Most ASB event that happened in OTL

Discussion in 'Alternate History Discussion: Before 1900' started by Koprulu Mustafa Pasha, Dec 14, 2018.

1. funnyhat Well-Known Member

It can't be over-stressed just how horrible the first war was. France had six million casualties in a population of 40 million - 15 % of the population. Imagine today's USA having 50 million casualties in four years. How many people would want another war after that?

Not to mention that basically all the towns along the north-east border had been destroyed. A century later farmers still find unexploded ordnance.

It was tragic that Hitler exploited the reluctance of everyone else to fight again, but that reluctance itself was quite understandable.

Leede, Hohensaufen, NAF and 5 others like this.
  2. Viralworld Éirí Amach an Ghealach Donor

Probably the most ASB development in modern times

3. EWilanO Well-Known Member

Some Georgian Priest becoming a literally mustache twirling Dictator that liked the medieval remedy of purging in order to improve his humors.

The founding of the German Empire by celebrating it... Inside the palace of the enemy they had just defeated.

A family squabble of the family ruling most of Europe leading to millions of deaths.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Leede, NAF, comrade cat and 10 others like this.
  4. Byzantine fanatic Scholar of the West and East

That the Aztecs appeased their gods with hearts torn from the chests of their enemies, atop giant pyramids. That was pretty ASB.

NAF, unclepatrick and UnaiB like this.
  5. AkulaKursk Well-Known Member

The Khemer Rouge killing anyone that could read in a perverted communistic revolution.

Leede, NAF, comrade cat and 3 others like this.
  6. cmakk1012 Well-Known Member

The aversion of nuclear apocalypse during the Cold War, especially when it came down to one soldier’s snap decision on at least one occasion, was pretty unlikely.

Leede, Hohensaufen, NAF and 8 others like this.
  7. ShortsBelfast Events, dear boy, events

Human sacrifice appears to be pretty mainstream at a certain level of cultural development. Inca and Maya followed the same practice and it was apparently common in bronze age cultures. Phoenicia and Carthage may have continued the practice well into the Iron Age.

Leede and UnaiB like this.
  8. Byzantion Well-Known Member

That Mesoamericans cultures missed the fact, that round things are good for moving things.

9. ArchimedesCircle Radical Groucho-Marxist

Sure, if you live in a flat area or have draft animals to pull for you. They're less effective in jungles, hills and the Andes Mountains.

Arovovo, Leede, NAF and 2 others like this.
  10. EWilanO Well-Known Member

They had wheels in the Himalayas, so I don't think mountainous terrain is that good an argument.

Leede, Hohensaufen, NAF and 1 other person like this.
  11. Remitonov Yousoro~! :3

Oh my god, where to start... Alexander the Great, the rise of Rome, Eastern Rome limping through in agony for the latter half of its 14 centuries, Mongols, Meiji Japan... And that's pre-1900s

Ah yes, the bizarre victory of Prussia over Russia where the Tsardom is taken over by a Prussoboo who proceeds to throw away all potential gains and indemnities to his empire to please his senpai.

Leede, Hohensaufen, NAF and 3 others like this.
  12. CaekDaemon The Dragon Commander Donor

Borrowing a post of mine from the "what's the stupidest thing a nation has ever done" thread from Chat from last year, but boy oh boy, if the Battle of Flodden happened in a timeline...

...people would be screaming that the Scots were handed an idiot ball or something :p

Leede, NAF, Historyman 14 and 4 others like this.
  13. Byzantine fanatic Scholar of the West and East

I wouldn't say they were "limping in agony" from 750 to 1453. I think the empire was doing ok up to 1071. Even in the 12th century they were not done yet, and probably could have recovered.

The real end was the collapse of the Komnenian system at the end of the 12th century and the decline into the Fourth Crusade of 1204.

After that I think limping in agony becomes more apt.

Leede, ByzantineCaesar, NAF and 4 others like this.
  14. Stahlheim Prussian Junkers For Clinton

Actually, given the degree to which the US is a superpower, it is mildly ASB they haven't expanded even more, especially in the Americas where they are still smaller than Canada geographically. Particularly odd are areas like the Baja peninsula and especially Cuba given how long American ambitions existed towards that island.

15. Lalli Well-Known Member

Even more ASB is that USA expanded lesser than in one century only just from coastal British colonies to Pacific Ocean. And another thing is surviving communist Cuba.

Leede and comrade cat like this.
  16. ToolboxHD Well-Known Member

British Raj, it just so happened so coincedentally an industrial revolution bringing enormous military advances was happening alongside a massive empire decaying, not to mention how the British played the Indians off each other and divided and conquer.

No one 300 years earlier would have expected an island with less than 10 million population would come to dominate an entire subcontinent of hundreds of millions of people.

NAF, iani and UCB79 like this.
  17. ToolboxHD Well-Known Member

Well the United States doesn’t really have much of an economic incentive in expanding it’s territory in the Americas, its perfectly content installing puppet rulers and a sattelite like relationship.

Not really that ASB, but it’s kind of shocking how there isn’t atleast 1 Asian colonial empire. I guess they just didn’t have the incentive to explore, find new trade routes and colonize like the Europeans did.

Joesdd likes this.
  18. Hegemon of words and thoughts

The natural disasters that hit the Eastern Roman Empire in the 6th century, including plague, earthquakes, tsunami, more plague, perhaps meteors and volcanoes causing cold and famine, etc. etc. I know if I lived at that time, I’d be convinced God was bringing about the end of the world.

Leede, Hohensaufen, NAF and 4 others like this.
  19. Captain Seafort Well-Known Member

There have been at least two - one got dismantled in 1945, the other is still going and recently became the biggest economy in the world.

Leede, NAF, comrade cat and 2 others like this.
  20. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

Really puts the civil in civil war doesn't it?!

Leede, oberdada and ShortsBelfast like this.