More Successful Frederick II

Long time lurker first time blah blah.

I'd like to make a TL about Fred II (The Stupor Mundi) having more success during the final period of his reign, and possibly a few long term consequences. I'm sure this is a silly WI that comes up from time to time, but that nutty guy never ceases to fascinate me.

Any thoughts on what could happen?

Welcome to the board.

Don't really remember this having been done - but perhaps.

If you'd let us in on the more specific final part of Freds rule we might be able supply.
The Holy Land?
Relations with the Pope?
Relations internally of the Empire?

I did use more successful Frederick II as a part of Unholy Roman Empire TL, but it did have a POD starting with Barbarossa's survival and subsequent victory of the Third Crusade, so technically Frederick was not as much the POD as a consequence. It resulted in some attempts at centralization, and, down the line, much worse rivalry between the Hohenstaufens (longer-lasting here) and the Papacy, leading to a different (and very militant) reformation in the XVIth century.

I think the long-running, but now over, Prince of Peace TL had something like this as its POD. It was an absolutely excellent TL, not sure if its up here, but is definitely in the old Google group.

I think the long-running, but now over, Prince of Peace TL had something like this as its POD. It was an absolutely excellent TL, not sure if its up here, but is definitely in the old Google group.
Indeed it is on here. IIRC, it uses a longer-liver Henry, which leads to a more successful Frederick.

Faeelin

Banned

It's up here.

anyway, I think it's hard to say. The battle is portrayed as some sort of hagiographical battle between the Pope and Emperor in a struggle for the soul of Europe, but IMO you need an earlier POD for that. The best you get is an Empire centered in Italy, with loose overlordship of those northern barbarians.