Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

What if the Soyuz 11 depressurization didn’t happen? How would the Soviet space program be affected? Might Salyut 1 be revisited?

Stretch

Donor
What if Critchley Parker survived his hike in 1942 and successfully established a Jewish state in the South-West of Tasmania? (yes this was an actual proposal, with well reasoned out plans for how the state would be economically viable, however when exploring the area on a hike, he got TB, died and was buried to the side of the bush track) Imagine that for some reason or another, Palestine no longer becomes a viable option for a Jewish state, maybe due to the Arabs being supported strongly by the Soviets. What would this state be like today, if it survived that long?

‘Who Else Could’ve Had The Atom Bomb First?’.

Preferably via an interwar PoD or one within the first couple years of World War II. They’ll need the time (and the will) to marshal together the expertise and resources for their own Manhattan Project, after all.

The Germans had some very good scientists but were lousy at pooling resources. Likely you would have had three to ten different teams sponsored by four or five different organizations all working unaware the others exist.
The Soviets were still rebuilding all parts of their nation. While they had talented scientists I would wager they had other things to spend their budget on.
France is France and thus a mess. Its anyones guess.
Italy is poor and already has a strained economy so probably couldnt afford the bomb even if they could put a team together.
British Empire has huge resources, manpower, and a robust scientific community. Even "helped" to a degree in the US atomic project. If they started early enough and were well funded enough they could do it, biggest impediment is a government likely unwilling to fund the project seriously while also rearming conventionally.
The USA did it OTL so could obviously do it ITTL.
Preferably via an interwar PoD or one within the first couple years of World War II. They’ll need the time (and the will) to marshal together the expertise and resources for their own Manhattan Project, after all.

Grey Wolf

Donor

As an outlier, how about if Sweden decided it would give them a good defence for their neutrality?

'1956 Election W/Out Ike's Heart Attack'.

For one, I assume Eisenhower would win by even larger margins than IOTL, considering how many real-life voters probably defected (because they feared the consequences of having an unhealthy commander-in-chief).

A TL i have sometimes thought about is one where British Railways didn't go all out to eliminate steam by 1968 and instead made the withdrawal more gradual, as was common on the Continent. The money saved on hundreds of often unreliable and unneeded diesels was spent on more electrification. However, i wonder if this could have butterflied away the HST which would have resulted in BR being in worse shape by the 1980s.

A TL i have sometimes thought about is one where British Railways didn't go all out to eliminate steam by 1968 and instead made the withdrawal more gradual, as was common on the Continent. The money saved on hundreds of often unreliable and unneeded diesels was spent on more electrification. However, i wonder if this could have butterflied away the HST which would have resulted in BR being in worse shape by the 1980s.
There are a couple of really good BR timelines on this site, I am fairly sure one of them had an approach like this.

1992 - Due to having made up the entirety of the USSR in the last four days of its existence, Kazakhstan ends up inheriting the defunct superpower's permanent seat on the UN Security Council.
Its a fun idea but.
Sounds too much of a ASB.

It is true that in its independence Kazakhstan had nuclear weapons, but they are not enough to confer upon it a status of great power outside its immediate area.
Furthermore, Russia would remain the 'legitimate' heir to the Soviet Union, and therefore the permanent seat on the security council and veto power.
Because among other things, Russia inherited the debt and position of the USSR in various treaties signed by the Soviets.

Can the Soviet Union-Kazakhstan fulfill all this? If not, it is quite impossible.
Although a Russia-Kazakhstan union (led in part by the Kazakh side of the union) might meet these conditions.

In a Neutral Fascist Italy in WW2 would Muss invade Greece and Balkans?
If France had been defeated and it looked like the British were losing, yes. Britain could overlook the Italian aggression in Greece due to the need to focus on Germany and potentially Japan.

What is the earliest date that Big Chungus could become a meme/cultural icon after the release of the original cartoon Wabbit Twouble, on December 1941?