Modern Day Soviet Union

• Thread starter Deleted member 140587
  • Start date

Deleted member 140587

I'm sure this idea has been done to death but how could the Soviet Union have survived into the modern day? What would modern Soviet society look like? What would her relationship with the West look like? Who would her leaders be?

Ficboy

Banned
I'm sure this idea has been done to death but how could the Soviet Union have survived into the modern day? What would modern Soviet society look like? What would her relationship with the West look like? Who would her leaders be?
That really depends on the POD and the context of the alternate Soviet Union.

Although there are cases of otl communist nations (such as China) Surviving by switching over to state capitalism, the issue is finding a Soviet Politician with those beliefs who also has the political clout to take control of the country.

In name only. The Fordist compromise had died under low equilibrium (the “qualitative” problem).

So there are three ways out:

1) liquidate the welfare state, privatise state and social capitalist property under nomenklatura control. Smash the working class. Historical.
2) double down on low productivity by smashing wage levels directly. Smash the working class. North Korea.
3) take up Hungary or Poland’s offer and destroy the party and nomenklatura under workers council control. Not favoured by more than 20-40% of the nomenklatura in the most revolutionary post WWII moments. Requires a pod before 1963

Honestly, when I imagine a USSR that somehow managed to survive to the modern day I feel like it looks something in between what Russia and China look like today. China being the model for investment and expansion but with a lot of push back and a yearning to call the shots in that relationship again. It really depends on what reforms are implemented and how they're enforced too. Alternately I could see The Soviet Union become a confederation lacking leadership at the national level, individual republics start having more say so over policy in their jurisdiction. You could see different parts of the country with insanely different levels of development.

If the Union Treaty passed then it would be the Union of Soviet Sovereign States, made up of all but the Baltics, Moldova, Georgia and Armenia.

At the very least you need to take Brezhnev out of the equation. It would also help if Stalin hadn’t purged the Red Army so that if Barbarossa still happens the chances are that it fails more quickly so that the Soviets don’t suffer the appalling losses they didn’t IOTL.

If they'd kept the lid on with repression they could have lasted another generation imo. Even reforms to hungarian/yugoslav levels means they'd be a thing in 2020.

The OP talked "modern day USSR" so I took it to mean bare survival, not holding onto superpower status or the WP countries