclear power. And even here there comes more and more resistance against shutting down our last reactors in April of this year.
NASA has the same problem, Apollo 11 was simple, Land On The Moon, but after that, it was a repeat in public minds, no one cared for Geology, and how the moon formed as its complicated as heck, not to mention NASA personnel using scientific terms everywhere instead of laymen terms in interviews (Breccia, Regolith being the worst), or the general complicated nature of how people described being on the moon, Magnificent desolation is one thing, saying it was a barren desert is better in terms of what people can imagine
Yeah, nobody really cares about the scientific stuff, but this leads me to the thinking that you have to present this science in a way that makes them care: Geologic surveys lead to one thing: Resource exploitation. Our Space Agencies really have to start with talking about moving into a space based economy. Present your people the new opportunities that come out of the science-stuff to explain them why "repeated" missions can be highly important.
and why cant earth terms are used, I'm pretty into the Lunar Geology stuff, but to layman nothing scientists say will make sense

Regolith, lunar dirt confuses the shit out of people
Rille, lava tube, why not call it lava tube
The crater is easy to figure out
Appinine, "mountain chain"
Oh i am with you all the way in this case: Most scientists confuse the rest of the world when they begin to explain things and this makes PR-work pretty difficult.
I think Hubble is amazing, but I would just have it planet-watching or asteroid hunting, not looking at stars we won't visit for another ten thousand years, I honestly believe JWST to be a waste of money.
It would be really nice to have at least some such photographs from hubble out of it´s final years. And regarding to JWST: I don´t see it like that from the start, but they really kept that thing going tooo long. This thing took more then 20 years to build and it costs nearly 10 times the amount that was planned in 1998. I was three when they authorized that thing damn it. Thinking about it like that makes it even crazier to me. Personally i think they should have axed it at the point when it became clear that the cost overruns will be in the 250% range at least. Ax this thing, look at which instruments are ready and which can be easily reused for another mission in the future. This is just one example for the culture that NASA was (mostly) forced into presenting by Washington for the last 20-30 years: Never stop a mandated program, despite every cost overruns. If Washington wants it, it will fly someday. This goes for JWST, this goes for SLS and the Artemis we are probably going to see, and this goes for Boeings Starliner. All of them are not really liked by some parts of the Agency, all of them are hopelessly over budget and behind shedule and all of them are kept going without reasonable redesigns at the cost of probably douzends of other missions that would give more good publicity and much more scientific outcome anyways. All those missions are either never comming to live, come with such delays that the Agency is forced to choose between: Launching outdated technology or dumping even more money and time into them to keep them up to date before they finally go into space, or they get authorized and funded, but go into hellish dev-cycle that finishes off with a cancellation. All those engine demonstrators we saw in the last 20 years who came to beeing, which were close to beeing ready for use, just to be finally dumped overboard are just some examples (F1B, J-2X, etc.)
heck, a camera wasn't a critical part of Apollo 11, it was put in when an Tom Stafford questioned how the first step would be documented when no actual live event was considered (have the guy in the LM record and release it when its back on earth)
Yeah i heard about that, that´s just stupid. NASA gave a damn about PR in those times, it was better when the Shuttle came around, but it was far from "good" and the most recent status change of their PR-work didn´t came out of their own work but from the outside: Youtubers and streamers started to build up careers out of talking about spaceflight, Kerbal Space Program came into beeing, the private Sector showed how good reports about ongoing missions are to be made. Damn: NASA´s PR-Office was essential for the Youtuber "Tim Dodd" aka "Everyday Astronaut" to get into their facilities and into contact with a lot of space companys who work with and for NASA. Their PR-Office itself was at least capable enough to see: We don´t have a clue how to do it, but we found someone who seems to have found a way to "Bring down space to earth for everyday people" (Yes i am a Tim Dodd-fan from the start, even found him before NASA found out about his work)

I really think this would be a great time for another NASA-Trilogy, but on that´s thought out and scraps the bunch of crazy ideas Baxter used for his books (baically all of the later two books). Books that explain all the tech in a manner that can be understood without any knowledge about these things, but still in a way that could work. Basically: Do it like Andy Weir did in his books. There is a reason why the cinematic adaptation of "The Martian" became a Blockbuster: The book was not only "good" but just great. Exactly the thing i would like to see from Baxter too.

Last edited:
Yeah, nobody really cares about the scientific stuff, but this leads me to the thinking that you have to present this science in a way that makes them care: Geologic surveys lead to one thing: Resource exploitation. Our Space Agencies really have to start with talking about moving into a space based economy. Present your people the new opportunities that come out of the science-stuff to explain them why "repeated" missions can be highly important.
Exactly why apollo was canned, had the Soviets had a successful landing program, or beat the states, then we would see missions until one side quit when the next country might land missions for another 2 years, when their program would be canned.
I.e. keep flying as long as the "Enemy" is flying
its the only way Apollo 20 would happen
The only reason they had 10 missions planned, was that it was thought that it would take more than one attempt at landing, to the point where Apollo 11-13 were stacked and "ready to go" by the time 11 flew, had 11 failed, 12 would attempt in September, and 13 in November
all would stick to the G-mission plan, which would have a one-day capable lm, and THEN would future missions occur, god knows what the flight list would be for 14 and after, and who the first man is if the "second chance" was upheld (Tom Paine promised both the 11 and 12 crews that they would fly the next mission if theirs failed, which would push Conrad-Bean-Gordon as the first landing crew, after they got bumped from 12 in favor of Armstrong's team, which failed, Twice).
this would likely have a
Apollo 14 like apollo 12 with Lovells team
Apollo 15 like apollo 13 original mission with Shepards team
Apollo 16, First J-mission, Scotts team
Apollo 17 Second J-mission with Youngs team
Apollo 18 Third J mission Cernan's original team, wth Joe Engle
Apollo 19 Fourth J mission, Gordon's team, with Harrison Schmitt
the whole "Second chance" thing is ignored my most TLs who have a 11 failing to land
(Apollo 19 is iffy, it depends on when the cuts come to NASA, with no apollo 13, and a landing on 13, the next missions would be the "production landings (H and J missions)", with the 2 per year rule, 14 and 15 launches in 70, 16 and 17 in 71 and 18 and 19 in 72), following our real-life flight plan (after 11), adapted with the 3 attempts in 69
Oh i am with you all the way in this case: Most scientists confuse the rest of the world when they begin to explain things and this makes PR-work pretty difficult.
its the high-minded nature, people love to be fancy, and naming things in Latin is the most fanciest of them all,
I can imagine a scientist and laymen going like this
someone asked a scientist what regolith was, only to be confounded when the person explained it was "finely grained particulate matter that makes up the surface of the moon", which the guy questioned, what exactly that is, which the scientist exhales dramatically and says, Dust

It would be really nice to have at least some such photographs from hubble out of it´s final years. And regarding to JWST: I don´t see it like that from the start, but they really kept that thing going tooo long. This thing took more then 20 years to build and it costs nearly 10 times the amount that was planned in 1998. I was three when they authorized that thing damn it. Thinking about it like that makes it even crazier to me. Personally i think they should have axed it at the point when it became clear that the cost overruns will be in the 250% range at least. Ax this thing, look at which instruments are ready and which can be easily reused for another mission in the future. This is just one example for the culture that NASA was (mostly) forced into presenting by Washington for the last 20-30 years: Never stop a mandated program, despite every cost overruns. If Washington wants it, it will fly someday. This goes for JWST, this goes for SLS and the Artemis we are probably going to see, and this goes for Boeings Starliner. All of them are not really liked by some parts of the Agency, all of them are hopelessly over budget and behind shedule and all of them are kept going without reasonable redesigns at the cost of probably douzends of other missions that would give more good publicity and much more scientific outcome anyways. All those missions are either never comming to live, come with such delays that the Agency is forced to choose between: Launching outdated technology or dumping even more money and time into them to keep them up to date before they finally go into space, or they get authorized and funded, but go into hellish dev-cycle that finishes off with a cancellation. All those engine demonstrators we saw in the last 20 years who came to beeing, which were close to beeing ready for use, just to be finally dumped overboard are just some examples (F1B, J-2X, etc.)
F-1B was a pipe dream to make money, it never would have been cheap and was anything but an updated F-1 engine, it was a new engine designed to have the same lift, using the same basic dimensions. and it was only developed by Rocketdyne in hopes of aquiring the lucrative (at the time) Ares V contract, and later SLS, but Shuttle congress has the power to keep the srbs, so it was never persued, and the engine likely would be ridiculously expensive, no matter what the "its made from modern cheaper components" statments say
J-2X wasn't needed due to SLS using the far cheaper RL-10 engine cluster on its EUS (DO NOT GET ME STARTED ON THAT DECISION TO NOT FLY WITH IT FIRST), the J-2X just wasnt economical, no commerical satilite companiny in their right mind would use it due to cost, and its primary vechilces, the Ares 1 and V were both canned, leaving the engine in limbo

and JWST already has a successor in the works, the Carl Sagan Observatory, which my god, is it huge, can't wait for the launch in 2050
im not defending JWST by any means, but the cost was mostly the storage of its mirrors, which required insanely super clean freezers to store, which has been eating up funding since their fabrication, and by the point where "holy shit, this costs an insane amount" was realized, it was so far in development that it would be wasteful to not fly (the mirrors couldn't be used on other missions due to the unique design of the telescope)
The National Reconnaissance Office gave NASA two spy sat mirrors in 2012 (along with the telescopes itself) which are going to be used on the next two space telescopes.
the funny part is, NASA had to pull the brand new tech on the chassis and replace it with their older stuff to be compatible, as unlike the NRO NASA doesn't update shit, the Perseverance Rovers computer is from the 90s

Yeah i heard about that, that´s just stupid. NASA gave a damn about PR in those times, it was better when the Shuttle came around, but it was far from "good" and the most recent status change of their PR-work didn´t came out of their own work but from the outside: Youtubers and streamers started to build up careers out of talking about spaceflight, Kerbal Space Program came into beeing, the private Sector showed how good reports about ongoing missions are to be made. Damn: NASA´s PR-Office was essential for the Youtuber "Tim Dodd" aka "Everyday Astronaut" to get into their facilities and into contact with a lot of space companys who work with and for NASA. Their PR-Office itself was at least capable enough to see: We don´t have a clue how to do it, but we found someone who seems to have found a way to "Bring down space to earth for everyday people" (Yes i am a Tim Dodd-fan from the start, even found him before NASA found out about his work)
Shuttle-era stuff was fine, but in the 60s, even Cameras on probes were frowned upon "its a waste as only the public will care, it doesn't give any data, so why bother"
I really think this would be a great time for another NASA-Trilogy, but on that´s thought out and scraps the bunch of crazy ideas Baxter used for his books (baically all of the later two books). Books that explain all the tech in a manner that can be understood without any knowledge about these things, but still in a way that could work. Basically: Do it like Andy Weir did in his books. There is a reason why the cinematic adaptation of "The Martian" became a Blockbuster: The book was not only "good" but just great. Exactly the thing i would like to see from Baxter too.
The Martian was INSANELY dumbed down to the simplest elements, easy for a reader to understand, same with the movie, where they explained and showed his situation, my favorite being the "launch him into space under a tarp" scene. its a miracle both are easy for a reader to understand

have a Voyage Remastered, over 2 books, the first being the pre-mission stuff, the second being the mission and return and aftermath
Titan done BETTER, use modern political stuff to get a mission to Titan done, breaking out Shuttle and Saturn V tech, have an anti-science movement, none of the youth stuff the original had, more of a return to Christian rules, like the book
Moonrise, the earth is being flooded, so the moon needs to be terraformed/colonized in less than 10-20 years before the earth is uninhabitable

honestly, Baxter is good, but his novels are always "a bit too far fetched" his flooded earth series is excellent, but the successor short stories were meh

Last edited:
for the EUS, it is STUPID to not develop the rocket fully, SLS without EUS has a severely overpowered first stage, and an insanely underpowered second stage, with EUS the SLS can launch 50 more tons to orbit, i know that the budget didn't allow both to be developed, but pushing this better variation down the line is begging for cancellation. Which if the lack of budget for SLS 1b stays, is already cancelled, like constellation
i honestly expect SLS to launch less than 10 times in its career
more if the Shuttle Congress keeps it running for their job safety, which might occur

Last edited:
. Damn: NASA´s PR-Office was essential for the Youtuber "Tim Dodd" aka "Everyday Astronaut" to get into their facilities and into contact with a lot of space companys who work with and for NASA. Their PR-Office itself was at least capable enough to see: We don´t have a clue how to do it, but we found someone who seems to have found a way to "Bring down space to earth for everyday people" (Yes i am a Tim Dodd-fan from the start, even found him before NASA found out about his work)
i don't like or disklike tim dodd, i prefer Scott Manley, his interstellar quest videos got me into space, and i find his videos better for someone who has a bit more knowledge then the average dude, (a bit more advanced, and explains things to a more advanced level then Tim)
Tims videos are amazing for a person with ZERO knowledge
Scotts videos require you to know a bit, or watch one of his "basics" videos

but the cost was mostly the storage of its mirrors, which required insanely super clean freezers to store, which has been eating up funding since their fabrication,
Okay, i am pretty surprised that i never heard about that explanation, sounds logic... but still: They should have dumped that thing a long time ago. Despite the mirrors.
The National Reconnaissance Office gave NASA two spy sat mirrors in 2012 (along with the telescopes itself) which are going to be used on the next two space telescopes.
the funny part is, NASA had to pull the brand new tech on the chassis and replace it with their older stuff to be compatible, as unlike the NRO NASA doesn't update shit, the Perseverance Rovers computer is from the 90s
Yes, i know. The Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope will use one of those two.
"its a waste as only the public will care, it doesn't give any data, so why bother"
Yes and then they wonder "why does the public give a damn about keeping us funded? We don´t get it", idiots. Sorry but in this case i can only say: Idiots.
The Martian was INSANELY dumbed down to the simplest elements, easy for a reader to understand, same with the movie, where they explained and showed his situation, my favorite being the "launch him into space under a tarp" scene. its a miracle both are easy for a reader to understand
Yes some parts were, but this is EXACTLY what we need for the wide masses, to motivate them into aknowledging: Space is highly important for our future. If dumbed down is they way to do it, then it has to be done. And both the book and the film are just great and funny.
honestly, Baxter is good, but his novels are always "a bit too far fetched" his flooded earth series is excellent, but the successor short stories were meh
Okay, i haven´t read so much he has written in de last decade but from all i have read of his works: I agree. His ideas are good in the first place but then he goes crazy about it and he just ignors logic and facts if they would brake his ideas. And (in my eyes) he has the habbit to end things to early, every time i have read a book of him and came to the end it just felt like: There are some pages missing, you cut it short (again).
for the EUS, it is STUPID to not develop the rocket fully, SLS without EUS has a severely overpowered first stage, and an insanely underpowered second stage, with EUS the SLS can launch 50 more tons to orbit, i know that the budget didn't allow both to be developed, but pushing this better variation down the line is begging for cancellation. Which if the lack of budget for SLS 1b stays, is already cancelled, like constellation
i honestly expect SLS to launch less than 10 times in its career
more if the Shuttle Congress keeps it running for their job safety, which might occur
Oh i think the idea to use the simpler upper stage first wasn´t a bad idea from the start. They had the hope that the rest of the vehicle would take much less time to be brought online, so there was a need for a drop-in for the EUS, but then the delays came in and yes: It would have been better so cancel the Block I and concentrate the money on the new interstage and the EUS itself.
And personally i give the SLS about 4 launches, i am no fan of starship nor elon musk but i think they will use that thing as soon as it flies, despite the complications that it brings with it when it´s used for lunar missions. I really think we won´t see SLS fly after about 2026, 2027 at the most. That thing is just done. I loved to see it fly for the first time, but it´s tech is too old and they have allowed their contractors (aka Boeing) too much money drain for far too much time. As sad as it is: I think if starship works, then SLS will go as soon as this thing is human rated.
i don't like or disklike tim dodd, i prefer Scott Manley, his interstellar quest videos got me into space, and i find his videos better for someone who has a bit more knowledge then the average dude, (a bit more advanced, and explains things to a more advanced level then Tim)
Oh i love both of them, but for the last 2 or 3 years i have moved a lot more to Tim Dodd, and yes: His knowledge wasn´t the best at first, but he has build up a lot of knowledge in the last couple of years and his long-form videos are just great (Look at the sowjet-engine family tree-video he made a while ago, this is great work)
Tims videos are amazing for a person with ZERO knowledge
Scotts videos require you to know a bit, or watch one of his "basics" videos
Yeah they address different audiences and both of them do it really well. And yeah: I love to see the real amazingnes in Tims behavior when he learns all of those things. We need both of theese guys.

Last edited:
Okay, i am pretty surprised that i never heard about that explanation, sounds logic... but still: They should have dumped that thing a long time ago. Despite the mirrors.

Yes, i know. The Nancy Grace Roman Space Telescope will use one of those two.

Yes and then they wonder "why does the public give a damn about keeping us funded? We don´t get it", idiots. Sorry but in this case i can only say: Idiots.

Yes some parts were, but this is EXACTLY what we need for the wide masses, to motivate them into aknowledging: Space is highly important for our future. If dumbed down is they way to do it, then it has to be done. And both the book and the film are just great and funny.

Okay, i haven´t read so much he has written in de last decade but from all i have read of his works: I agree. His ideas are good in the first place but then he goes crazy about it and he just ignors logic and facts if they would brake his ideas. And (in my eyes) he has the habbit to end things to early, every time i have read a book of him and came to the end it just felt like: There are some pages missing, you cut it short (again).

Oh i think the idea to use the simpler upper stage first wasn´t a bad idea from the start. They had the hope that the rest of the vehicle would take much less time to be brought online, so there was a need for a drop-in for the EUS, but then the delays came in and yes: It would have been better so cancel the Block I and concentrate the money on the new interstage and the EUS itself.
And personally i give the SLS about 4 launches, i am no fan of starship nor elon musk but i think they will use that thing as soon as it flies, despite the complications that it brings with it when it´s used for lunar missions. I really think we won´t see SLS fly after about 2026, 2027 at the most. That thing is just done. I loved to see it fly for the first time, but it´s tech is too old and they have allowed their contractors (aka Boeing) too much money drain for far too much time. As sad as it is: I think if starship works, then SLS will go as soon as this thing is human rated.

Oh i love both of them, but for the last 2 or 3 years i have moved a lot more to Tim Dodd, and yes: His knowledge wasn´t the best at first, but he has build up a lot of knowledge in the last couple of years and his long-form videos are just great (Look at the sowjet-engine family tree-video he made a while ago, this is great work)

Yeah they address different audiences and both of them do it really well. And yeah: I love to see the real amazingnes in Tims behavior when he learns all of those things. We need both of theese guys.
honestly, Armstrong wasn't a good first man on the moon, he was notoriously quiet, somber, and extraordinarily technical, his interviews are dry as hell (look up when we left earth apollo 11, and he describes the boulder field like he is doing a post-mission debrief for a scientist), aldrin was legendary in his attempt to be first out, and became an alcoholic (he got fired from Edwards air force base because he was considered "the worst commander the base had had so far"), not to mention the selling of his name and using his second man fame to earn boatloads of money. and Collins, was Collins, a down-to-earth guy, whose stories were well told

Apollo 12s crew is a representation of the best, good friends, all charismatic and larger than life, each being down-to-earth guys, and each was excellent communicators, being able to make things sound interesting, and more importantly, do it in a funny way

It didn't affect apollo but did affect their perception of Apollo

It didn't affect apollo but did affect their perception of Apollo
Yeah i agress, most of the death sentences for the program were already outspoken before any of those people launched.
And yes: Out of the Apollo 11 crew, Armstrong was the one who has used his fame in the smallest manner. Collins did it right: not too much, but it´s obvious that he wanted to secure that his story is told right and that the global community can hear it. What´s up with aldrin is this: Yes: he did some nice things in communicating space stuff, but what goes with everything he did before and after apollo, is that he is "arrogant as hell" (Not my word, but the ones of Donald K. Slayton (I just rewatched a 1994 documentary that included everyone of the then still living Mercury 7 "Moon Shot" (Way better then everything that has been made since)). He already is a big man, but he gives everything to present himself even larger then that. Damn: He flew to the moon and was part of the first crew that landed there, he seems to have kickstarted the EVA-Training that NASA is doing until this day. Those are really important things, but still: He is only a human and he still was a public servant of the people of the United States.

Yeah i agress, most of the death sentences for the program were already outspoken before any of those people launched.
And yes: Out of the Apollo 11 crew, Armstrong was the one who has used his fame in the smallest manner. Collins did it right: not too much, but it´s obvious that he wanted to secure that his story is told right and that the global community can hear it. What´s up with aldrin is this: Yes: he did some nice things in communicating space stuff, but what goes with everything he did before and after apollo, is that he is "arrogant as hell" (Not my word, but the ones of Donald K. Slayton (I just rewatched a 1994 documentary that included everyone of the then still living Mercury 7 "Moon Shot" (Way better then everything that has been made since)). He already is a big man, but he gives everything to present himself even larger then that. Damn: He flew to the moon and was part of the first crew that landed there, he seems to have kickstarted the EVA-Training that NASA is doing until this day. Those are really important things, but still: He is only a human and he still was a public servant of the people of the United States.
from what I've read in apollo autobiographies, each astronaut says that Aldin was awesome in his eva training, and rendevous theory, but he made sure everyone knew it was him, he would constantly brag, and even went around trying to collect LMP signatures for the LMP first out that he wanted. Chris Kraft basically admitted in his autobiography that he ordered for Armstrong out first, because everyone could agree that Neil was ideal for the task. Deke even stated that without Basset and Sees deaths, Aldrin wouldn't have been on apollo, either not making it to the moon, or flying on a later mission. Fred Haise was the original LMP proposed, but everyone agreed they wanted a Veteran crew on 11, at one point aldrin was the choice for CMP, but got moved to LMP (i think collins was that LMP), had that happened, he likely would have gunned for 17, kicking Cernan out (Cernan asked Deke to NOT be on 16 and instead command 17, which had mike collins asked, would have been his mission)
there was even talk due to his behavior of booting him and having the LMP be Jim Lovell, but Armstrong wanted Jim to command his own landing

I'm not denying his achievements and work in eva's, that was just brilliant

the fact he became a drunk afterward speaks wonders about his psyche, he was the only astronaut depressed after a mission,

there was even talk due to his behavior of booting him and having the LMP be Jim Lovell, but Armstrong wanted Jim to command his own landing
Oh, i have heard about all the other things a lot of time, but not this.... looks like Jim Lovell walking on the moon just wasn´t meant to be...... that´s trajic :(
I'm not denying his achievements and work in eva's, that was just brilliant
Oh i am right with you, he did highly important things, but still: He has a arrogant personality.
the fact he became a drunk afterward speaks wonders about his psyche, he was the only astronaut depressed after a mission,
Or the only one where it came out, i think we can never be shure about that. Especially the early 1-2 decades of NASA-history were extremely stressfull for everyone who worked there (or their families), i wouldn´t be surprised if there were some more astronauts from that time who had a alcohol or drug-problem.

Oh, i have heard about all the other things a lot of time, but not this.... looks like Jim Lovell walking on the moon just wasn´t meant to be...... that´s trajic :(
its in a few of the autobiorgaphies and memoirs, First Man has the Lovell/Aldrin switch

Oh i am right with you, he did highly important things, but still: He has a arrogant personality.

Or the only one where it came out, i think we can never be shure about that. Especially the early 1-2 decades of NASA-history were extremely stressfull for everyone who worked there (or their families), i wouldn´t be surprised if there were some more astronauts from that time who had a alcohol or drug-problem.
most have described the moon as a kind of let down, due to the shear amount of rehearsing every moment, being on the moon blew by, or just felt like training on earth
as the crew of Apollo 12 stated,
"is that all there is?"
the shear amount of divorces after the fact didn't help matters, most that did get divorced begged their wives to wait till they launched to the moon, as being a "Happily married man with a loving wife and kids" was hugely important for PR (by the later missions this rule was thrown out, both due to the fact nobody gave a shit about lunar flights and their crews, and that the astronauts willing to actually put the work in were drying up [no one wanted to back up a flight with no chance of a future mission down the road])
I'm sure depression came from the AFTERMATH (divorces, strained relationships, kids growing up without you), but Aldrin is the only one who had it from the mission itself
Donn Eisele was funny, being totally oblivious to this rule, had Apollo 7 not resulted in the crew being banned, he would never have flown.
(In case you didn't know, he was a married man who constantly had affairs)

The actual depression from missions will never be known, Cernan felt he had to share his experience, causing his divorce, but others seemed to go on normally, getting cushy corporate positions, going back to flying, or even spending time with family
Aldrin's the only one who showed it, he fumbled as Commander of Edwards, drank constantly, and according to one story, I remember reading, would constantly try to get a promotion to General, as often after a flight, Crew would get promoted.
even Joe Engle was kinda fine with the swap for Schmitt (he was PISSED, but understood the underlying reasoning), he never showed depression for his lack of flight

been rereading Voyage and i found something

one of the Geology Trainers Jeorge Romero, who is a huge part of the science team, quits over the lack of scientific focus on the mission (not enough observation time on the ground and such), quitting over this, which York, sadley lements as his absence would mean alot less science focusing, and a lower output of science being done

Joege seems nice and all, but he is a FUCKING IDIOT, there is 1 shot at mars, 1 chance for a landing and return of samples (which we havent even done), how does he expect the flight to be anything but Pure science (observations, extraordinarily detailed sample collection and surverys), when the objective is 1 land, 2 return safely, and 3 science

i just found it to be a microcausum of scientists in general, and the Apollo Geologists quitting for the low priorty science was given on early flights (11 and 12)

been rereading Voyage and i found something

one of the Geology Trainers Jeorge Romero, who is a huge part of the science team, quits over the lack of scientific focus on the mission (not enough observation time on the ground and such), quitting over this, which York, sadley lements as his absence would mean alot less science focusing, and a lower output of science being done

Joege seems nice and all, but he is a FUCKING IDIOT, there is 1 shot at mars, 1 chance for a landing and return of samples (which we havent even done), how does he expect the flight to be anything but Pure science (observations, extraordinarily detailed sample collection and surverys), when the objective is 1 land, 2 return safely, and 3 science

i just found it to be a microcausum of scientists in general, and the Apollo Geologists quitting for the low priorty science was given on early flights (11 and 12)
It is sad, I get why scientists had a hard time with Apollo (and Ares in the book Voyage), but they do not get or understand the basic necessities, Geology takes a long time, Months at sites, in Apollo, that site was 3 days of stay at most, on Ares it is one month.
even worse with interesting sites which would only have an hour of stay time with no returns

It's a minor disconnect that scientists have hard time with to this day, Mars rovers can study a rock for a month, if it was Crewed, that rock would have 30 minutes of attention at most

Voyage exacerbates the science disconnect, due to 3 lunar landings, only 1 J mission. scientists pick apart apollo 11 for its waste of surface time (1 eva, presidents call, ELSEP, plaque), and the lack of detailed sampling and documentation "astronaut grabbed a rock, instead of documenting which rock, its surroundings, and taking a picture of before and after removal"

Yeah, my thought to. It was logic to write that part in, just because it´s human to be frustrated about something like that, but still: It wasn´t rational at all.
That was dump too, they reduced the possible output of the missions after that. And besides that: It is in the interest of the scientists that the technology that´s need for the basic needs of the missions (Transport, landing, live support) has been checked out until a point where it´s ensured that it is save to use those first before the main focus can switch towards the science in full.
Geology takes a long time, Months at sites, in Apollo, that site was 3 days of stay at most, on Ares it is one month.
even worse with interesting sites which would only have an hour of stay time with no returns
Exactly and this is why it would have been better so send some landers (with a rover if possible) down there for do some scouting for the crewed mission and to give a better chance for long term operation before the logged data and samples are brought back to earth by the human crew.

I'm figuring out voyager casting

Ralph Gershon is the guy who plays Stevie's dad Abe in Malcolm in the middle (he is the only one who fits his eccentricity)
Natalie York is Sigourney Weaver
Adam Bleeker is a young Brian Cranston
Phil Stone is Jeol Kinnaman or John Cena
(this requires time travel to work lol)

I'm figuring out voyager casting

Ralph Gershon is the guy who plays Stevie's dad Abe in Malcolm in the middle (he is the only one who fits his eccentricity)
Natalie York is Sigourney Weaver
Adam Bleeker is a young Brian Cranston
Phil Stone is Jeol Kinnaman or John Cena
(this requires time travel to work lol)
Can't...unsee. That's honestly a pretty good array.

For what it's worth, I pictured Mike Conlig (the NERVA engineer) looking rather like James Spader from the original Stargate movie. Only with darker hair. No idea how that meshes with any in-book description, though.

Can't...unsee. That's honestly a pretty good array.

For what it's worth, I pictured Mike Conlig (the NERVA engineer) looking rather like James Spader from the original Stargate movie. Only with darker hair. No idea how that meshes with any in-book description, though.
not Greesy/slimy enough

Billy Bob Thorton, or the Guy who plays Chris Kraft In Apollo 13