Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

1902: No British-Japanese Alliance, ergo
1905: No Japanese-Russian War
1908: WW1 over Bosnia

Result?

Before Xinhai revolution so perhaps China joins the CP? Hard to ally with Wilhelm tbf

Sides would be something like:

Ottomans
Russia
Britain?
France?
Italy?

vs
Germany
AH
China?

Either side:
Japan?
USA?

Last edited:
What would the world's Popular Culture look like without Prohibition?

If the US had not past the Prohibition in 1920 what would the effect have been on things like: organized crime's perception in media, booze cruises, Canada visits, jazz, wine making, the black market, KKK, etc etc??

What if Gary Gygax retained ownership of TSR instead of being push out of control? Would the Forgotten Realm exist (I could see it existing on Western Oerik, currently the setting for the Sundered Empire), or Kara-Tur, or Al-Qudim (both could be in Central Oerik)? Would Gygax sell Dungeons and Dragons to Wizards of the Coast?

Okay, here's a timeline idea.

Broz Before Hoxha

What is the divergence? Haven't a clue

What happens in the TL? 🤷‍♂️

What is it even about? The Balkans, presumably

Why? The pun, of course.

What if Gary Gygax retained ownership of TSR instead of being push out of control? Would the Forgotten Realm exist (I could see it existing on Western Oerik, currently the setting for the Sundered Empire), or Kara-Tur, or Al-Qudim (both could be in Central Oerik)? Would Gygax sell Dungeons and Dragons to Wizards of the Coast?

I have often wondered this, I suspect you need to stop Gary looking at Hollywood and shopping his brand around, perhaps someone else goes (Arneston?) meaning Gary stays and sees the moves being made on TSR and counters the stock buyouts- possibly getting safer outside investors/partners in or even encouraging fans to buy in.

We avoid the mess that AD&D 2nd Ed became with proper playtesting, and roll out. We do not get the Buck Rogers game. Forgotten Realms still likely happens as Gygax will still want more settings. I could see investors sniffing about in the 80's- maybe someone like Marvel esp if the D&D cartoon is a bigger success, or even DC who made some of the comics.

Wizards could still come knocking of course, esp once 2nd Ed is getting long in the tooth... unless Gygax's team revitialise it themselves in the 90's? A 3rd Ed in mid-90's would be interesting, esp if it takes some of OTL's approch, though I doubt the D20 licence would had happened like it did OTL.

What if Space Force was started in the eighties?

I presumed that Reagan would be the best president for starting, with his escalation and planned Star Wars defense system. Kennedy, Johnson, etc. were focused with a peaceful space race or at least did not attempt weaponizing outer space.

And there would be plenty of pop culture side effects!

"Star Trek fans clamor for Space Force to adopt Starfleet uniforms and protocols. Gene Roddenberry reacts negatively and threatens law suit against the federal government if Space Force infringes on his copy right!"

"Record numbers of NASA and Air Force applications, though many recruiters warn that many of them are grossly unfit for service."

"Secretary Weinberger exasperatedly claims that there is no DOD project to construct a Death Star nor a Millennium Falcon."

What was Taisho Democracy, and could it have survived?
(In other words, was the ultramilitarization of Japan in the interwar period inevitable? If not, what could have stopped it?)

Grey Wolf

Donor
What was Taisho Democracy, and could it have survived?
(In other words, was the ultramilitarization of Japan in the interwar period inevitable? If not, what could have stopped it?)

Ironically, war would probably have stopped it

Of course most wars in OTL this period would have destroyed Japan, but one could posit a French-Japanese War in some alternate, with no allies for France, and Japan focused mainly on Indo-China

So I found an interesting TL called the Iron Jaws.
It has many interesting Pods and premises :

1. Ireland apparently is united
  2. Dunkirk goes much worse than OTL
  3. De Gaulle plane is shot down over the English Channel in 1940, which seems to have major effects in all of Africa and the Levant (you have a big Syria and other interesting gigantic countries in the dark continent)
  4. Yugoslavia slightly chewed up by Italy and divided between two monarchies (Savoy Croatia and Chetnik Serbia?)
  5. Norway and Turkey are communist, Kurdistan exists. Albania also get bigger and seems to be... Blue?
  6. Greece is the Taiwan of this TL, with a Kingdom in exile in Cyprus
  7. Maybe no Suez Crisis?
  8. Thailand goes greater Thailand but never enters WW2?
  9. Italy is more competent when changing sides (and still keeping what they took!? ) but to balance it out it seems the banned author killed 90% of the postwar Italian political class
  10. China seems to be controlled mostly by KMT, Korea also seems to be united?
Before I joined alternatehistory.com I have read plenty of ah novels, but never something that interesting ; most books I have read are Axis victory scenarios, except the Yiddish Policemen Union (I am still scratching my head over the ending) and Osama by Tidhar (very PKD-esque).

So what you guys think of this scenario? What would happen to the cold war if postwar Europe was like this?