Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

i think we are giving an unfair view of the the Abbasids here, Bataids have done great achievements themselves they took Constantinople and expanded a great empire defeating multiple great powers with ease. So what you turned a bunch of jinn worshippers into discount muslims they turned the learned greeks into proper muslims. Also Bataids can still play the they discovered on those heretical civiliations from the holy books they should have been purged etc instead playing the success of the conversion. Muslim heart land is still mostly controlled by them.

I was looking at the last map and was wondering if you have any plans for posts from the point of view of some of the minor powers in the east, like Warsheikh, Kilwa, or Nimanni?

I was looking at the last map and was wondering if you have any plans for posts from the point of view of some of the minor powers in the east, like Warsheikh, Kilwa, or Nimanni?
I've been thinking on Somalia some. This world will certainly portend good things for it, but the shape it will take is somewhat unclear right now. I don't know if Warsheikh will always be the centre of Somali prosperity.

i think we are giving an unfair view of the the Abbasids here, Bataids have done great achievements themselves they took Constantinople and expanded a great empire defeating multiple great powers with ease. So what you turned a bunch of jinn worshippers into discount muslims they turned the learned greeks into proper muslims. Also Bataids can still play the they discovered on those heretical civiliations from the holy books they should have been purged etc instead playing the success of the conversion. Muslim heart land is still mostly controlled by them.
The problem with the Abbasids is that they can't exactly claim that they brought the long fabled Roman Empire of old to heel since they weren't the ones that took over Constantinople, even if Rhomania is Muslim. In fact, a Christian took over Constantinople (Bouchras was it...?) first. Regardless, many people inside and outside of Islam view the Bataids as Turkmen (they're not fully Greek but Patzinak), and there's few reasons that anyone could change that (Of course, modern historiography could view the Bataids as a legit continuation of the Roman Empire in the future, but contemporaries don't think of the Romans very highly atm.) Worse still, the Abbasids are pretty explicit puppets of the Romans themselves thanks to the Bataids and their power play a century ago so everyone inside their own realm views them as illegitimate.

Spreading Eastern Islam is a major challenge when their surroundings are already known and even Muslim (Either Sunni or Shia, and I don't think there's enough justification to cruelly force convert the Hilalians or their native Shia population without the existence of something like the Safavids, although it's always a possibility in the coming centuries, sadly). Hindustan and Nusantara also poses a problem with the dominance of the Asmarids and other Western Islamic nations in the Indian Ocean. Central Asia is extremely slow unless the Bataids border it through annexation of Persia. The only way I can see Islam expand sans the Umayyads right now is Christian Europe itself like Hungary, Sicily, or Meridiana.
---
So I'm gonna throw y'all a curveball.

The amount of worldbuilding I've done for Moonlight is pretty exhaustive, and it's occurred to me that it's easy to forget names and locations and other key things that I drop in a chapter and then whisk on past. There are so many little details that have piled up over the course of the timeline that I've been thinking about a way to reference and compile them all. (Honestly the one that's recurred most for me is Papal numbering: I've had to maintain a list behind the scenes.)

Simple question here: Would y'all be interested in a Moonlight wiki of some kind?

HECK YES.

Last edited:
You lacked the V at the end, i was wondering what PO means

Clearly they're asking for a scene of the modern day MiaJ world of the Bataid's future descendant turned Alt!Youtuber asking people to send their fan mail to their Post Office box. /joke

A POV of the Bataids / Romans is surely needed in the future, since we haven't seen any accounts of people in Eastern Islam besides major figures in the historical record. It'll probably happen since they're going to be the main focus whenever Hungary, Meridiana, Egypt, or Persia are involved. Even the conflict in the Indian Ocean could be a source of a Bataid POV since there could be incentive in keeping the Somalis in Zeila/Warsheikh loyal to the Abbasids and bring them strictly in the Roman sphere.

I still believe that a ruler similar to Justinian or Suleiman the Magnificent could be extremely likely in this period: a man greater than Al-Mansour driven by immense ambition to reunite the Roman Empire once more and conquer the world under the light of Islam. A pretty scary sight for Christian Europe or even the peoples of Western Islam.

Still, the Romans and the other peoples in Eastern Islam are also major contributors of the Blossoming, no doubt. The Bataids probably hold a more prosperous and urbanized realm than the OTL Ottomans, due to no Mongols and a more Hellenized state spurring city development. Cities like Thessaloniki, Constantinople, Iconium, Antioch, Damascus, Baghdad, and Basra are probably still centers of scientific and cultural development post Plague, perhaps even moreso than Isbili or Sale, combining both existing Greco-Roman knowledge from Antiquity and the ERE, in addition to the massive centers of knowledge that exist in Islam and the polymaths that follow (The House of Wisdom is still intact in this timeline, most excitedly of all).

Even if their scientific and cultural developments aren't as respected, their military is still extremely terrifying, possibly the best army in the world besides Wu China, and they gotta swing those tagmatas somewhere....

EDIT: I think we're forgetting some of the most important people in the timeline.... Iqal, Feyik, and Dr. Mirza. I hope that we can get a section on them and Dr. Mirza's class in the future since glimpses of Modern MiaJ are so fun to read about.

EDIT #2: Looking up on general information about Baghdad, Basra, and Mesopotamia/Iraq in general is that without the Sack of Baghdad, we've seriously managed to spare a lot of the destruction on the irrigation networks and overall urban infrastructure of the region, including the House of Wisdom and the other libraries in Baghdad. This definitely means that Iraq should be a lot more urbanized and less pastoral as said before, similar to North Africa in MiaJ without the Banu Hilal. The addition of the Romans probably doesn't hurt the development of Baghdad too. While Baghdad and Basra are probably not at their zenith due to the shifting of trade towards those facing the Atlas, they're well off compared to their diminished selves in OTL.

I thought that the old Round City of Baghdad was spared as well, but apparently it was destroyed or severely damaged before the POD. Still, a rebuilt and bigger Baghdad is obviously better than one severely sacked and decimated.

Last edited:
Ængland.png

took another crack at an anglish CoA

Last edited:
I still believe that a ruler similar to Justinian or Suleiman the Magnificent could be extremely likely in this period: a man greater than Al-Mansour driven by immense ambition to reunite the Roman Empire once more and conquer the world under the light of Islam. A pretty scary sight for Christian Europe or even the peoples of Western Islam.
They still need to get the Roman/Italian peninsula and Beat Romania....

They still need to get the Roman/Italian peninsula and Beat Romania....
Or go through africa not that hard. Or build a fleet, merchant republics would be supportive breaking Andalusian naval power and greeks know how to build a boat, they took krete and cyprus they can island hope to andalusia.

Or go through africa not that hard. Or build a fleet, merchant republics would be supportive breaking Andalusian naval power and greeks know how to build a boat, they took krete and cyprus they can island hope to andalusia.
But they're the roman empire, they can't be that one without the first one or a pretender calling himself rome.

https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/mof-16-the-caliphate-of-rûm.158514/#post-3406587 Maybe this could be Bataid dream?