MotF 163: Making Another Mark on the Map

MotF 163: Making Another Mark on the Map

The Challenge
Make a map showing an artificially created landmass or body of water.

The Restrictions
There are no restrictions on when the PoD of your map should be. Fantasy, sci-fi, and future maps are allowed.

If you're not sure whether your idea meets the criteria of this challenge, please feel free to PM me or comment in the main thread. Sometimes it isn't as clear as I intend it to be.

---
Entries will end for this round when the voting thread is posted on Sunday, August 27th, 2017.
---

ALL DISCUSSION ON ENTRIES MUST TAKE PLACE IN THE MAIN THREAD. PLEASE.

Any discussion must take place in the main thread. If you post anything other than a map entry (or a description accompanying a map entry) in this thread then you will be asked to delete the post.

Remember to vote on the previous MotF round!

australia sea.png

The Red Channel
The 2132 contest on the design of the planned inland sea in Australia was won by a plan for it to be in the shape of the Red Sea. Because of this, it was named the 'The Red Channel'. It created more natural farmland in Australia's interior and lowered global sea levels which caused islands that had long since sunk between the waves. Some terraforming also took place on Australia's north coast in order to create several calm regions in the coastal waters. When the sea was completed in 2199, it created a natural fertile zone in land that was once desert.

Map isn't very refined because i don't have time to finish it and post closer to end date of contest.
So, on map we see megaproject of flooding two large depresions in area similar to Ukraine steppes. First map is "before" state with first notes about project, second show final state of project.
artifical_lakes_by_jeremak_j-dbl4s7h.png