More advanced pacific northwest civillation

Probably because it's a subject I'm interested in, and curious to know how I might be wrong. I'll note that I've learned at least as much on this site as I did completing a history degree (even considering all the books I read), and my professors were some very smart people too. Really, it's similar to the endless discussion on the American Civil War and the World Wars in parts of this site albeit a very niche subject. Personally, I don't recall discussing Alaskan farming more than 2 or 3 times in the past, and at least once it was in the context of Japanese colonisation which is different than OTL's subsidy-driven Alaskan farming. And 20th century Anglo farming vs. Meiji/alt-Japanese farming vs. indigenous farming are three different subjects.

Otherwise, the climate doesn't seem too different between Fairbanks and Delta, at least not compared to other agricultural regions. And a 20th century Anglo farmer has different concerns from an indigenous group which is farming for extra calories. A map of USDA soil types shows the two places have similar soil types.

We know lifestyle changes in indigenous America occurred, so if the coastal Alaskans have potato farming, I could see it potentially spreading inland and correspondingly resulting in a population expansion. Since you'd be tending potatoes for the 3-4 months of growing season, you wouldn't be able to hunt caribou as efficiently, which perhaps would mean you'd want to corral them more and maybe eventually domesticate them with all that entails. The expansion of agriculture happened like this in the northeastern United States/Maritimes, so it could happen in Alaska in a place like the Tanana Valley which is at the edge of potential land for farming.

It really isn't fair to call these alt-Indians a "more advanced" civilisation, but it's a civilisation which would likely be greater in numbers, even after the inevitable mass death from disease. No, it won't be "Tenochtitlan on the Yukon", but it would be more important than OTL.

I mean, if that's the analogy you're going for "more developed Alaska" is basically the Seelowe of geographic AH. I think contemporary Alaska is pretty close to being a best-case scenario for a whole host of reasons.

Again, the northern part of the Atlantic seaboard is nothing like Alaska in terms of climate or the lifestyle of indigenous people. Yes, potatoes would be good for indigenous people in Maine or New Brunswick. They would not be in the Tanana. The very short season in which you might be able to grow a modern potato optimized for short seasons is also the season in which people are doing a lot of other hunting and foraging. Adopting the potato would be a huge step there compared to the coastal Northwest, where lots of potato strains could grow fine and people were sedentary and cultivating root crops anyway.

It’s often suggested in these threads that the potato was essential to a PNW agricultural civilization, however I think corn is being overlooked here. Globally corn is far more important than potato, the only exception is northern Europe, which is probably the cause of this potato bias.

In South America the Incas ate as much corn as potato and today the continent grows more corn. Even in the PNW they grow about as much corn as potato. The fact that Idaho plants potato instead of corn probably has to do with corn competition from the northern Midwest states, without which they would probably choose to grow corn as well.

Cultivating corn strains for the cool climate of the PNW is far and away more plausible than seafaring South Americans traveling 5,000 miles to introduce potatoes.