Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

‘USSR Attacks Poland First’. Followed by Nazi Germany blitzkrieging it from the West, rather than the other way around as was true IOTL.

If Newfoundland remains a (semi-)independent dominion (or equivalent) until the 1990s, and fishery stocks collapse on schedule and take her economy with them (as OTL, to my understanding) would the US and Canada be OK with the UK retaking control? If not, what would happen to the new economic basket case just of the East Coast?

If Newfoundland remains a (semi-)independent dominion (or equivalent) until the 1990s, and fishery stocks collapse on schedule and take her economy with them (as OTL, to my understanding) would the US and Canada be OK with the UK retaking control? If not, what would happen to the new economic basket case just of the East Coast?

Either join Canada or join the UK on an equal level to Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland

TIL that my home region in Brazil, western Paraná and Santa Catarina, was its own federal territorial entity for a short time between 1943 and 1946.
territorio-iguacu.jpg

Alongside a southern portion of modern day Mato Grosso do Sul:
images

Could these have become new Brazilian states like OTL Rondônia?

How feasible would it be for the original 13 + vermont to be the only states in the area granted in the Treaty of Paris? obviously, with Louisiana Purchase, new states can be formed at that point. What would be a POD to push the country in that direction?

Grey Wolf

Donor
How feasible would it be for the original 13 + vermont to be the only states in the area granted in the Treaty of Paris? obviously, with Louisiana Purchase, new states can be formed at that point. What would be a POD to push the country in that direction?

Think should be in pre-1900 misc, but the basic idea would be that their Westward claims would be what continued.

Penncolony.jpg connecticut western reserve.jpg

As can be seen from the left-hand one, there remain large areas of disagreement of claims, and by the right-hand one as to how the claims worked over longer distances

Deleted member 139407

How did new outlets report on Presidential candidates entering the race before, say, the 1980s? I've been trying to find news articles or clips that announced, say, JFK had entered the Democratic primary or that Eisenhower had announced a campaign for President, but I'm coming up short.

McPherson

Banned
How did new outlets report on Presidential candidates entering the race before, say, the 1980s? I've been trying to find news articles or clips that announced, say, JFK had entered the Democratic primary or that Eisenhower had announced a campaign for President, but I'm coming up short.

Back in those archaic days, there were newsreels, newspapers, billboards, even a primitive television thing called the CBS Evening News with Walter Cronkite.

With a POD in 1900-1914, Indian independence in the twenties/early forties with all of the Raj and with *Pakistan getting independence in late 2010s (with about a 5 year war of independence) what would be a good name and flag concept of Pakistan? Could the OTL name and flag be used?

October 27th 1962 was a massive day in history. Dodged a bullet from an all out nuclear war. If war did happen that day i wouldn't be typing this

'Better 1972 Democratic Nominee?'. As in, one that stands a substantial better chance than George McGovern did, considering how he got walloped by Nixon on election night?