MotF 171: A Nation is Born

MotF 171: A Nation is Born
The Challenge
Make a map showing a country or nation at its inception.
The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread.
---
Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Friday, March 2nd, 2018.
---
ALL DISCUSSION ON THE CONTEST OR ITS ENTRIES MUST TAKE PLACE IN THE MAIN THREAD. PLEASE.
Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post.

the_republic_of_barotseland__motf_171__by_kitfisto1997-dc3i89d.png

My first MotF entry! :D

--

POD: The British government honours an alternate version of the 1964 Barotseland Agreement, establishing an independent Barotse state.

Zlp7LI3.jpg

The Kingdom of Florida declared independence on May 1st 1943 after the loss of the Imperialist Compact, of which Spain was a member, in the Eurasian War. While Florida and Puerto Rico, the two overseas possesions of Spain in the Americas, barely saw any fighting, both colonies reacted differently to the war. Anti-war sentiment dominated Puerto Rico, while Florida was filled with patriotic fervor. When Madrid fell to Anglo-French forces and both Danubia and Russia were exhausted from seven years of warfare, the Peace of Geneva was signed in 1943. Spain lost their few remaining colonies in Asia and Africa to the victorious Alliance of Nations and the fate of both Puerto Rico and Florida was up in the air. The island of Puerto Rico, supported by strong republican nations like Mexico, Cuba, and Venezuela, chose independence from Spain and a constitution modelled after the Cuban one. Florida initially wanted to remain with Spain, but the suprise vote in the Spanish parliament which led to the abolishing of the monarchy changed that. Floridian monarchists declared independence from Spain and invited the deposed royal family to come to North America. Infante Jamie Alfonso and his young wife, the Habsburg princess Luisa Sofía, came to San Agustin to become King and Queen of Florida.

Florida is the only monarchy of North America not ruled by the British monarch, and since the 1992 Constitutional Referendum in Brazil the only monarchy in Latin America. Florida has three neighbors, the Republic of Georgia (the southernmost nation which replaced the Thirteen Colonies), the Commonwealth of the Bahamas, and the Republic of Cuba. Relations with Cuba, while initially frosty, have thawed in the last thirty years. Georgia, which for the longest time had negative relations with the Spanish Empire due to Spanish support for the Seminole, have been cordial since Florida's declaration of independence.

Also please excuse any language mistakes, because I don't speak Spanish.

EDIT: Slightly improved the Spanish and had to use a different paper texture because oh genius me deleted the one I originally used already.

Last edited:
Here is my entry for this round of MotF. It takes place in the same universe as my some of the flags and infoboxes I've made.

After the Weltkrieg, The victorious German Empire and it's allies layed out their plans for a new order on the Continent. Belgium was made to comply with every term of the peace treaty. It's holdings in the Congo where incorporated in Mittelafrika. The province of Luxemburg along with parts of Namur and Liege where annexed into the Reich, making the river Meuse the new border. The Kingdom of Belgium was officially abolished and Flanders-Wallonia came in it's place. A new federal state under the hegemony of Germany and the Kaisers third son; Adalbert von Hohenzollern. This was very satisfactory for the now Flemish majority in the country, as their hope was that eventually this would lead to a independent Flemish republic. As the years passed by it was becoming clear that they would remain under nominal German rule. The first flames of discontent where in the industrial regions around Charleroi and Liege. A workers strike was violently crushed by the new government. Inspired by the succes of the French Commune and to a lesser extent the Union of Britain, Syndicalism was taking root in the country. A first Syndicalist congress was held in Brussels to outline a vision of the future. A big part of that vision was the concept of "Heel-Nederlandsyndicalisme" or the concept to unite all of Low Countries into one nation, under the system of Syndicalism. A delegation of the Verband van Eenheidssyndicaten was invited to the Netherlands, who itself was feeling economic distress at the hands of Germany. At this congress a charter of solidarity was signed between the VES and the Dutch Syndicalist movement outlining that both movements would come to each others aid if a revolt broke out. In late 1934 a miners strike was beginning to get out of hand, under VES leadership the workers of Charleroi occupied the city and the surrounding area and proclaimed the Hainaut Workers Republic. Word spread of this successful revolt and soon Antwerp,Ghent,Liege and other industrial centers where in open revolt against the government. The solidarity pact was triggered and the syndicalists in the Netherlands also where going on the streets and revolting. To ensure that this new uprising was not crushed, a small delegation was making it's way to their comrades in Paris and London. When they returned, they came bearing a guarantee of the two nations, offering them protection against German agression. Seeing this the German Empire, who was having problems of it's own and not to keen to fight another long and costly war backed down. Leaving the governments of Flanders-Wallonia and the Netherlands to fend for themselves. As the revolt spread parts of the military started to defect. Brussels and Amsterdam fell in mid 1935. The new Unie van Syndicalistische Raadrepublieken was proclaimed on the steps of the Royal Palace in Brussels.

e0rdz9.jpg

Last edited:
Map produced by the CIA following the US recognition of the Republic of New Afrika in 1987. Although independent in some sense since 1971 and recognized by much of the Soviet bloc for several years, it was not until the '80s, as the total collapse of American power became evident, that non-Communist nations began to recognize it. (Yes, there were black nationalists who actually wanted to rename Mississippi 'Kush' - after the Sudanese kingdom.)

RPRQZPp.png

Last edited:
the_azawaj_federation_by_rubberduck3y6-dc4a6jj.png

The Azawaj Federation
The map shows the Azawaj Federation upon its independence from Britain in 1963. The Federation consists of the three states of West Sudan, Niger and Tineretia which had previously formed the British Central Africa Federation. While each state has its own government (based in Gao, Niamey and Zinder), the country's economic and political heartland is Niger state which is also the most populous state followed by Tineretia and West Sudan.