Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

No way as Rene II was already married, among the other things
Wikipedia claims René didn't marry Philippa of Guelders until 1485, 8 years after the Battle of Nancy.

ETA: Nevermind, Jeanne d'Harcourt isn't mentioned on English Wikipedia for some reason.

Last edited:
What would English look like if Latin and French had left a greater influence on it?
I'm imagining something like various groups, predominantly French, migrating into Britain at the same time as ( and later becoming more influential than ) the various Germanic tribes that migrated into Britain after the 4th century ( or perhaps replacing them ). However, I am not a linguist and I don't know much about this era of history.

VVD0D95

Banned
Yes, I think a more domestic Emperor focused on consolidation and internal improvement in better in long run.
Alright. In your view given Hindus such as Chandar Bhan and Raghunath Roy served as key secretaries and officials in the Mughal administration cojld one of them become Wazir?

Alright. In your view given Hindus such as Chandar Bhan and Raghunath Roy served as key secretaries and officials in the Mughal administration cojld one of them become Wazir?
That is more or less guaranteed due to his more hinduphile disposition compared to shah jahan. In canon shah jahan came in power using orthodox Ulemas later he slowly removed his dependence from them. Khusrau more or less returning back to policies of Akber so I think we will see power struggle between two factions.

VVD0D95

Banned
That is more or less guaranteed due to his more hinduphile disposition compared to shah jahan. In canon shah jahan came in power using orthodox Ulemas later he slowly removed his dependence from them. Khusrau more or less returning back to policies of Akber so I think we will see power struggle between two factions.
Intriguing thay would have some seriously fascinating consequences for the empire

Question, would it be more interesting for people if Khusrau or Shah Jahan became Mughal Emperor in 1620?

@Madhukar_Shah @Rajveer Naha @Kcirtap @souvikkundu25140017 @Viking25 @Cregan @LostInNewDelhi @Viking25
Going to back up with @souvikkundu25140017 on this one. Central Asia that Aurangzeb's own officers were actively sabotaging him throughout specifically so they wouldn't have to actually garrison the place, and it distracted resources from the infinitely richer and more valuable Deccan(Still a bitch to take and hold ). I'd say that Khusrau would also be less wasteful of the empires treasury.....but who can really say? IIRC Khusrau was actually approached by Nur Jahan to wed her daughter and become the next Emperor but he rejected the offer because he was already married( I read this on wikipedia a while ago so take it all with a hefty deal of salt) so maybe you could use that as the POD.

VVD0D95

Banned
Going to back up with @souvikkundu25140017 on this one. Central Asia that Aurangzeb's own officers were actively sabotaging him throughout specifically so they wouldn't have to actually garrison the place, and it distracted resources from the infinitely richer and more valuable Deccan(Still a bitch to take and hold ). I'd say that Khusrau would also be less wasteful of the empires treasury.....but who can really say? IIRC Khusrau was actually approached by Nur Jahan to wed her daughter and become the next Emperor but he rejected the offer because he was already married( I read this on wikipedia a while ago so take it all with a hefty deal of salt) so maybe you could use that as the POD.
Indeed he did. He had two other wife’s as well so not sure why he rejected Nur Jahans offer. Using thay as the pod would be fun.

Indeed he did. He had two other wife’s as well so not sure why he rejected Nur Jahans offer. Using thay as the pod would be fun.
Apparently his wives themselves actually begged him to accept the offer so it's doubly weird that he refused.

Which Roman Emperor do you find interesting/cool?
For me, it's Claudius, Alexander Severus, and Flavius Claudius Julianus

What is the plausibility of feudalism without manorialism? That is to say, the system of oaths, obligations, etc. whereby elites owe military service to the monarchy in exchange for land which becomes their personal or heritable property but the way these elites administer the land is not via manorialism but rather through regular old governorship (i.e. getting income from taxation rather than shares of the crop).

The main problem is that this sort of form of feudalism is well-suited towards realms which primarily govern towns and cities. But towns and cities often were powerful enough that they threatened the authority of the lords. They had the economic capacity to both arm and defend themselves to such an extent that they could rival the equipment of lords. As such, lords often had to negotiate with rather than command towns and cities.

This is exacerbated by the fact that cities and towns were more commonly directly administrated by the king which completely defeats the purpose of feudalism. We could deal with this by granting lords other forms of administrative power but I am not sure what, besides governorship, that might be. Any ideas?

What is the plausibility of feudalism without manorialism? That is to say, the system of oaths, obligations, etc. whereby elites owe military service to the monarchy in exchange for land which becomes their personal or heritable property but the way these elites administer the land is not via manorialism but rather through regular old governorship (i.e. getting income from taxation rather than shares of the crop).
Isn't that just Zhou dynasty China and the autonomous states beneath them, which in practice were more or less hereditary?