Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

How would the constitutional ability for the individual Confederate States to levy taxes on domestic and foreign ships that use their waterways affect the Confederacy, militarily, politically, and just in general?

octoberman

Banned
1. The Ottomans themselves are even more inserted into the balance of power considerations here
Ottomans need french to keep their domains because their armies would be cannon fodder against armies of prussian soldier kings
2. Spain, and the Spanish Netherlands, and Spanish Italy is always a consideration
they can't fight france without austria as war of spanish succession showed just england withdrawing meant others can't keep fighting replace england with austria
3. Without Austria, what has happened to the HRE?
saxony elector becomes emperor since they are strongest catholic rulers in HRE

In a scenario where Britain never loses the 13 colonies, what's the most likely scenario where Britain gets the Louisiana territory?
Britain invades and occupies Louisiana "to prevent Napoleon from conquering it." They then refuse to return it. They add more territories when F7 decides it's a great idea to waste the rest of their resources going to war against Britain over Louisiana. (Yes, F7 is really that stupid)

Grey Wolf

Donor
In a scenario where Britain never loses the 13 colonies, what's the most likely scenario where Britain gets the Louisiana territory?
Settlers cross the mountains and clash with Indians, supported by British American troops. At some point, Spain reacts with its own militias leading to war

Britain invades and occupies Louisiana "to prevent Napoleon from conquering it." They then refuse to return it. They add more territories when F7 decides it's a great idea to waste the rest of their resources going to war against Britain over Louisiana. (Yes, F7 is really that stupid)
Napoleon probably never comes to power if Britain loses the 13 colonies.

Could there be a potential secret Stuart conspiracy supported by Napoleon? The idea being that the desperate descendants of the Young Pretender through his legitimized daughter Charlotte try and make a claim for the Throne.

I'm thinking of it for a story idea. Note that this would be considered in the story as a long-shot, an almost laughable attempt that Napoleon knows is destined to fail but would provide a distraction for his actual goal at the right moment. Who could be the legitimized Stuart's supporters (even if just one disgruntled and delusional lord)?

I just want to know if secret Stuart conspiracy is so far-fetched that even as a ridiculous distraction Napoleon wouldn't consider it or whether with a little stretching, it could make for something semi-semi plausible. I also don't know if the Royalist Stuarts(? - Britain certainly would consider them illegitimate twice over) would even make an alliance with Napoleon in the first place. But I do like the symmetry of the British hosting the Bourbons while Napoleon hosts the Stuarts.

would a messy orthodox church in the aftermath of fourth crusade lead to muslimening of greek later on under the ottomans ?

I'm kinda wondering about a WI where Phoenician Colonists somehow make it to the British Isles and settle on the island. I have no idea what POD would result in permanent Phoenician settlements in Brittan (well permanent for the time being), but I wonder how that would affect history on a larger scale? Perhaps these alternate Phoenician settlements trade with the Celtic and Germanic people nearby?

What if European geopolitics ends up with a Republican bloc (let's say equivalent to the OTL Entente) and a Monarchist bloc (TTL equivalent of Central Powers) by 1900?

What if European geopolitics ends up with a Republican bloc (let's say equivalent to the OTL Entente) and a Monarchist bloc (TTL equivalent of Central Powers) by 1900?
It's more likely the Republican bloc would be the Central Powers, considering the 1848 revolutions washed over the empires of central and eastern Europe more than Britain, which only suffered Chartist unrest, and France, which within five years reverted to a kind of monarchy. Have the nationalisms of Europe rally behind a red flag, and it could happen.

It's more likely the Republican bloc would be the Central Powers, considering the 1848 revolutions washed over the empires of central and eastern Europe
Thing is, most of Central/Eastern European revolutionaries in 1848 advocated for constitutional monarchies. In addition, as Central/Eastern Europe had no republican tradition and more importanly was dominated by conservative rural majority population-wise, the revolutionaries here did not really have a strong power base. Central European monarches also had strong army ready to suppress revolutions.

Btw, Austria-Hungary WOULD have collapsed if the Habsburgs were sent packing.

On the other hand, France at least had Paris (well, always a revolutionary hotbed) and Britain was the only place with sufficient large urban population in 1848. The Chartist Unrest would have played out much worse if you totally derail the 1832 Great Reform Act. As for Napoleon III, he was very close to be banned from the Assembly IOTL and had the Thouret Amendment been passed, Napoleon III would have failed.

If you really want to stretch this scenario, just have the Commonwealth of England around and eventually democratize by the early 1800s - because that would have cut out the middle-ground Constitutional Monarchy.