Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

An NFL and legal what if rolled into one.

What if Baltimore was able to seize the Colts before Irsay could move the team to Indianapolis? What would the NFL do? Would it be upheld in court?
The league would whine and try something but that's legal under state laws, might put a provision no other state can try it again.

Arkenfolm, LordVorKon, NorthTension, Count of Crisco, thank you most kindly for answering my query!:)

For the record, I really like the notion of a town called 'Independence' as the capital of the United States of America; I wonder if a relocated capital district might simply be known as 'C.D.' (Making the town 'Independence, C.D.'), helping set it apart from what is now - presumably - Washington, MD.

God knows what the population of Washington would make of all this; one can only suspect that at least some of the locals might be quite pleased to have fewer politicians & lobbyists scheming around the neighbourhood!

TL Idea: President Smedley Butler

-Zangara shoots Roosevelt and successfully kills him.
-Garner becomes POTUS, things seem good at first after he repeals Prohibition and Smoot-Hawley, but things fail after that.
-Business Plot or some similar action against Garner is real, but fails. Smedley is NOT informed about it but is involved with saving Garner or some other major figure in time.
-Smedley becomes wildly famous over night.
-Smedley narrowly defeats Garner at the '36 convention and then wins against Landon in the general.
-Smedley goes further than FDR in economic reforms.

Plausibility check?

'Friendly Russo-American Relations Throughout The 20th Century'.

Can't imagine the USSR was terribly good for that, so maybe nixing it would be a good start? ;)

An alternate timeline in which the Royal Canadian Navy acquired more than just the Niobe and Rainbow as in the OTL, the Royal Canadian Navy also acquires two of the old Royal Sovereign class of Pre-Dreadnought Battleships for cheap and a number of the aging A-Class Destroyers of the 26 and 27 knotter vessels.

If Kennedy beats Carter in the 1980 Democratic primaries, how does he fare in the general election against Reagan? It's safe to assume that he would lose between the national mood and the lingering issue of Chappaquiddick, but would he have at least pulled some of the big blue states that Carter lost in (New York, Massachusetts, maybe Pennsylvania)?

This might better be an ASB question, but if the Nazis have a missile capable of striking the East Coast (plus 500 miles or so inland) of North America, what sort of impact would it have on the war? Obviously it won't win them the war and will be extremely inaccurate instead of raining down a stream of death on NYC and Washington, but what sort of response would the US have if a Nazi missile takes out a farmhouse in Vermont or something? Or would the Nazis expend their stock of these missiles trying to strike industrial centers in Siberia?

This might better be an ASB question, but if the Nazis have a missile capable of striking the East Coast (plus 500 miles or so inland) of North America, what sort of impact would it have on the war? Obviously it won't win them the war and will be extremely inaccurate instead of raining down a stream of death on NYC and Washington, but what sort of response would the US have if a Nazi missile takes out a farmhouse in Vermont or something? Or would the Nazis expend their stock of these missiles trying to strike industrial centers in Siberia
Its probably wasted in the east or trying to hit the UK.

El_Fodedor

Banned
Can someone explain to me just why did Romania veto Mongolia's ascension to the Warsaw Pact? What kind of problems could Romania have with that country?

Its probably wasted in the east or trying to hit the UK.
Wouldn't it be better to try and strike the East Coast or Siberia instead of the UK if possible? Even if it reduces the number of V2s, East Coast/Siberia strikes seem better since V1s and V2s can do the shorter range job.
Can someone explain to me just why did Romania veto Mongolia's ascension to the Warsaw Pact? What kind of problems could Romania have with that country?
Everything involving Mongolia was a sticking point in Soviet-Chinese relations, while Romania since the late 50s had pursued an independent foreign policy. Presumably it was meant as a gesture of goodwill toward Mao and the Chinese. The Soviets tolerated it because it gave the impression Eastern Europe wasn't just a bunch of satellite states like the West accused them of being.

If Japan had been given some concessions in the WNT negotiations, say being allowed a 4/5 ratio in cruisers versus 3/5 historically and being allowed to complete a Tosa class battleship or some other minor victory what would the likely ramifications have been? Assuming the rest of the treaty goes as per OTL what would the reaction have been of the Japanese public, government, and military to this more favorable treaty? Would there have still been the OTL backlash and perception it was a humiliation?

If Japan had been given some concessions in the WNT negotiations, say being allowed a 4/5 ratio in cruisers versus 3/5 historically and being allowed to complete a Tosa class battleship or some other minor victory what would the likely ramifications have been? Assuming the rest of the treaty goes as per OTL what would the reaction have been of the Japanese public, government, and military to this more favorable treaty? Would there have still been the OTL backlash and perception it was a humiliation?
Why would the US, who sees Japan as its biggest threat, give it concessions when it knows that Japan can be limited to 3/5?

Siberian Tiger

Gone Fishin'
Is there any way I can slow down technological development as much as possible with a POD of 1900?
NOTE: Nuclear war and other mass death scenarios are not allowed.

It recently occurred to me to wonder what British currency might look like, had it never been decimalised; while the symbolism is likely to be consistent, I did wonder what denominations might be in circulation (given that, even after decimalisation, old denominations have been withdrawn and new ones circulated).

Might I please ask if there has been any speculation on this sort of thing, at any point?

No World Wars? Bloodier WW?
I know that's a popular talking point, but I’d think that the “war advances technology more than peacetime” narrative is compromised by the deaths of so many potential scientists, engineers, technicians, and other would-be innovators during wartime. A hell of a lot of money and economic productivity is also poured into waging wars rather than R&D ventures, not to mention how people’s priorities are elsewhere when they're managing refugee crises or rebuilding their rubble-ridden countries, rather than earning their PhDs or becoming the next Alexander Graham Bell, when so much of their infrastructure has been shelled or bombed into oblivion.

Besides, just because a technology was invented under a specific circumstance IOTL, doesn't mean it couldn't have been invented under a different one IATL. In fact, there may be cases where technologies that had roots in wartime applications are invented under more peaceful circumstances for civilian use, so I think it’s presumptuous to simply assume that radar or what have you couldn’t have arisen in a "No World Wars" world, for example (though it may go by a different name, despite essentially being the same thing).