Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

How elderly do they have to be? I mean MacNamara could be an interesting candidate, if I understand the JFK presidency has happened, but no 2nd Democratic term.
JFK is shot as OTL. HHH loses in '68 to goldwater and Goldwater is a one-term failure who loses to [elderly establishment] democrat. They just have to be older than mid 60s, preferably 70s. If you can SOMEHOW get mid to late 70s that's ideal.

Why would this part help with development?
Limited population, relatively similar populations to one another though not homogenous, and not overcrowded or as subject to migration or climate related challenges.
So, this is at the expense of Serbia mainly? I'm not sure of the intended boundaries, but as Skopje etc is South of Nish, then I assume we are looking at a bad result for the Serbs. This might imply they have a bad outcome in the WAR too, as I assume this did not come about because the Serbs were diplomatically too strong. Serbia is going to be squeezed and will focus either West towards the sea (Montenegro tried to take Scutari, maybe Serbia tries that in the second war) or towards the North, i.e. Bosnia
It could be at Greek expense also depending on the lines used and whether sea access is a consideration. I'm imagining Vardar basin borders for the state.

‘Soviet Holocaust In Eastern Poland’.

That is, Stalin decides to carry out a full-blown extermination campaign of Soviet-occupied Poland mirroring Hitler's. Know the NKVD dispensed terror campaigns and forced collectivization quite liberally, but to my knowledge, there was no concerted attempt to wipe out the Polish nation and culture wholesale.

That is, Stalin decides to carry out a full-blown extermination campaign of Soviet-occupied Poland mirroring Hitler's. Know the NKVD dispensed terror campaigns and forced collectivization quite liberally, but to my knowledge, there was no concerted attempt to wipe out the Polish nation and culture wholesale.
Expect this to be in every TV screen in America in the 1950s, perhaps could make McCarthy more popular ITTL

I know, but what I was trying to say is the American "discover" this during cold war and use for propaganda purposes

Depends on how things roll out between 1939 and the early Fifties, I’d say, courtesy of the Butterfly Effect and all.

For instance, maybe Hitler decides to put off Barbarossa as soon as he notices Stalin doing much of the work for him in eradicating the Polish population in the eastern holdings? Even apart from letting a future enemy expend his own resources on something you were planning to do, anyway, it might also afford the Germans a talking point about the atrocities committed by those “Barbarous Asiatic hordes!” from the East, if OTL bleating about the Katyn Massacre is any indication.

The Poles considered Katyn is part of this in fact

The Poles considered Katyn is part of this in fact

Not quite what I'm aiming for.

Rather, the scenario is that Stalin decides to erase the Polish nation and exterminate the Polish people wholesale (similar to what Hitler's doing in the west). Something akin to a writ-large version of what @Jan Olbracht suggested seems plausible, though the extermination component, I'm thinking of a multi-stage process in which the NKVD gradually rolls out the mass-killings much like their German counterparts.

For instance, a wave of multiple Katyn Massacres throughout eastern Poland to kill off the Polish leadership cadres, intelligentsia, and business elites — ridding them of figures the masses can rally behind or organize around. Beyond that, given that industrialized death camps aren't really Stalin's MO, he might just opt for another Holodomor to starve out the several million Poles left, while patrolling NKVD troops shoot survivors point-blank and relocates ethnic Russians to the land (who proceed to demolish the native landmarks and build atop the ruins of what was once Poland).

All in all, I'm fairly sure Hitler will be pleased — and even if he still hates Slavs, may just decide to let the USSR have a few more years to expend its own resources on doing what Hitler was planning to do to the Poles, anyway. Could buy Stalin time to build up the Soviet war machine, too, now that I think about it.

How would WWI end if the CP's manage to sort out their food problems? For that reason have the germans have a hugely succesfull spring offensive in the west (to give them time and a moral boost), and a bit earlier victory against Russia.

Point being that we have a scenario where the CP's solved their food problem which should massively improve their home fronts. As things get sorted out in the East they will have more and more troops available for the other fronts which should help massively on those. The germans did also much better in the West which is a much needed boost of moral.

OTOH the americans are there, and however improved the situation for the CP's is I do not think they can beat those odds in the long run.

What would be the aim for the CP's in such a scenario? Get an acceptable peace in the west and the Entente accepting Brest Litovsk in the East?

(Side question: how would the lack of western intervention and weapon deliveries change the situation in Russia?)

WI: New Mexican Spanish, most specifically the variant(s) used in both Albuquerque and Santa Fé, is the standard used in the United States, most specifically in both education and media.

If Winston Churchill is dead in 1936 who would make a great wartime Prime Minister for Britain please?

....or disgraced, alongside Lloyd-George and Buxton, in April/May 1912 for their negligence as Presidents of the Board of Trade?

That one introduces all sorts of butterflies: from Dardanelles and funding post-war expenditure properly, to not conspiring with Lang to force the King off the throne, completing the land-facing defences of Singapore, not interfering with the professionals in the daily conduct of wartime operations and - in his last gasp - separating a young Charles from his soulmate Camilla for twenty years.

If he dies in '36, Eden is probably best. If the PoD is way back in 1912, then there will have been some other rising star during the '20s and '30s.... and in TTL war might well not come in 1939.

To expand on my post 2,518:

In a speech given in the US Senate on 28 May 1912, Hon W Smith (Michigan) uttered the damning sentence;

"We shall leave to the honest judgment of England its painstaking chastisement of the British Board of Trade, to whose laxity of regulation and hasty inspection the world is largely indebted for this awful fatality"

PoD

If this comment had preceded the debate in the House of Commons on 21 May 1912 (Board of Trade: Loss of Life at Sea. Hansard vol 38 chap 1757 to chap 1829)* and there had been more public and press outcry about the lifeboat regulations not having kept pace with increasing ship sizes since 1894, would the resulting disgrace have been sufficient to destroy the future careers of the two previous and the current Presidents; David Lloyd-George, Winston Churchill and Sydney Buxton?

* https://api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commons/1912/may/21/board-of-trade-loss-of-life-at-sea