Movie Casting & Ideas: What Could Have Been

Driftless

Donor
Director John Huston tried since the 1950's to adapt "The Man who would be King".
He want Clark Gable and Humphry Bogart in the lead in the 50's but Bogart died before they start filming.
Than Huston approached Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas
Then Richard Burton and Peter O Toole
Then Robert Redford and Paul Newman after the success of "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
Huston finally made the film with Sean Connery and Michael Cain.

It hard to image that any of the other casting would have done as well as Connery and Cain.
But I would have like to see Burt Lancaster and Kirk Douglas version.

As filmed, it's really a British Empire story. All of the American options listed could have been excellent choices, but you probably need to set the tale in Central or South America(or the South Pacific??) and tune the script accordingly. Lancaster and Douglas would have been a fabulous combo for that type of story. The great-grandfathers of the "Tough Guys":cool:

Burt Lancaster turned down three roles that were done by Carleton Heston.
The Agony and the Ecstasy, Khartoum and Ben Hur.
He was offered the Lead in both Patton and Then Poseidon Adventure.

In addition to Burt Lancaster, Both Rock Huston and Kirk Douglas wanted the lead in the movie Ben Hur.
Douglas was offer the role of Mesala. He turn it down and went on to do Spartacus.
Leslie Nielsen wanted the role of Mesala and did a screen test for it. But he lost the part to Stephen Boyd.

Driftless

Donor
I could easily see Lancaster in Agony and the Ecstasy, Ben Hur, and Patton. I would think Kirk Douglas would have done very well as Michaelangelo or as Ben Hur. As I've gotten older, Heston's relentless brooding intensity often wears thin for me.

Frank Sinatra as Joe Leland in the sequel to 1968's The Detective called Nothing Lasts Forever, "in which Leland is trapped in a Klaxon Oil Corporation skyscraper after it is taken by German terrorists and must rescue his daughter and grandchildren." (summary from Wikipedia).

If the concept sounds familiar, that's because it is.

How about Commando 2: Nothing Last Forever? Arnold Schwarznegger in the sequel to Commando in which he goes to LA to visit his Daughter on Christmas Eve at the Skyscraper that she works at. It taken over by Terrorist and he must rescue his Daughter.
Yes the Script was considered as a sequel to Commando at some point and we could have seen Schwarznegger instead of Bruce Willis.

How about Commando 2: Nothing Last Forever? Arnold Schwarznegger in the sequel to Commando in which he goes to LA to visit his Daughter on Christmas Eve at the Skyscraper that she works at. It taken over by Terrorist and he must rescue his Daughter.
Yes the Script was considered as a sequel to Commando at some point and we could have seen Schwarznegger instead of Bruce Willis.
...I can't...I just...
nope.

The Sinatra version may have been at least palatable (if it had happened in the 70's rather than the 80's) but as a sequel to Commando...? I mean they would have had to quadruple the number of Terrorists involved to satisfy the Commando Kill-Count which would have devolved the movie into just another generic 80's Shoot-'em-Up.

All told, I'm pretty pleased with the version we got IOTL.

Sharpe: we're all used to Sean Bean in the title role. But the filming in Ukraine started with Paul McGann in the role. After a fortnight, he got a football injury, and Bean took over.

mcgann5.jpg

Gods & Generals.

Russell Crowe was supposed to play Thomas Jackson in this prequel to Gettysburg. He couldn't, due to other commitments, and so Stephen Lang, playing Pickett, had to step in at short notice, his original role being filled by Billy Campbell.

Tom Berenger was keen to again feature as Longstreet, but was otherwise engaged. Bruce Boxleitner had to fill in.

Martin Sheen was similarly enthusiastic about returning to his role as Lee - he couldn't get time off from The West Wing, necessitating Robert Duvall's recruitment.

John Prosky was needed to play Lew Armistead, as Richard Jordan was dead. Royce Applegate did manage Kemper, but was ill, and he only really appears in group shots.

How To Beat the High Cost of Living: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080895/

Apparently, the script for this movie was first presented in 1971, but it took eight to nine years to make. Other actresses that were contacted for leading roles were Ann-Margret, Shirley MacLaine, Faye Dunaway, Jane Fonda, Dolly Parton, and Raquel Welch, to name a few.

Gods & Generals.
This whole situation made me sad when it happened and I'm still sad about it to this day. Certainly, Duvall was a convincing Lee--if somewhat less gentle in character than Sheen's portrayal (incidentally, Duvall is distantly related to Lee on his mother's side) and Lang was good as Jackson, even though the about face from Pickett was difficult. The biggest trouble with the film was the time between Gettysburg and it and that, as with the book, it felt entirely too hurried.

I had not heard that one. The "Pockets" role as played by Red Buttons was partly a comic foil, partly romantic fixer in the movie. I can't see Gable in either spot, so maybe a different script?
Hawks rarely worked with a set script especially on his Wayne films. That's why I said "remnants" of the role went to Buttons. If you combine the Buttons role with some of the other male supporting characters you might get one full character Gable could have played. Basically Gable's death meant the film went to a "buddy" film with two A-listers to a John Wayne film. In any Wayne film, it always ended up becoming a "Wayne" film. In 1964's "Circus World", David Niven was cast as the second male lead and walked when he realized it was all about Wayne - and was replaced by Lloyd Nolan (of all people). Rod Taylor was also cast as the younger male lead who romances Claudia Cardinale, and walked and was replaced by TV western star, John Smith.

Other casting misses - Ann-Margret turned down the Jane Fonda role in "Cat Ballou" and she tested for "Hello Dolly" (as Irene Molloy), "Ordinary People" (Mary Tyler Moore's role), and was considered for Sharon Tate's role in "Valley of the Dolls". She was also considered for the romantic lead in "The Detective" opposite Sinatra (the one Mia Farrow was fired from and Jackie Bissett got) even though Sinatra was even older than her two "Grumpy Old Men" romantic interests (Matthau/Lemmon).

The female lead in "On the Waterfront" opposite Brando was down to two actresses and Kazan picked Eva Marie Saint (who won the Oscar in her first role). The other contender - Elizabeth Montgomery (a decade before "Bewitched").

Dorothy Dandridge was offered the part of Tuptim in "King and I" and the second female lead in "The Lieutenant Wore Skirts" and refused both on the advice of then lover, Otto Preminger, who thought the roles beneath her after "Carmen Jones". So she was off-screen for years as a result.

Jim Cavaziel was considered for "Superman Returns" (he was also almost Wolverine in "X-Men") and would have made more sense than Brandon Routh. Henry Cavill was also one of the runners-up (he was considered too young at the time). Many actresses were considered for Lois Lane besides Kate Bosworth (who looked like a teenager, not a Pulitzer-prize winning single mom in her 30s who is supposed to be the same character as Margot Kidder) including Kate Beckinsale, Claire Danes, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Evangeline Lilly, Jennifer Lopez, Keri Russell, Catherine Zeta-Jones and....Amy Adams (who went on to play Lois).

Julie Andrews being passed over for her iconic stage role as Eliza Higgins in "My Fair Lady" for a dubbed Audrey Hepburn (though if she had done it, we probably wouldn't have gotten her in "Mary Poppins").

Also, famously (and a source of alt-music-history if it had happened) John Wayne after guesting and seeing 18 year old drummer Karen Carpenter on this show wanted her to be Maddie in "True Grit" and she apparently tested for the part (but didn't get it due to lack of acting experience). She would have had a much different career (and might still be with us) if she had.

Last edited:
Chris Farley was originally going to play Shrek, but he died during production. Mike Myers was cast afterwards, and the whole film needed to be redone.

Billy Crystal also turned down the role of Buzz Lightyear in Toy Story. He would later regret this decision, and he subsequently accepted the role of Mike Wazowski in Monsters, Inc.

Pretty Woman: Michelle Pfeiffer as Vivian Ward and Al Pacino as Edward Lewis.

Also, another idea was to have the movie be much darker than it turned out to be, if i'm not mistaken.

Gods & Generals.

Russell Crowe was supposed to play Thomas Jackson in this prequel to Gettysburg.

Oh wow that would have been...well I dunno. My only enjoyment of that film is Lang's over-the-top portrayal of Stonewall, I wonder if Crowe could even come close to that scenery chewing glory.

Leslie Nielsen wanted the role of Mesala and did a screen test for it. But he lost the part to Stephen Boyd.

I saw a vid of that screen test. He was not bad, but I'm glad Boyd got the role. Similarly, I can't see anyone else other than Heston for Judah, but then I'm an unabashed Heston fanboy :biggrin:

This was a fun little piece I did over on the Pop Culture One shot Scenarios with the effects of a alternate casting for Ben Hur

1959 The Movie Ben Hur is released with Kirk Douglas in the Lead.
1960 The Movie Spartacus is released with Yul Brynner as the Lead from United Artist. The Screenplay is listed as being writing by Sam Jackson.
The film is directed by Anthony Mann.

1968, At long last the Blacklist of the Hollywood Ten ends.

(OTL Kirk Douglas loses the lead in Ben Hur to Heston. He goes over and produces the film Spartacus for Universal. Originally it was to be directed by Anthony Mann but Kubrick took over.
Yul Brynner had been trying to get a Spartacus Film going at United Artist but Douglas and Universal get their version going first. Sam Jackson was at one point going to be the name used by Dalton Trumbo for the Script on Spartacus. I having Trumbo write the Script for United Artist but Brynner not bucking the system on Trumbo behalf as Douglas did . So the Blacklist remains longer.)