Most excessive religious dietary restriction that could be widely followed?

Interestingly, Jews historically didn't keep proper kosher.
That article doesn't know what it is talking about. There is a mention of a mikveh concerning King David. What do you think Bathsheva was doing.

That and the prophets verses the mishnah are two completely different books. This also supports the documentary hypothesis which is psuedo science made by people who can't read Hebrew and don't know what they are talking about.

Also aren't the prophets spending a great deal of time yelping about people not following the Torah? I don't see how this is the support for the documentary hypothesis that the author seems to think.

I don't think that religion with Jainist dietary could spread very wide. Vegetarianism is in ridicolous level, even further than on Hinduism or Buddhism. They don't even allow eating of whatever plants. Such dietary would be really hard to follow.
One thing to keep in mind is that we are not talking about the vegetarianism of the monks and nuns but of the lay people which is strict, yes but much less strict then the image people get from looking at the monks and nuns. When it comes to the micro organisms and what not a lot of that is kept by the monastics over laity. at least this is my understanding of jain diets.

Both Kosher and Halal are a really good place to start. Add in two of these three: fowl, beef, lamb, thereby leaving only fish that swim and the other meat, along with wild game, and you have reached a restrictive diet that can still be followed, even in a culture that is limited to mainly amimal protien for at least part of the year. You have be careful once it comes down to grains and vegetables, knock the wrong ones and you wind up will all sort of deficiencies related diseases, but limiting to only a couple types of grain is a possibility.

In all honesty, even wild game is basically outlawed in kashrut. Deer and antelope are kosher animals, but combining kosher slaughter and hunting is basically impossible. Farm raised venison is fine though.

I don't think that religion with Jainist dietary could spread very wide. Vegetarianism is in ridicolous level, even further than on Hinduism or Buddhism. They don't even allow eating of whatever plants. Such dietary would be really hard to follow.

Funnily that no one hasn't yet mentioned Islam. Yes, it is pretty widely spred but it has too quiet strict dietary orders altough not sure if these are as strict as on Judaism.

And even some Chrisitan branches have some dietary orders. Like IIRC Ethiopian Orthodoxes don't eat pig and Mormons not allow to drink coffee or tea.
Kosher law is much more strict than Islamic dietary law.