Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

What would it take for there to be a country where social progress lags significantly behind economic progress? Like a first world developed country where women were granted the right to vote in the 80s. And not by suddenly attaining a bunch of wealth via natural resources like Persian gulf nations.

Guess everyone else would remain monarchies, then?

If so, my feeling is that you either need to prevent World War I, or otherwise have a serendipitous series of monarchic restorations that'd be nigh-impossible to pull off. After all, I highly doubt Soviet Russia would willingly restore the Romanovs, so some way of butterflying the October Revolution and reforming Russia along constitutional-monarchist lines is probably a necessity for your scenario.
France is the obstacle I see.

France is the obstacle I see.

Drat, forgot about them! 😩

Honestly, I wonder if this would make a better pre-1900 POD. Because unfortunately, France has a pretty high turnover when it comes to governments — not least of which whether it remains a monarchy or not, at least after the French Revolution.

What would it take for there to be a country where social progress lags significantly behind economic progress? Like a first world developed country where women were granted the right to vote in the 80s. And not by suddenly attaining a bunch of wealth via natural resources like Persian gulf nations.
I think OTL America in the 1930s to 1980s or 1870s to 1920s, as well as South Korea in the Dictatorship Era, is an excellent example of what you're looking for: a country that was economically very prosperous and wealthy but socially completely the other way around. Which in turn I think is a good counterpoint to the (false) belief that social progress and economic progress are intrinsically linked.

One What If I would like to read explored is Britain staying in EFTA and not joining the EEC.

How does not being in the bloc effect both Europe and the UK? The EEC misses out on a lot of funds, but missing a lot of rows and possibly a brake on integration?
What effect on the Conservatives and Labour parties?
Being the largest economy in EFTA will have an effect on that organisation too - do countries like Ireland leave EFTA for the EEC or do they stay?
Would the UK failing to get in stop other countries trying? Esp in the East once/if the curtain comes down?

‘Nazi Analogues In A Central Powers Victory TL?’.

Besides Imperial Germany being nasty in the east (despite butterflying OG Nazis), I the Ottomans will probably continue their own series of genocides. Might take a bit more of everything going horribly astray to make them reach “Holy CP Hitler, Batman!” levels of mass-murderous, but the groundwork for atrocities that could escalate to that point is still there.

Bit niche, but: '2D-Animated Films More Widespread After 2000'.

Not too many new ones nowadays, thanks to easy CGI displacing hand-drawn or even Flash-animated 2D stuff.