Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Probably Prince Henry, who would be heir to the English throne from birth.
Pretty unlikely as Catherine would be likely seen as too old for his heir by Henry VII so he will not sought her as bride for his heir here, but will look elsewhere (a niece of Emperor Maximilian, Louis XII‘s niece Germaine of Foix, Eleanor of Austria as soon she is born, maybe Margaret of Angouleme, Anne or Isabelle of Lorraine, if either of them lived)
Come to think of it, if OTL Arthur had been born a girl, OTL Henry would probably have been named Arthur...
That is possible but NOT guaranteed as Henry could also keep his OTL name
Instead ATL Margaret (aka girl Arthur, while OTL Margaret will be called Elizabeth) would be engaged sooner to James IV of Scotland (as an older girl would be more attractive to him)

Probably Prince Henry, who would be heir to the English throne from birth. Come to think of it, if OTL Arthur had been born a girl, OTL Henry would probably have been named Arthur...
Charles III of Savoy has a shout, too, I think. Or Antoine of Lorraine. But you're right about names.

Who would be a plausible Republican candidate for the 1860 presidential election if I wanted them to let the South secede without being so obviously conciliatory that they wouldn't secede in the first place? The POD is a few years earlier, so there's a bit more appetite in the North for just letting them go and a bit more reluctance to go to war over it, but it seems unlikely that Lincoln or most of the other candidates would fit the bill.
My gut says Edward Bates.

If Arthur Tudor was born a girl, who would Katherine of Aragon be betrothed to?

Charles III of Savoy has a shout, too, I think. Or Antoine of Lorraine. But you're right about names.
Not the ATL Henry/Arthur, Prince of Wales meaning who she would NOT be engaged to anyone since the cradle.

The Duke of Lorraine is an unlikely match for a daughter of the Catholic monarchs, so I would say she will likely end as Queen of Hungary or Poland OR Duchess of Savoy. And I guess who if Ferdinand get pretty desperate to procure a crown to her she could end as Queen of Naples (or Duchess of Calabria first)

If John Van Buren (son of Martin Van Buren) hadn't died so soon in 1866 overseas and returned to the mainland, do you think he would've went on to be the President of the US later on? For some context, John Van Buren was a Barnburner Democrat and served as New York State Attorney General. He was also instrumental in getting his father, Martin Van Buren the Free Soil Party nomimation in 1848. He stayed loyal to the Democrats despite his antislavery views. Could've John Van Buren been a Senator from New York given his relationship to Samuel Tilden?

If Louis XII ended up marrying Margaret of Austria in the 1490s, would Louis claiming Milan still spark war between him and Maximilian?

A thought I had: if Jainism were far more prevalent IRL, and/or there were enough Jains somewhere in the world for a Jain-majority polity to arise (doesn't need to be in India, some place inhabited by diaspora Indians can count, too). And, if this polity were somewhat serious about its roots, how would a state whose laws are shaped by what might very well be the most non-violent religion on the planet look like, in the present day?

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Could a reliably safe method of birth control have occurred pre-1900, and if so what's the earliest?
I presume that the pill is a mixture of enzymes and stuff?

These could be accidentaly synthesised by a mixture of natural stuff?

And then used....?

Doing research for the next chapter of my TL. My aim is to have Egypt somehow emerge victorious in the Ethiopian-Egyptian War. Have barely begun research so I may come across this myself at some point, but does anyone have any ideas as to how Egypt could have won this war that I should look at in further detail? Mostly asking this as a way to kind of steer my research.

Could a reliably safe method of birth control have occurred pre-1900, and if so what's the earliest?
Sheepskin condoms have existed for centuries (possibly millenia) and are still used today to some capacity. granted it's not 100% safe, but neither are modern condoms. The biggest problem is getting them to become widely used.

Grey Wolf

Gone Fishin'
Donor
Doing research for the next chapter of my TL. My aim is to have Egypt somehow emerge victorious in the Ethiopian-Egyptian War. Have barely begun research so I may come across this myself at some point, but does anyone have any ideas as to how Egypt could have won this war that I should look at in further detail? Mostly asking this as a way to kind of steer my research.
What year are we in?