Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

Somebody get these people some dental hygiene, at this rate microbes are going to be observed for the first time in someone's nasty gums
Muslim already have datun/miswak, if anything there would be a push for artificial datun/miswak now https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miswak

eep breath* okay. We take the "pastillage" permanent sugar cement. And then we make Moroccan style tiles out of them. And make a whole room. Out of sugar.
I think they might export the otomi ball sports so all those hyperactive children have something to burn energy

deep breath* okay. We take the "pastillage" permanent sugar cement from the first article. And then we make Moroccan style tiles out of them. And make a whole room. Out of sugar. And then some other guy goes "I can do better" and builds a sugar house. Repeat until we get the Prince of Pondichery chocolate c
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gingerbread_house but with sugar? that would be a post fitr tradition

Last edited:
Yeah, it's going to be a lot of honey and sugar beets in Europe.
Sugar beets haven't even been invented yet. The variety was developed during the Early Modern Period within Prussia. Although, it could be an interesting thing to develop for a Danish/German person ITTL for ACT X. The need to dump the Andalusian yoke from the sugar market is quite high and maple syrup/honey is not going to cut it.

(I wonder-- could Romania introduce/scale up sugar production in Southern Italy/Sicily itself?)
No. Meridiana lacks the climate for sugar cane, so Vaceu is the only way that Romania can realistically produce sugar.

Somebody get these people some dental hygiene, at this rate microbes are going to be observed for the first time in someone's nasty gums
Diabetes is already a common occurrence among the Asmarid elite, which is honestly worse. Insulin is gonna be a bitch to get even with industrial advances since a substantial amount of insulin was produced from pigs.

End result: French/German food that's either standard medieval fare... or just way too peppery. They're just crunching down on whole anise seeds and pretending to like the taste.
Medieval food was rather strange. I expect the same thing from OTL, especially with the introduction of Algarvian plants into Europe.

No. Meridiana lacks the climate for sugar cane, so Vaceu is the only way that Romania can realistically produce sugar.
Be a shame if they lose it. If they did they might still get it back. But like France giving up New France for Guadeloupe, who knows what they'd give away in exchange...

A note on Australia before I forget-- OTL Makassarese and other Sulawesians regularly traveled to Australia to trade for trepang or sea cucumbers for the Malay and Chinese market. They also apparently planted tamarind trees, but I wonder if some of those aren't from seeds that were carried by birds or something.

Big Wu demand + more and better Janggala ships probably means they chart out Australia very early on [I can't imagine anyone else beating them to it], and find the Maori while they still have seafaring skills and the moa around (but probably less experience in fortification and war). Northern Australia, the area around Queensland especially, is more tropical. Australia is currently the second largest raw sugar exporter in the world, and produces a lot of fruit out of the same area.

But southern Australia or New Zealand... the climate may not be right for an SEA way of life, it's more like the temperate Northern India or China. Less rice, more wheat and barley-- even corn and soy arent as big here. There may be a century or more where the Janggala have Australia fully figured out but don't know what to do with it, so they're just taking suggestions from various Asian settlement-society corporations developed out of existing migrant networks. Or if there's some ecological niche in the Malay world (or elsewhere in SEA) whose way of life can be transferred to big parts of Australia, expect them to be overrepresented accordingly among the settlers. Even if they assimilate to some other norm, they'll leave their mark on place names and other customs. Distance from Asia may lead to broad autonomy down here as well.

Japan might still be interested in the Americas but unless they strike gold (even then, the result might not be "gold rush" but a penal colony in the snow) their presence will be as marginal as the Russians' or less, sufficient to run the fur trade to China and "strike gold" that way. Or trade in Northwest Coast Native manufactures, argillite carvings and such. Other than that, Australia will probably be Asia's first and greatest "New World". Ecology preservation will be trial and a lot of errors. Same as OTL, but probably worse I the long run.

Last edited:
Luckily this has a higher chance of occurring than OTL. Assuming that the coastal African kingdoms like NiKongo and Simala modernize their states accordingly with the Industrial Age due to trade. However, this will probably reinforce the Muslim/Christian vs. Pagan divide even more, as African rulers or peoples believe that Islam or other non-pagan religions are the only way that they can be considered "civilized". As for those outside those beliefs like the Dogon, Akan, Fon, or the Pygmies, expect them to receive even harsher persecution or even forced conversions as a result. It could even be bolstered by newfound medicines and technology from the Industrial Revolution as groups like the Mande, Serer, Fulani, etc. penetrate even deeper into their territories.
Another interesting point - in Ethiopia there was racism towards the southern peoples. Primarily on the basis of religion, but it also extended to skin color - Oromomo, Kikuyu and others were considered "black savages".

not something from the christian world it's something that is shown in many cultures around the world, you will find it in korea or china for example with white skin being seen positively (people with money don't need to work in the sun and with that don't have the darker skin). your argument is basically that racism is prohibited in the book, bilbia prohibits murder and christians do it anyway
(Besides, taking care of the purity of Pale Skin is much easier)

One Thousand and One Nights were possibly a mix of old Indian and Persian literature, the main character are mostly Sassanids stock. About 700 stories were added by French and other orientalist translators. Or stolen from Maronite authors. It's actually weird that you wanted to use those "collection" as the benchmark of standard that reflecting the condition and mores of again...diverse muslim population in historical world.
In fact, the Golden Age of Islamic culture is largely based on Persian authors and thinkers (including the pre-Islamic heritage of Messopathamia (on which Persian culture was also based) is key - as for the Roman, the Hellenic heritage played a huge role). And yet we have many other sources describing racism in the Arab world.

Be a shame if they lose it. If they did they might still get it back. But like France giving up New France for Guadeloupe, who knows what they'd give away in exchange...

A note on Australia before I forget-- OTL Makassarese and other Sulawesians regularly traveled to Australia to trade for trepang or sea cucumbers for the Malay and Chinese market. They also apparently planted tamarind trees, but I wonder if some of those aren't from seeds that were carried by birds or something.

Big Wu demand + more and better Janggala ships probably means they chart out Australia very early on [I can't imagine anyone else beating them to it], and find the Maori while they still have seafaring skills and the moa around (but probably less experience in fortification and war). Northern Australia, the area around Queensland especially, is more tropical. Australia is currently the second largest raw sugar exporter in the world, and produces a lot of fruit out of the same area.

But southern Australia or New Zealand... the climate may not be right for an SEA way of life, it's more like the temperate Northern India or China. Less rice, more wheat and barley-- even corn and soy arent as big here. There may be a century or more where the Janggala have Australia fully figured out but don't know what to do with it, so they're just taking suggestions from various Asian settlement-society corporations developed out of existing migrant networks. Or if there's some ecological niche in the Malay world (or elsewhere in SEA) whose way of life can be transferred to big parts of Australia, expect them to be overrepresented accordingly among the settlers. Even if they assimilate to some other norm, they'll leave their mark on place names and other customs. Distance from Asia may lead to broad autonomy down here as well.

Japan might still be interested in the Americas but unless they strike gold (even then, the result might not be "gold rush" but a penal colony in the snow) their presence will be as marginal as the Russians' or less, sufficient to run the fur trade to China and "strike gold" that way. Or trade in Northwest Coast Native manufactures, argillite carvings and such. Other than that, Australia will probably be Asia's first and greatest "New World". Ecology preservation will be trial and a lot of errors. Same as OTL, but probably worse I the long run.
The New World is one of those areas Japan isn't thinking much about, China isn't thinking much about and the Janggalas outright don't care that much about. As always, the Pacific is a greater barrier to colonialism from east Asia than any cultural issue. The easiest parts of the Americas to get to are frigid Alaskan and British Columbian coastlines that entail hugging the coast across frigid Chukotkan and Kamchatkan coastlines for thousands of kilometres. If China wants snowy northern colonies, they have snowy northern colonies at home. Same for Japan - Hokkaido exists.

Australia is the likeliest "new world" for the East and Southeast Asian sphere, and the Janggalas undoubtedly have dibs on it. But it's also fairly marginal. The north is definitely attractive for them; the south will be a harder sell. Is a north/south divided Australia possible? Maybe.

I hate to sound like Jared Diamond, but there really is an environmentally deterministic factor at play when we're looking at colonization. It's very attractive for European or North African polities because of the region's enormous density. At some point it becomes appealing to try for settler colonialism simply because a growing population generates enormous land demand, and there's a whole continent with plenty of good farmland a short hop across the Atlantic, provided you have no moral qualms about pulling off land grabs at the expense of sick and dying locals. The demand is harder for China because they have gobs of countryside to back into and a massive ocean between them and parts of the Americas that transition from snowy hells to rainy mountainsides to California, but it takes a lot of time and effort to get there - and for what?

Last edited:
The demand is harder for China because they have gobs of countryside
Sure, but not all of the countryside is equally appealing to everyone. While "Huguang filled Sichuan and Jiangxi filled Huguang", Fujian was focused on Taiwan. China has many more environments than Europe, not all have inland equivalents.

Land also may not be sufficient for prosperity-- early modern and industrial era attitudes to land are going to clash here. If enclosure of common lands starts to take hold around Wu cities ("well field system" is well and good, but land is hard enough to use as capital as is-- and now someone else theoretically ownes it?) then that may mean smaller individual parcels for everyone. And especially in the arid north, your own land may not be sufficient. So the next step is migrant labor-- while you're waiting for your own harvest you move somewhere else to help out, learn a new trade, and earn some extra money. Wu industrialism also means a industrial boom and bust cycle superimposed over the gamble of bumper crop/crop failure, so extra money might be the difference between life and death.

And we can't predict how steamships, in this century or the next, will change things. It wasn't land hunger that led Portugal and Spain to develop better ships. Passenger traffic was a fortunate consequence of freight traffic and naval power-- ships meant for soldiers and loot could think about dropping off some yokels in Mexico. Foreign opportunities at least become an option, one that can be advertised/propagandized for-- as Oregon was an "option" for Sikh farmers.

And now a place like Java is really hard pressed. Javanese may or may not be able to migrate to other islands, the provincial lords under Janggala might forbid it or might bother them with excessive requirements and arbitrary harassment.

Last edited:
I don't have a DeviantArt account, but y'all better not be thirstposting in my jar.

Cleanse your palate with kitties.

7335d9_761ceabbcb364571aba17b1297f21258~mv2.jpeg

To what extent was colonization of sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian-Ocean basin Asia by Europe/a North African polity the natural result of geography?

To what extent was colonization of sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian-Ocean basin Asia by Europe/a North African polity the natural result of geography?
Opinions will differ on this, but it's just outright easier for a European or North African polity.

I've seen people rip me in other threads for how Andalusians got to the New World, but I did a lot of homework to figure out how it would happen, and it's almost inevitable that it will be an Iberian or North African-oriented polity with decent ships that makes contact. Because of how mariners make use of oceanic currents, it's only a matter of time before someone swings out too wide and gets blown to Ceara, Portugal-style. The Americas are just close enough that accidental discovery becomes highly likely after a certain point.

Once that happens, parties coming in from Europe and Africa have a situation where a) prime cash crop-growing regions and good farmland are within easy reach, with only the Appalachians there to provide a speed bump before you get to the Rockies, and b) virgin-field epidemics will kill millions upon millions of the locals and make it very hard for the survivors to resist a bunch of jerks coming in and doing land grabs. Meanwhile, if you're colonizing from East Asia, you have a colossal Pacific Ocean in front of you, and once you cross that you wind up with a strip of land backed up onto the Rockies that doesn't have quite as much to offer as, say, the Caribbean. The incentive to colonize is lower, despite Asia actually having a greater population density than Europe because of the sheer volume of humans living in places like China and the Subcontinent.

African colonization is not a given - there will be some, perhaps, but the Scramble for Africa arose from fairly unique and specific circumstances that will almost certainly not exist in every timeline.

Be a shame if they lose it.
I doubt Romania is going to lose it since the Asmarids have no interest in trying to claim it, yet.

The Janggalas are probably the only state that have the will to explore a piece of Australia, but there is always the possibility of a random Anglish/Andalusi sailor making their way there.

Having Northern Australia within Nusantara's sphere of influence doesn't sound too bad actually, and it would avert the "Europeans always explore/colonize the Australian continent" trope.

For the effects on Africa-- the kind of ravage typified by Rabah, Tippu Tip, Mirambo, various Chokwe slavers, and the Mfecane (no guns but still-- corn fueled pop growth followed by bad harvests, then increasing organization for more ambitious violence) seems inevitable.
I mean, it's already happening in some form with the introduction of maize, amaranth, groundnut, and other crops centuries before the end of ACT IX. The Hussenids caused a period of chaos across the heart of West Africa as the Kanuri, Kanembu, Zarma, and other peoples migrated from Lake Chad and towards the west.

I believe I discussed in an earlier speculative post how regions like West Africa and Central Africa are likely to be thoroughly gutted by the slave trade, but I didn't even take into account that the majority of those enslaved are likely to be women. I think "ravage" is going to be an understatement when certain ethnic groups are going to be decimated by centuries of constant raiding and enslavement by Muslim or even Christian slavers that are going to be carrying deadlier weapons and an increasing desire to acquire more people for domestic servitude/labor.

Since I keep talking about dark topics with the MiaJ-verse, I might as well talk about something that's been on my mind recently, and that's something to do with California.

After reading a book about the Native Californians (Indians of California by James J. Rawls), a few pages were spent on Spanish and Anglo-American reactions towards the natives, and as always, they were always universally negative. However, what was unique about them is how they were compared to other Native Americans, noting how they seemed to be even more "primitive" than the noble savages further east like the Pueblo or the Sioux as they did not engage in extensive agriculture or hunting. This is due to their climate, as the region of California provided an abundance of resources in flora and fauna for the Natives (to the point where famine seemed rare or even nonexistent). Coupled with their darker skin color, "ugly" appearance in comparison to other Natives, and customs that seemed abhorrent to the Europeans, they became a target of increasing hate and bigotry that ultimately led to the mission system and the California Genocide, during which the total native population declined from 300,000 to a mere 15,000 or so within centuries of contact.

I fear that a similar reaction could take place within MiaJ once Andalusi and Anawak peoples reach California. The Andalusi already have extensive contact with Native Algarvians for centuries at this point and they have ingratiated themselves within the high societies of the Central Algarves like the Otomi, Nahua, Zapotec, Huastec, Maya, etc, or have encountered peoples further north like the Mississippians, Hohokam, Dine, and Hopi. At this point, they may have been somewhat impressed by their ingenuity and complexity in terms of culture despite being pagan societies and having far less agreeable climates than in al-Andalus or much of the Mediterranean region (which they might believe to be the best climate for the rise of sophisticated civilization).

So once the Andalusi or Otomi encounter the land of California, they'll be astounded by the immense biodiversity and fertility of the land, and a climate that is eerily similar to al-Andalus or the Maghreb. Naturally, they'd expect a civilization of the same caliber or even greater than the Central Algarvians, Puebloans, Iskantisuyu, or Mississippians. What they'll find instead is a bunch of hunter-gatherers that wear little or no clothing, live in reed huts, and subsist off of acorns or chia.

To think this would break their established views on race and ethnoreligious chauvinism would be an understatement. The land and climate should've created the conditions for a complex civilization similar to the ones in the Algarves like the Otomi, the Quechua, the Maya, the Missississipians, etc. Instead, it is populated by people that seem incredibly similar to the backward pagan savages of Africa in terms of appearance and temperament, which they consider to be subhuman and even closer to animals than actual humans. For the Andalusi, their mere existence would be an affront to them, as they were either cursed by Allah for some form of heinous sin to live in this manner or they were simply too stupid to make use of the land effectively (which is incredibly ironic given the Native Californians' own ingenuity in horticulture).

Such rampant dehumanization and resentment leave them wide open for exploitation, enslavement, and extermination by the Andalusi or the Otomi, as clearly they are the only ones that can turn the land they sit on into something productive. Considering that the Industrial Revolution is currently starting as of ACT X, the colonization of California within a few decades or centuries might resemble a lot like the U.S. settler colonization of the 1800s, where settlers, traveling by horse and steam locomotives, are eager to take advantage of the abundant resources of the region, especially once they discover the presence of gold (which is why I suggested the name al-Jannah for alt-California since it means paradise or heaven).

Of course, this can only mean bad things for the Native Californians, as the settlers would have no qualms about enslaving them or even straight out killing them if it means acquiring their land. It could even be sanctioned by the Otomi Emir or the Umayyad Caliph himself, hearing of the potential "threat" that such pagan peoples could pose to the settlers and seeing the benefits of wide open empty space could provide.

Through disease, maltreatment, forced conversions, enslavement, or even straight-out massacres, the Native Californians are bound to suffer immensely as a result of Otomi/Andalusi colonization to the point where it could be flat-out genocide (take Mahmud ibn Asafu's atrocities and multiply them by 1000). All for the sake of living in paradise.

I've seen people rip me in other threads for how Andalusians got to the New World,
"Stop writing your history fanfic it's unrealistic"

I wonder if that's more a Before 1900 board attitude or an After 1900 one. I guess with better and better documentation about what is or isn't possible it's easier to forget AH is primarily a thought experiment. Also, you know, a story people write and read for free. Because it's fun or something.

Anyways you're absolutely correct, the only way you wouldn't be is if the Andalusis were not crossing the Atlantic Equator to begin with-- there would be no voyages to Africa where you could swing wide and end up in Brazil. But the basis for that is already provided by better ships + trade partners in Africa.

Meanwhile, if you're colonizing from East Asia, you have a colossal Pacific Ocean in front of you, and once you cross that you wind up with a strip of land backed up onto the Rockies that doesn't have quite as much to offer as, say, the Caribbean.
If the Wu still want to settle the north, that means putting increasing amount of Chinese into a cold place where they'll want fur coats. They can get those out of Siberia, but after overexploiting that (there's also European demand through Russia) the next stop, as for the OTL Russians, is Alaska. The result doesn't have to be settler colonialism but it will still be colonialism.

Manchuria is another example of the thing I referred to where "Chinese colonization" would really be "people from a particular province moving to a similar environment". "Swallows and Settlers" describes how the Chinese movement there was mostly from Shandong, and a lot of it was temporary/seasonal until the early 20th century.

African colonization is not a given - there will be some, perhaps, but the Scramble for Africa arose from fairly unique and specific circumstances that will almost certainly not exist in every timeline.
Well, either the Europeans scramble for Africa or coastal Africans scramble for their own hinterlands-- the Latin American model. Maya movements for autonomy and justice in the 1800s and 1900s were put down by Mexicans and Guatemalans, not "Spanish". The societies left behind by an incomplete and patchy Spanish conquest marshaled their resources to finish the job that was started. The Southern Cone was subjugated by Chileans and Argentinians. That's just what these states had to do to keep up with world demand, both for their products and the demand that these states be "respectable" and police/expand their borders. If they failed, then the US or Europe would just do it for them.

This is more or less what was happening in Africa before the Scramble. The Khedives of Egypt bringing Sudan under Egyptian governance for the first time in millennia probably. Zanzibar sending Tippu Tip out to the eastern Congo. Ethiopia attaining its greatest territorial extent ever. If it continues in Africa, well maybe instead of the Argentine/Brazilian naval arms race it'll be the Zanzibari/Ethiopian one. Wonder what African Peron or Vargas would be like.

Me personally, I'd prefer bucking the trope of "big Ethiopia", in favor of something like the Armenian medieval and early modern situation of autonomous highland populations within a Muslim (Egyptian, Sudanese, Oromo, Somali) imperial state, or several. "Hey but maybe things don't have to go *just like Armenia*" they don't have to, but maybe they do, the world will only get more bloody from here on out.

The Hussenids caused a period of chaos across the heart of West Africa as the Kanuri, Kanembu, Zarma, and other peoples migrated from Lake Chad and towards the west.
Don't think they had guns. If they're slow to adopt them, even with the headstart they'll end up like the Luba and Lunda in the next wave of chaos, or the one after that. "The Gun In Central Africa" describes firearms as symbolic tools of power appropriated by all, but also "guns" in the aggregate as something that could invalidate the advantage of centuries of social organization, giving a more "backward" group like the Chokwe an advantage. Well, the Chokwe ended up taking after Lunda customs. Who knows where that would have gone without the Scramble.

I believe I discussed in an earlier speculative post how regions like West Africa and Central Africa are likely to be thoroughly gutted by the slave trade, but I didn't even take into account that the majority of those enslaved are likely to be women. I think "ravage" is going to be an understatement when certain ethnic groups are going to be decimated by centuries of constant raiding and enslavement by Muslim or even Christian slavers that are going to be carrying deadlier weapons and an increasing desire to acquire more people for domestic servitude/labor.
Certain ethnic groups are losing women, but the other ethnic groups are taking them as wives. It's a loss for Africa in general but it's not all going down the drain [into Eurasia or the Americas], what's left after Eurasia takes its cut is just concentrated into the winning African entities. Eurasians don't want to come in with deadly weapons, they'll just die of malaria. Better to stay on the coast, get rich, and let Dahomey or another neighbor do the work. And Dahomey prospers, the Ashanti prosper, etc etc

might resemble a lot like the U.S. settler colonization of the 1800s, where settlers, traveling by horse and steam locomotives, are eager to take advantage of the abundant resources of the region, especially once they discover the presence of gold (which is why I suggested the name al-Jannah for alt-California since it means paradise or heaven).
Think we're smashing a lot of different events together. Trains didn't extend to California until a generation after the gold rush, people went by wagon or ships around Cape Horn/portage across Panama, no Canal yet.

The genocide itself had distinct phases. It covered the whole of California after the gold rush. But before that, you had Spanish and Mexican Alta California, in which natives definitely suffered abuses in the missions (leading to revolt, then suppression of the same), but they were only in the missions to begin with because all the new cows and horses ate all the grasses and seeds, even the human-edible ones (it's what cows are built for, and they do it better than people). The ranching economy outside meant security and sustenance could only be found in the missions, which did in the end deliver on the promise of, well, keeping Natives alive, and through negotiation and struggle they could preserve their sense of themselves as a people. Not only that, but old Californio ranching society stuck to the coasts, didn't venture into the Central Valley where they would have found gold. And there weren't too many people to begin with, because the irrigation that sucks the West dry to hydrate the coast didn't exist. Ranching made do with the resources available to it, and the missions were a safe zone from that. No more reason to harass them, except sadism.The attacks on that intensified after Mexico's dissolution of the missions (the ranching economy is now everywhere) and then the gold rush.

I also wonder if the "gold rush" as a concept would emerge in different circumstances. You could consider it a essentially Anglosphere phenomenon-- free migration in a world of widespread individual land ownership (and dispossession) through enclosure and private property rights, news spreading in English through a world of English or adjacent populations, shipping lines eager to promote rumors in order to get more fare-paying customers, and most importantly destination governments that actually want all those migrants. The typical "gold rushes" are in places like California, western Canada/Alaska, Australia, and the South African Boer Republics. The former three wanted a big beautiful Anglo population and also plenty of Chinese to do the work of building railroads and such. The Boer Republics didn't necessarily want Anglos but the "Boer" Republics always had the problem of too few actual Boers, they were perpetually in need of labor for their agrarian ethnostates, which meant they needed not only Anglos and Chinese but black Africans (locals and immigrants) as well. In a situation where Atlantic-facing North America is, for example, divided among more antagonistic powers, it's possible none of them have the leisure to think about "sea from shining sea". That kind of territory may not even be defensible, depending on how mangled and unstable the eastern borders are.

In the end, California was not built by the "gold rush". The real gold was the migrants-- a whole industry sprung up to supply them with goods and services and the labor demand just brought more people in. If anything, the railroad was a disaster-- it broke this racket by letting American goods be exported west more easily, and it actually led to a depression in SF (and then the people who hoped the railroad would make them all rich blamed the Chinese when that didn't happen). SF ditched its old autarkic industry and built a new economy around being America's Pacific port, and manufacturing associated with that. But a lot of the richest people around were the same who, rather than panning for gold, sold miners their pans and lamps.

But on the other hand, if you have a population of mostly locals who want to keep it that way, even if it means slower development, they can pretty easily prevent a gold rush... or more accurately, make sure the gold rush only involves locals. It's possible to imagine a system where the mission-and-rancho society is extended through all of California-- once gold is discovered there will be more incentive to break the rules of the "contract" the natives are coerced into (kill them for their land, or kill them specifically to piss off the missions who you think are trying to claim all the gold for themselves). But if there aren't quite so many migrants it may be easier to restrain them, and to keep the Natives around in... well, reservations. That's what the missions were. With all the disadvantages that come from "autonomy" being dependent on corrupt self appointed agents who decide what your rations are.

Last edited:
The mission system is also not unique to California-- in Paraguay, Argentina, and Brazil the Jesuit missions became a kind of new basis for Guarani society and war against outsiders. If Sufis or the Ismailis (OTL Imamates and derived missionary institutions found homes in Persia, Yemen, and India; maybe TTL some went west after the fall of the Fatimids?) are filtering in across Andalus, they may create similar systems in many other parts of the Americas.