Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Unless it was a timeline in which the U.S. fell apart after independence.

If the US did fall apart after independent and Mexico's States as of 1821 are independent than British Canada would basically be the only stable power in North America. While the smaller nations compete against each other and are influenced by foreign powers (such as the aforementioned Spain, Britain and Belgium), which leads to a much more turbulent North America opposed to the stable Canada under British rule.

Though this is fairly detailed, I don't know if it's good enough to be a thread of its own, so I am putting it here. I am placing it here because I assume the PoD would need to be before 1900. According to good ol' Wikipedia, by 1821, some 47% of the population of Ottoman Crete had converted to Islam. Over the course of the 19th century and the Greek national struggle, this population of "Cretan Turks" slowly shrunk as, due to multiple rebellions, the Turkish population either fled or were pushed into a handful of heavily fortified cities on the northern coast. Below is an ethnic map of Crete by 1861, though I am unsure of how precise it is or the original source. By the late 19th century, with the Cretan Turks facing severe demographic decline, several spats of sometimes severe intercommunal violence broke out between the Muslim and Christian community on the island. Eventually, the West intervened during a war between the Ottoman Empire and Greece over Crete, establishing a semi-independent Cretan State under de jure Ottoman suzerainty. By 1881, the Turkish population was only 26%, and by 1900 it had shrunk to merely 11%. These are pretty striking demographic changes. The situation in some ways reminds me of the crisis that would unravel in Cyprus during the Cold War many decades later. As such, I now ask this community, WI the population of the Cretan Turks did not enter its decline or eventually stabilized at around 25% of the insular population and Crete did not join Greece, at least not in 1913? Could Crete end up in a position similar to Cyprus during the Cold War, or could Crete replace Cyprus as a zone of conflict while Cyprus falls firmly into the hands of the Republic of Turkey?

Crete_-_ethnic_map,_1861.jpg

If the US did fall apart after independent and Mexico's States as of 1821 are independent than British Canada would basically be the only stable power in North America. While the smaller nations compete against each other and are influenced by foreign powers (such as the aforementioned Spain, Britain and Belgium), which leads to a much more turbulent North America opposed to the stable Canada under British rule.
Which probably leads, sooner or later, to some of the former British colonies accepting British protection... and perhaps a Dominion of New England? Also, probably, Britain gets all of the Oregon Country which gives British Columbia a stronger "West Coast" identity and makes it less likely to federate into Canada?

Though this is fairly detailed, I don't know if it's good enough to be a thread of its own, so I am putting it here. I am placing it here because I assume the PoD would need to be before 1900. According to good ol' Wikipedia, by 1821, some 47% of the population of Ottoman Crete had converted to Islam. Over the course of the 19th century and the Greek national struggle, this population of "Cretan Turks" slowly shrunk as, due to multiple rebellions, the Turkish population either fled or were pushed into a handful of heavily fortified cities on the northern coast. Below is an ethnic map of Crete by 1861, though I am unsure of how precise it is or the original source. By the late 19th century, with the Cretan Turks facing severe demographic decline, several spats of sometimes severe intercommunal violence broke out between the Muslim and Christian community on the island. Eventually, the West intervened during a war between the Ottoman Empire and Greece over Crete, establishing a semi-independent Cretan State under de jure Ottoman suzerainty. By 1881, the Turkish population was only 26%, and by 1900 it had shrunk to merely 11%. These are pretty striking demographic changes. The situation in some ways reminds me of the crisis that would unravel in Cyprus during the Cold War many decades later. As such, I now ask this community, WI the population of the Cretan Turks did not enter its decline or eventually stabilized at around 25% of the insular population and Crete did not join Greece, at least not in 1913? Could Crete end up in a position similar to Cyprus during the Cold War, or could Crete replace Cyprus as a zone of conflict while Cyprus falls firmly into the hands of the Republic of Turkey?

View attachment 750158
What are the actual numbers involved? If they work out reasonably comparable then the "tidiest" solution might be a Western-supervised transfer of populations, 'Cretan Turks' to Cyprus & Greek Cypriots to Crete...

Last edited:
How could we get a Greater Mexico after the Confederacy wins the Civil War? Like Mexico expanding and getting back the Central America states or them getting some western territories that are not yet attached to the Union and the Confederacy helps Mexico?

Last edited:
Which probably leads, sooner or later, to some of the former British colonies accepting British protection... and perhaps a Dominion of New England? Also, probably, Britain gets all of the Oregon Country which gives British Columbia a stronger "West Coast" identity and makes it less likely to federate into Canada?
If Britain gets all of the Oregon County, than perhaps instead of the region being called British Columbia, the entire thing might just be called Oregon. British Settlers from Oregon may even establish towns in California, creating an entirely British West Coast. Maybe some settle even further into Nevada and Sonora, but that may be a bit of a stretch.

I actually think Domitian was a good ruler and administrator, slandered by the Senate because he hated them. Maybe with Vespasian's help, he's able to stay on the throne longer.

On another note, WI Trajan and Lusius Quietus were killed on their campaign against Parthia?
Trajan was a good administrator and a solid ruler who had some issues (he really did mismanage the Dacian situation badly imo). But pissing off the senate and consolidating power in your person while being quite (justifiably, it turned out) paranoid is an issue and it made his demise almost inevitable.

I don't think Trajan or Quietus dying around a year before IOTL changes much at all.

Question.Anyone knows what was the reason why nobiliary particle didn’t become a thing for English/British aristocrats except for some who were of French aristocratic extraction?

Great Northern War goes the other way... how much does this cripple Russia? I've heard that Russia losing the Great Northern War cripples it for multiple centuries, but I'm not sure. Maybe it gets those warm water ports from attacking Ottoman Turkey?

What POD would it take for the "Spanish East Indies" including the Philippines to remain Spanish to the present day?
Probably something that can make Spain remain a global power to this day, and keep direct imperalism with massive colonies that outpopulate their colonizers an acceptable model of modern Empire. In short a PoD that makes the world fairly unrecognizable.

What POD would it take for the "Spanish East Indies" including the Philippines to remain Spanish to the present day?
How are you defining "Spanish East Indies"? In theory it is possible, remember how Great Britain managed to keep Australia and India well into the 20th century. But I would need to know which territories you are talking about.

Probably something that can make Spain remain a global power to this day, and keep direct imperalism with massive colonies that outpopulate their colonizers an acceptable model of modern Empire. In short a PoD that makes the world fairly unrecognizable.
I was kind of imagining a Spain that had everything it did in 1898 OTL but also holding Panama and building the canal there.

Philippine, Caroline, and Mariana islands.
In that case the question is to keep the Philippines and the rest of the territory will follow. I think that a good start would be that the Glorious Revolution of 1868 or the First Republic of 1874 raises the possibility that the Philippines have representation in Parliament and a local reform is made to give more power to the people at the expense of the Church. Which should make it easier to preserve the territory... Then it is added that Manila is a free port (to promote trade and investment, because let's be realistic, Spain is not going to start colonizing like crazy in Asia, they can't XD) and that should prevent other powers (ahem, America, ahem) from trying to take it because they think they need a port close to China.

What's the latest possible POD for the Channel Islands and/or the Isle of Mann to become part of the UK proper?
I think well into the twentieth century there was the potential for some sort of revolution (e.g. government handles the Great Depression exactly wrong) resulting in an authoritarian, centralizing regime with no respect for old feudal traditions. Even if this removes the monarchy, that could be reinstated à la Spain without restoring the sovereignty of the dependencies.