Modern-day Stuart Restoration in Scotland--2004

I was intrigued by the following line in an article Grey Wolf referenced on the Scottish Flag thread...

"The event was closed with a speech by Prince Michael of Albany, an Edinburgh-based writer originally from Belgium, who claims he is the direct descendant of Prince Michael Stuart and therefore the rightful king of Scotland."

We all know that Scotland within the past few years got it's Parliament back. What if Prince Michael's claim was accepted by the Scottish Parliament and he was acclaimed as the rightful King and coronated upon the Stone of Scone to the stirring strains of "Scotland the Brave"?

Does war break out, or will Queen Elizabeth finally give up the English monarch's long claim to sovereignty in Scotland and allow a peaceful secession from the United (by force) Kingdom?

Grey Wolf

Donor
AFAIK the guy has no claim and certainly can't call himself a prince anymore than I can. IIRC he may have some descent but its not legitimate and not male to male or anything, its like seeing a duke a couple of centuries back on your family tree and going around pretending to be Lord Fluffy and a claimant to the dukedom

The actual Stuart legal claim is somewhere muddled, again depending on various succession rules and how/if they apply. I had thought it was in the Bavarian royal family somewhere now, but then I read it was in the Italian/Savoyard and I guess it depends on how you want to treat it

Logically, in real world terms that actually would give this 'Prince Michael' a better chance, because who could rally round some distant foreigner ? It would be a bit like backing Henry Tudor I suppose, someone with an extremely tenuous claim who is only going to gain legitimacy by winning

Grey Wolf

Grey Wolf said:
AFAIK the guy has no claim and certainly can't call himself a prince anymore than I can. IIRC he may have some descent but its not legitimate and not male to male or anything, its like seeing a duke a couple of centuries back on your family tree and going around pretending to be Lord Fluffy and a claimant to the dukedom

The actual Stuart legal claim is somewhere muddled, again depending on various succession rules and how/if they apply. I had thought it was in the Bavarian royal family somewhere now, but then I read it was in the Italian/Savoyard and I guess it depends on how you want to treat it

Logically, in real world terms that actually would give this 'Prince Michael' a better chance, because who could rally round some distant foreigner ? It would be a bit like backing Henry Tudor I suppose, someone with an extremely tenuous claim who is only going to gain legitimacy by winning

Grey Wolf

Okay...just for the sake of argument, let's assume the claim is genealogically and legally valid. Or that the Scottish Parliament rules that it is, even if it really isn't, and accepts the claim anyway...just to restore "The House of Stuart" to Scotland. Perhaps an extreme Scottish nationalist party gains power in Parliament and declares "Prince Michael" king in order to assert Scotland's complete independence from England. What happens?

Last edited: