Which Colony Would Be The Most Interesting?

• Portuguese Mexico

Votes: 21 10.2%
  • French Mexico

Votes: 47 22.8%
  • English Mexico

Votes: 42 20.4%
  • French Brazil

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • English Brazil

Votes: 39 18.9%
  • Castilian Brazil

Votes: 13 6.3%
  • Danish Canada

Votes: 48 23.3%
  • Danish East Coast

Votes: 43 20.9%
  • French East Coast

Votes: 28 13.6%
  • Danish Colombia

Votes: 21 10.2%
  • English Colombia

Votes: 18 8.7%
  • French Colombia

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Portuguese Colombia

Votes: 5 2.4%
  • Castilian east coast

Votes: 6 2.9%
  • Castilian canada

Votes: 7 3.4%

• Total voters
I'm thinking of doing a TL which, due to a POD in the Castilian War of Succession, creates very different colonies. I have a few ideas but want to know what you guys think?

I had imagined the French succeeding in converting the Aztecs to Catholicism and in time the region would have become a "French Raj with Amerindians" with many principalities and many lands controlled by French companies.

1) I'ma ditto the French Mesoamerica/Mexico option for the same reason as @Comte de Dordogne although I don't see them necessarily dominating the whole Caribbean (I can still see at least some Spanish territory on part or all of Hispaniola, FREX). As an addendum, I can still see western South America/the Incas either getting under Spanish control, or resisting long enough to avoid OTL-esque colonization
2) Thank you for not assuming English eschewment of a colony in the tropics! I could see either Mexico or Brazil as an option (especially, though not necessarily, given a Portugal screw), went with the latter since I'm already working the former in on the AH story in my sig
3) Tempting as a Danish Canada is, I'm also a fan of dodging AH colonial-era tropes if possible. If colonization by different countries gets pushed further south than OTL, why not have the Danes hit the Eastern Seaboard at that point? It's not that much farther to go from Newfoundland to Long Island, for instance.

EDIT: Added some clarification.

Last edited:
2) Thank you for not assuming English eschewment of a colony in the tropics! I could see either Mexico or Brazil as an option (given a Portugal screw), went with the latter since I'm already working the former in on the AH story in my sig
3) Tempting as a Danish Canada is, I'm also a fan of dodging AH colonial-era tropes if possible. If colonization by different countries gets pushed further south than OTL, why not have the Danes hit the Eastern Seaboard at that point?
Honestly the fact that England/Britain didn't have a significant colony in the New World Tropics was always weird to me. Like they went to war with spain countless times during the period and they only took a few islands and Guiana?

Admittedly I think most of Canada would wind up colonized by whoever claims most of otl's new england/great lakes, hence why Danish East Coast is a thing, when I don't have an actual option for just Canada

Edit: apparently I do. Whoops.

Last edited:
Honestly the fact that England/Britain didn't have a significant colony in the New World Tropics was always weird to me. Like they went to war with spain countless times during the period and they only took a few islands and Guiana?

They controlled Cuba (and Florida) for awhile.

Admittedly I think most of Canada would wind up colonized by whoever claims most of otl's new england/great lakes, hence why Danish East Coast is a thing, when I don't have an actual option for just Canada

1) I blame the War of the Roses and the Tudors' lack of interest in such ventures, personally. I talked the differences over with @Skallagrim at one point WRT how a Lancastrian England might act (for one thing, probably earlier achievement of peace in England that way, and thus stability), which might be just one avenue of change in this regard. Or, just a different monarch even in the same House could do it, this was the era where a royal or noble could get a wild hair up their a$* and make such projects stick.

2) I think that, much like how Cuba is the key to Mexican colonization/influence, the Saint Lawrence waterway is the key to Canada since it's the easiest route of access (what with maritime/riverine travel being less costly in many ways than overland at that time).

Skallagrim

Banned
French Mexico, English Brazil and Danish Canada are really interesting. (Danish East Coast also works, but Danish Canada would probably work out better, creating a sort of "North Atlantic Empire", along with Iceland and Greenland.)

The islands were more valued than the mainland, I think. The sugar trade was huge back then.

The islands were more valued than the mainland, I think. The sugar trade was huge back then.
Yeah but you'd think that they would want the yucatan (I assume it has a similar climate to cuba), especially with Belize being so small and vulnerable to a land assault

Yeah but you'd think that they would want the yucatan (I assume it has a similar climate to cuba), especially with Belize being so small and vulnerable to a land assault

I don't know about that. It's heavily forested, isn't it? Rainforests are notorious for poor soil quality as I understand it, so even when they're cut down for agriculture it seems like ranching is more popular than farming. That seems borne out by the pre-tourism economy in the state centered on logging, cattle and rubber. I suspect they wouldn't be able to grow much sugar.

German/Danish Carolina? The land doesn't have any really valuable resources like the West Indies sugar plantations until tobacco planting (I think), so I don't think anyone is coming to take it.

Last edited:

English colonization IOTL was relatively late compared to Spain or Portugal, so there's also the fact that they had to swipe 'low-hanging fruit' like Jamaica or the Miskito Coast if they wanted a shot at a sugarcane colony; the small island holdings of OTL reflect that necessity.

The Yucatan is similar enough to Cuba in many ways, but the latter is less heavily forested and has better soil quality for crops (not to mention lots of it compared to the smaller islands).

German/Danish Carolina? The land doesn't have any really valuable resources like the West Indies sugar plantations until tobacco planting (I think), so I don't think anyone is coming to take it.
Actually a bit more South, Savanna- yes, it's in Georgia, but so far to the North that it literally touches the border with South Carolina - anyway, Savanna (GA) barely existed as a city when it got a growt spurt through massive immigration from Tirolean Calvinists, who ended up on the wrong side of politics in the new 100% Catholic Austria/Holy Roman Empire. In this timeline, the Southeast was already firmly English by that time, and the Austrians just blended in rather then moving on to start their own country. But in a somewhat different timeline, you could have Calvinist Austrians, Àustro-Germans and Germans as well carve out their own Proudly-in-the-name-of-the-motherland-as-long -as-it-doesn't-meddle-in-our-personal-ligestyle Austian or German colony either to the North, South or East of Savanna.
ar-enough-from our

It if was feasible would be have been interesting seeing an English/British Panama and Venezuela (the latter possibly including a part of Colombia) in place of Belize and British Guiana (at least in terms of profitable colonies), with the Dutch dominating the Guianas (north of the Amazon and Negro Rivers as well as east of the Orinoco River).

Last edited:
It if was feasible would be have been interesting seeing an English Panama and Venezuela (the latter possibly including a part of Colombia) in place of Belize and British Guiana (at least in terms of profitable colonies), with the Dutch dominating the Guianas (north of the Amazon and Negro Rivers as well as east of the Orinoco River).
Very Hard, Spaniards repelled the british attempt with natural ease at times

Very Hard, Spaniards repelled the british attempt with natural ease at times
Part of the planned butterflies is that the Castilians start exploring a bit late, so if Britain isable to get going earlier, they could get there before Castile

Part of the planned butterflies is that the Castilians start exploring a bit late, so if Britain isable to get going earlier, they could get there before Castile
at that point was spain already not castille, still dunno. a better POD would be other actors or not colonies at all

This is very much an ideas thread, so if you guys have any other ideas you think would be interesting, don't be afraid to mention them. I put regions and colonizers that were largely from otl (except Denmark. that one just sounds fun), just shuffled around, but OTL's arrangement isn't inevitable- maybe France conquers the Yucatan and England settles the Rio Grande (Great River?) and both are long term successes.