Moonlight in a Jar: An Al-Andalus Timeline

^Will the Mexihca become big players soon? Granted it's been a while since I've read this but I don't think they've been mentioned before now.

At the same time though its a shame about the mixtecs, i was gunning for a non muslim plurality for a while at least.
Well, at least for now who converted were just the leaders, i don't think that it prevents the mixtecs from having a non-muslim plurality at all, probably now they have a non-muslim majority because of the recent conversion, don't lose hope so easily!
Wait, is the Mexihca kingdom to the west the Mexica/Aztecs of OTL? If so, that is one great detour they have made! Whatever the case, it seems like their hegemony is now being short-circuited by the number of nominally-Islamized Mesoamerican states surrounding them. I shudder to think what'll happen once the Guachilchil gets used to Old World horses... o_O
Yep, a great ride indeed, but for real i think they still have quite a lot going for them, since the region still needs to bounce back from disease stuff, so the Mexica can maintain their position for a bit longer i think. Chichimeca cavalrymen is always a promising thing!

Last edited:
Well, at least for now who converted were just the leaders, i don't think that it prevents the mixtecs from having a non-muslim plurality at all, probably now they have a non-muslim majority because of the recent conversion, don't lose hope so easily!

Yep, a great ride indeed, but for real i think they still have quite a lot going for them, since the region still needs to bounce back from disease stuff, so the Mexica can maintain their position for a bit longer i think. Chichimeca cavalrymen is always a promising thing!
I'm the only one don't care that much the natives but more the muslims preaching and native (mis)understanding of the message? still nice the new Walis, wonder what will come next

Didn’t they pick up corn farming from the the Maya in quwania?
They did. They've had a lot of time to get their hands on things like corn and tomatoes. The biggest impact of New World crops has actually been in Senegambia, largely because of cassava, maize and peanuts.

They did. They've had a lot of time to get their hands on things like corn and tomatoes. The biggest impact of New World crops has actually been in Senegambia, largely because of cassava, maize and peanuts.
Nice. How have new world crops and crops from Africa influenced Andalusian cuisine?

To what extent to more conservative Islamic dress codes have impacted the Islamized peoples of the new world?
I'm not sure whether cultures in the Americas had any philosophical-cultural backing for not fully covering yourself, but in India, Muslim culture ended up permitting very thin translucent hybrid silk and cotton cloth for men and women that both was seen to accomodate Islamicate ideas about modesty and Indic ideas about the king allowing his body to be seen as a sign of sovereignty and semi divinity. Also thinner cloth is just more practical in humid environments.

To what extent to more conservative Islamic dress codes have impacted the Islamized peoples of the new world?
I actually have a post coming on some of this soon, but the Otomi Alliance in particular is experiencing a trend of urban elite Arabization of dress code, language and mannerisms. Women are wearing hijab more, Arabic is becoming the language of state and there's a trend towards embracing a more orthodox religious manner. That's mainly true in the major cities. That said, in the countryside people tend to retain their indigenous styles of dress and worship, and even though an Ajami script exists for the Otomi language, Otomi is still the spoken language of most commoners.