Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Reading about Alexander wanting to sail around Africa and later conquer the Western Mediterranean. I know it's kind of crazy, but... could the Macedonian-Greeks have discovered the Americas, if things played out just right? Or was naval tech too far behind?

Hey, if anyone knows anything (a lot of anything) about the US in the 1830s / 1840s, particularly regarding politics and slavery, could you please PM me? I have a convoluted question involving Andrew Jackson and moving up the Civil War by about 15 years

What if pemmican is common throughout Eurasia as it was in North America? What would be the consequence?
Finally did Eurasia had pemmican or was it a exclusive pre Colombian north american thing?

What if pemmican is common throughout Eurasia as it was in North America? What would be the consequence?
Finally did Eurasia had pemmican or was it a exclusive pre Colombian north american thing?
Probably through their nearest relatives, the (Paleo)Siberians

Probably through their nearest relatives, the (Paleo)Siberians
Hypothetically how would this effect the effectiveness of nomads of the steppe, now that they have effective means of meat preservation, could they manage bigger heard and go further distances ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tolkusha - I believe this is more or less identical with some varieties of pemmican.
Hypothetically how would this effect the effectiveness of nomads of the steppe, now that they have effective means of meat preservation, could they manage bigger heard and go further distances ?
They did have effective means of meat preservation OTL. Every culture did and does. And unlike Amerindians, they also had said herds which gave them fresh milk for use as yogurt.

Do you think it's possible that a butterfly of a pre-1800 POD could be a different name for Slovakia in English? idk it seems like understanding of their nationhood by the west and the coining of "Slovakia" was kinda recent, what are some alternate names for the country? Is Slovenskia silly? Slovenia? How inevitable is "Slovakia"?

Last edited:
Do you think it's possible that a butterfly of a pre-1800 POD could be a different name for Slovakia in English? idk it seems like understanding of their nationhood by the west and the coining of "Slovakia" was kinda recent, what are some alternate names for the country? Is Slovenskia silly? Slovenia? How inevitable is "Slovakia"?
Isn't Slovenia a whole different country?

Only if England had failed to come together and remained divided Kingdoms you might have seen Welsh Kingdoms survive?

Or something drove the Picts from Scotland?
But, if either the Anglo-Saxon kingdoms would have failed to be united or , if later they just formed a single kingdom would have fallen apart...
IMO, it only would have been caused by an scenario where the OTL Norsemen invasions 'd have a greater impact as well a bigger influence/territorial dominion and for a longer time than OTL. Perhaps, it would be possible if, in this possible hypothetical TL, when first faced with the Norseman Britain would have gone through the same situation that OTL Ireland. And, if somehow it would be coupled with a stronger Welsh kingdom, receiving Picts refugees/hired swords and/or able to defend/repel itself first from the Saxons and later from the Norse. Perhaps, being able to form a redoubt in Snowdonia, to later expand from there to their original borders...

Could a war stemming from the Fashoda incident have triggered an earlier decolonization of Africa?
Well first off a war stemming from it would be pretty hard to have, as France in 1895 would always play the card of de-escalation towards Britain at some point or another before the war, and Britain would really just seize the first opportunity they could see to calm things down. We like to make the Fashoda Incident as that big massive thing that could've started WW1, but there's actually reasons it didn't, that being that France and Britain were already starting to get closer, as Germany was rising a lot as a militaristic and naval threat.
So the "how" of this "what if" would be primordial in saying how that war later goes, and if yes or not it would spark a decolonisation of Africa.

A question for the panel if it is okay. I'm working on my WTCPC timeline and one of its features is earlier civil right in the US. Now I have one source which says William Carney was the first African-American to be award the Medal of Honor, awarded in 1900 for actions in the ACW in 1863. I have another source which says he wasn't, there were awards before him. Very unhelpfully this source doesn't list said earlier awards. Can anyone tell me which is correct?