Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Screenshot_20240625_195520_KidSmart Browser.jpg

What Would Have To change for this to be a map of 1933.?

If the Nationalists win in the Chinese Civil War, how does this affect US domestic politics? Specifically, how much of Truman's terrible poll numbers by the end of his second term were due to the 'Loss of China' and the Korean War?

How plausible is a CP victory where the Entente still firmly wins in the Middle East and sign a separate peace with Turkey?
It could happen in a peace negotiated through an international conference where everyone agrees to just leave it like this because of how exhausted they have become, since CP cannot intervene in the Middle East and the Entente cannot put pressure on Europe...

would have been very difficult to prevent the Korean War from happening, but let's just say it somehow didn't. Had the Chinese Civil War been inconclusive and left Nationalist controlled regions on the Chinese mainland perhaps a straight up victory for the nationalists, or had the US paid a closer attention to Korea, it could have been prevented.

Historically the Japanese and Germans benefited from the Korean War by selling wartime products. Particularly Japan who had a big boost in postwar economic reconstruction. Without the Korean War this wouldn't have happened. Does this have any long term consequences?

The long term consequences would be weaker Japanese and German economies in the Cold War.

The long term consequences would be weaker Japanese and German economies in the Cold War.
Unless the US decides anyway that it needs to build up Japan as a counterweight in case China goes crazy / to protect the northern flank and threaten the Sea of Okhotsk, where they can project naval power more easily than China (since China can't do because they have Korea in the middle).

There are also good reasons why Japan is used as a forward logistics base rather than simply importing everything from the United States: it's easier and faster to buy Japanese things than to wait for them to arrive from America.

Last edited:
undefined

Well, I was trying to do an OTL where Mo Udall was elected president in 1972... And I got into a chaos of laws and governors that makes ME FIT!
Oh well. Here is the OTL.

The difference here is that Mo Udall is given the opportunity to run for Congress in 1954.
He then resigns on January 18, 1961 to become US Secretary of the Interior, leaving his brother, Stewart Udall, to be elected to replace him on May 2, 1961.
Mo Udall is back after the 1962/63 run keep in mind I still have no idea if it works like that and his brother is running for the US House of Representatives.
From Arizona's first district, winning.
Then Mo Udall decides to run for the 1964 Arizona gubernatorial election, winning and replacing Samuel Goddard.
Mo Udall continues to be elected until 1970, because he will run for the United States Presidential Elections of 1972, winning although I do not know how many states he would win or who the Republican candidate would be and he also wins the 1976 elections.

So does anyone think I should make a correction or something?

So I was listening to some old Eminem songs and reading up on the trivia to Guilty Conscience on the Slim Shady LP. Apparently Eminem was afraid to make a reference to Dr. Dre assaulting Dee Barnes, which was understandable due to the fact that Em had only known Dre for a couple of days - not really something you wanna joke about with someone who is little more than an acquaintance at this point. Fortunately for Marshall, Dre found the joke hilarious to the point he fell out of his chair laughing. This actually brings to mind a very serious what if because Eminem and Dre have had quite the resounding bromance throughout the decades.

What if Dr. Dre didn't like the Dee Barnes joke and actually dropped Eminem from Aftermath Records? What trajectory would Eminem's rap career have taken then or would his career have fizzled out? I can't see any other major artist at that time taking the gamble on Eminem that Dre did, unless P. Diddy at that time felt like rolling the dice, especially in light of Biggie's death. I can't really see Em working with Diddy, especially since he idolized Dre, but it is an interesting thought experiment.

My way is somehow prevent the shock therapy, prevent Yeltsin firing upon the white house in 1993, maybe Yavlinsky can dominate the market reform in the whole 1990s instead of Yeltsin and Gaidar.
The Russian economy had already collapsed under the Soviet Union, it was finalized with shock therapy but simply having a different plan will not make the 90's a paradise for Russia. It would still have severe economic problems at least for 4-5 years.
I had read that things had been just that extremely bad in Eastern Europe that something like 'shock therapy' was both inevitable and necessary; instead it had been Yeltsin's corrupt privatisations which ruined Russia's chance for recovery:
https://branko2f7.substack.com/p/distinguishing-post-communist-privatizations

Yeltsin's disastrous policies were the result of the political situation in Russia. Reforms were rushed because of the August Coup, which was led by conservative interest groups that had tried to stymie economic reforms, made economic reforms an urgent political task for the post-Gorbachev leadership, fearing a new coup. Thus arrived Yeltsin's disastrous voucher privatization program and so on.

Also, outside of privatisation there were plenty of other things which made the economic situation worse: For example the disintegration of the Soviet Union greatly reduced trade between the former SSR's leading to a large fall in output. In fact, even before the USSR had formally broken up, autonomy declarations by secessionist republics led to large reductions in trade with the rest of the USSR by increasing uncertainty about the continuation of trade links.

So, I wonder whether the best way to improve the Russian economy starting from 1990 might be to avoid the August Coup which led to Yeltsin and the break up of the Soviet Union; and instead have the Soviet Union slowly democratise under Gorbachev.

Though, even then things are likely to be very bad for a while, just look at how large the government debt and budget deficits were under Gorbachev. However, I suspect a recovery followed by rapid growth like in Eastern Europe should have been possible.

and instead have the Soviet Union slowly democratise under Gorbachev.
The Augustus Coup was only the final nail in the coffin, Gorbachev had already brought the USSR to a point of no return. Gorbachev would in no way be able to solve the economic crisis and political instability, the whole reason he was couped in the first place was because Kryuchkov understood that he was not the man for the job.

Last edited:
WI Hawaii became part of California instead of it's own state?

How would that change elections etc ie. how many electoral college votes would California have etc

Could Gorbachev or another leader have pulled off transforming the Soviet Union’s economy into something like modern China’s ‘authoritarian capitalist’ one without the USSR breaking up?

Could Gorbachev or another leader have pulled off transforming the Soviet Union’s economy into something like modern China’s ‘authoritarian capitalist’ one without the USSR breaking up?
Depends on what you mean, there certainly are ways to revitalize the Soviet economy and integrate it more in the global capitalist economy but it would be much more difficult than in China and would not have the same astonishing success the Chinese example had.

What if Prague spring never happened, instead, NATO involved in May 1968 France riots , NATO soldiers and tanks pass through and occupied the streets of Paris, it irritated French people completely, they were yelling : America and NATO go home!"
it escalated into "Paris spring" finally

How would it affected the US-French relations, NATO, US reputation and the whole cold war tension ?

What if Prague spring never happened, instead, NATO involved in May 1968 France riots , NATO soldiers and tanks pass through and occupied the streets of Paris, it irritated French people completely, they were yelling : America and NATO go home!"

How would it affected the US-French relations, NATO, US reputation and the whole cold war tension ?
"Never stop an enemy when he makes a mistake" - Khrushchev, 1968, when asked about this question.

What happened to allow this situation to arise? Because if there ever was a kind of revolt that would make NATO panic (very hard considering the OTL May 1968) the French would send the army in first, De Gaulle wouldn't want NATO's help. It is very hard to imagine at that point that the French forces fail so badly that France wants or needs NATO help to crush the rebellion.

Kalakali

Kicked
BTW, any chance of any alt-WWII happening at all if the SRs are in power in Russia instead of the Bolsheviks? And of the US eventually getting directly involved in this alt-WWII?