More Germans for SW Africa

POD c. 1900: Kaiser Wilhelm, in one of his bursts of enthusiasm, declares that German South-West Africa! is the land of the future! The Kaiser's interest will wane in a few years, but by that time Germany has thrown roughly half a battleship's worth of cash at the distant colony.

This being Africa, a little goes a long way. Rail is laid, ports are improved, plantations are surveyed -- and a nice incentive package leads to an uptick in colonization. More German settlers flow in, as do a few British, Boers, and Portuguese.

Result: by 1914, the number of white settlers is roughly double what it was iOTL. Instead of around 12,000 Germans and another couple of thousand non-Germans, there are almost 30,000 whites, of whom almost 25,000 are Germans. Since the colony's total population is around 200,000, this means it's around 15% white (as opposed to OTL, where the figure was about half that, dropping a bit lower after 1918).

We'll assume the colony's unfortunate history of native relations is much the same as iOTL.

So, questions.

1) OTL the Germans were able to put up nearly a year of resistance in 1914-15, but in the end they were doomed. TTL, they can deploy another couple of thousand armed men. Does this make any difference?

2) OTL, a fair number of Germans left after 1918 -- some to Germany, some to South Africa or elsewhere. Under the British, the colony went into relative economic decline. TTL, I think a higher proportion of Germans would stay -- there will be bigger towns, more infrastructure, and more Germans around. So the colony will probably stay ~12%-14% white for the foreseeable future (as opposed to OTL, where it was more like 5%-6%).

How does this affect the interwar period? OTL, South Africa wanted to annex Namibia. Does the higher number of whites make this more or less likely?

Thoughts?

Doug M.

Anaxagoras

Banned
POD c. 1900: Kaiser Wilhelm, in one of his bursts of enthusiasm, declares that German South-West Africa! is the land of the future! The Kaiser's interest will wane in a few years, but by that time Germany has thrown roughly half a battleship's worth of cash at the distant colony.

He pretty much did this IOTL, if I am not mistaken.

The resistance could maybe last for longer, but the overall result would be no different.

Also, SA would still want to annex the area I think.

I don't think there would be much difference in the long run.

However, maybe make the colony a continued area for German immigration after 1918, and perhaps get a bigger German population. Then WWII comes along, and SA has the problem of 50 000 whites (more or less) who are ethnic brethren of the people who are wreaking havoc in Europe. Maybe these German Namibians are keen on giving the Empire a bloody nose by attacking South African installations etc.

Wouldn't chage much in the war overall, but could make it slightly more interesting.

Last edited:
I doubt if you could do much to help the colonies resist much longer in 1914.

But German colonies were heading for a period of solid population growth if it wasn't for World War 1. The Germans had already invested in railways and infastructure in the various colonies and some like Togo (and Samoa?) had already become break even money wise. Diamonds had been discovered in South West Africa.

Native revolts had already suppresed in brutal style and the German had no problem displacing people to clear out room for the whites.

The advent of air conditioning beginning in the 20s would make it possible for more people to live in these hot places. Regular airship service to these place might have been possible starting in the 20s too. Submarines were increasing in size and range as well which would allows some critical supply / communication in time of war for Germany.

If WW1 had been delayed 20 years these places might have had enough population that they would have been able to resist invasion much more successfully with their own resources with the possibility of a little more help from the outside.

I suppose Namibian Black German might retain itself as a language. But how would the Germans in South West Africa be treated by the Afrikaners?