More likely empire to survive to present day?

More likely to survive?

• Ottomans

Votes: 35 53.8%
  • Austria-Hungary

Votes: 30 46.2%

• Total voters
Which empire do you think would have been more likely to survive to the Present day, assuming a POD around the turn of the century: the Ottoman Empire or the Austria-Hungarian Empire?

Pretty equal both had the same issues tbh multiple minorities that wanted representation and bordered by other empires and kingdoms that wanted chunks out of them

The ottomans were on the periphery of European affairs by this point, and were sitting on what is best described as an enormous pile of oil. That is, if they can make it to the 30s, a winning situation, even with the arab revolt (which I think is much less likely to work without Turkey getting in ww1.) The Austrians are at best, sitting on a region in between two to three other great powers with much more impactful internal divisions

Both had quiet good chances altough them had their own problems and needed reforms. But if CPs win the Great War, rtherly by 1916/1917 both have good chances if they just commit right reforms.

The Ottoman Empire was more likely to survive IMO. The states in the Middle East today are pretty diverse. If the Ottomans stay out of WW1, they can keep most of their empire together IMO.

The Ottoman Empire was more likely to survive IMO. The states in the Middle East today are pretty diverse. If the Ottomans stay out of WW1, they can keep most of their empire together IMO.

Or then CPs win the Great War. Thaqt might help A-H survive too.

Or then CPs win the Great War. Thaqt might help A-H survive too.
Maybe, but I think they'd need much more reforms. They'd have to offer their ethnic minorities greater representation... even if it's still under Hapsburg rule. From what I've read they were moving towards that before 1914.

Austria-Hungary, no contest. Quite frankly, suggesting anything else is borderline ridiculous. On the one hand you have a prosperous, stable and rich country that has just had its take-off on the industrial level and on the other you have a deeply indebted, unstable and poor country.

It is a myth and frankly utter bullshit that these two are even close to be comparable.

I think Austria-Hungary, because if it had had good leadership, it could have reformed itself into a stable, multi-ethnic union of nations under the Habsburgs. But... It didn't have that kind of leadership, but... the potential was there.