Miscellaneous >1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Let's keep this brief
Are you claiming that the 2016 election lead to America's radicalism today? If so, then I'd argue that it was more or less due to declining wages and rising prices
No, I am simply of the belief that it certainly added to the increased amount of partisanship and cultural division. We'll never know how it would've went if Hillary was in charge and finished out her presidency so I don't believe that her option would have been any better particularly but I think it would probably be a better world today (barring something insane and unpredictable happening to muck things up)

From the end of ww2,How do you keep western culture culturally more "conservative" today ?

that doesn't mean segregation and no women rights yada yada, I'm thinking more of an american like conservativesm ideal. a religiously christian and following strong christian traditions and rules. (so no lgbt rights).

You've been warned before about the incredibly specific offense of spamming blatantly political WIs in these threads. Please take some time off and consider using Chat to ask well-considered and thought out questions instead of just blasting them wherever with no consideration.

Kicked for a week.

Uh, are you from OTL? Did you not notice the US after 2016? I don't want to stray into current politics but I definitely think that it is possible for a single election to potentially change the culture of the country in question.

You absolutely are going to start a discussion about current politics if you bring up the last election but one, particularly when it's far from obvious to everyone but you that that election represented a major turning point.

Question: What if Prince Charles (now King Charles III) had died when he was "run over" by that bus in 1969 and then Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip were both assassinated a year later in April 1970 in the Lithgow Plot while in Australia? Obviously Prince Andrew is next in line due to the rules of succession at the time, however, he was only 10 years old so a regent would have to be named until he became of age to take the Crown. Who would be chosen to serve as regent for the next 8 years?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Question: What if Prince Charles (now King Charles III) had died when he was "run over" by that bus in 1969 and then Queen Elizabeth II and her husband Prince Philip were both assassinated a year later in April 1970 in the Lithgow Plot while in Australia? Obviously Prince Andrew is next in line due to the rules of succession at the time, however, he was only 10 years old so a regent would have to be named until he became of age to take the Crown. Who would be chosen to serve as regent for the next 8 years?
Mountbatten, almost certainly, possibly in a council with the dukes of Kent and Gloucester

WI: Segundo de Chomón established his film studio (with financial help from the French and accompanied with fellow Spaniards) in his native Teruel instead of Barcelona.

I was just reading Doctor Turtledove’s SHLETL DAYS (and thinking that it might have made an interesting TWILIGHT ZONE episode) when a mention of local Reichsmarks made me wonder what the Third Reich’s currency might look like, had it outlived World War II.

I don’t want to imagine a world where the Reich triumphed (and I’m certainly not keen on imagining a timeline where it outlived the 20th Century), so may I please ask if there has been speculation on what Nazi coins and banknotes might look like in a timeline comparable to FATHERLAND or Mr Nuttall’s RANGNAROK trilogy, in terms of design and denominations?

I’ve done a little research, but my only conclusion so far is that Hitler would probably supplant Hindenburg and that any design seen on both East and West German currency prior to reunification ought to be considered somewhat plausible for almost any version of Germany.

‘Implausible Scenario: What Would A George McGovern Presidency Look Like?’.
Well,he would likely need to moderate a bit,so we wouldn't see things reforming welfare into a UBI or complete amnesty. We would perhaps see a withdrwal from Vietnam, liberal fiscal policy,perhaps some women's rights stuff and busing,(it's always difficult to combine his somewhat radical platform with the realities of a moderate,even of Democratic Congress) which would likely lead to a bigger conservative backlash,making Reagan perhaps win in 1976,due to the oil crisis(which would be tough for any preident to prevent unless one stops supporting Israel,which would be both strategically unlikely as well as political suicide because of the Jewish population)

If Nazism never came to power, say Hitler and most of the Nazi leadership died in the Beer Hall Putsch, and Nazism remained a small to mid-tier party by the ‘30s and ‘40s, do you think Romania’s Iron Guard would be remembered as the worst far-right group in Europe during the mid-20th century?