Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

Why on earth will the Queen of Scots inherit? She's a) Catholic, b) Elizabeth's prisoner, c) convicted for treason, d) French queen consort. NONE of these are appealing traits to Elizabethan England
Oh, please. Mary was prisoner of nobody until 1568, the accuse of treason were made only in 1486, and she was Queen Consort of France only until 1560, meaning who if Elizabeth died between 1561 and 1567 Mary is nothing of the last three things you have claimed and was know for being moderate in religious matters. If Elizabeth died before 1565 then Mary is also still not yet married to Darnley

Oh, please. Mary was prisoner of nobody until 1568, the accuse of treason were made only in 1486, and she was Queen Consort of France only until 1560, meaning who if Elizabeth died between 1561 and 1567 Mary is nothing of the last three things you have claimed and was know for being moderate in religious matters. If Elizabeth died before 1565 then Mary is also still not yet married to Darnley
Not married to Darnley doesn't help in terms of her religion...

She would still be a very strong candidate for the English crown, specially if Elizabeth die early
This is the problem of OP not stating when Elizabeth dies. We could argue about this forever. So, if Robert becomes king consort but fails to father children, the crown goes to either Mary or her son.

What happens if the ship Napoleon is on after leaving Elba runs into storms and sinks before reaching France?
Centuries of debate as to who really killed Napoleon. Everyone on that ship will be well studied by biographers in an effort to find out the truth of the disaster.

VVD0D95

Banned
Centuries of debate as to who really killed Napoleon. Everyone on that ship will be well studied by biographers in an effort to find out the truth of the disaster.
Intetesting does this strengthen the Congress of Vienna and stop their bickering or does it simply make them bicker once more?

What if all the children of Catherine de Medici live to an old age?
Define "Old age"....
Well Francis II will be the only king from his generation, his brother Henry stays in Poland, his brother Charles stays just a royal duke. He will probably have issue with Mary, which means a son will get France and Scotland. Elizabeth will probably do her best to stay on good relations with them especially as she herself won't marry. Elisabeth probably gets to have sons with Philip II since she doesn't die of childbirth here (old age implies that). Claude could possibly have even MORE children, not that she didn't have a lot IOTL. Hercules of Anjou spends his life as the king's younger brother.

Define "Old age"....
Well Francis II will be the only king from his generation, his brother Henry stays in Poland, his brother Charles stays just a royal duke. He will probably have issue with Mary, which means a son will get France and Scotland. Elizabeth will probably do her best to stay on good relations with them especially as she herself won't marry. Elisabeth probably gets to have sons with Philip II since she doesn't die of childbirth here (old age implies that). Claude could possibly have even MORE children, not that she didn't have a lot IOTL. Hercules of Anjou spends his life as the king's younger brother.
Let's say at least until their fifties. Older if you want.

I agree that one of the brothers is likely to become king of Poland but not necessarily Henry as he would have two available older brothers (Louis and Charles) who may be chosen instead of him.

What about Netherlands? Assuming one of the brothers is still elected (as Alençon was in OTL), does he have a chance to keep it?

Also, there were, in OTL, other plans that came to nothing:
-Louis becoming duke of Urbino,
-Charles being elected emperor of the Holy Roman Empire after Maximilian II,
-Henry marrying Juana of Austria (Sebastian I's mother) who may receive Milan as a dowry,
-turning Corsica into an independant kingdom with Henry as a king,
-having either Henry either Alençon becoming king consort of England by marrying Elizabeth I.
How likely is it to have some of these plans achieved?

What about the sisters?
I guess Elisabeth and Claude would still marry Philip II and the duke of Lorraine. You're right: Elisabeth is likely to have a son, here. Said son would become king of Spain. Would he be a better king than OTL Philip III?
Would Marguerite still marry Henry of Navarre? I don't know.
What about the twins, Victoire and Jeanne?

Let's say at least until their fifties. Older if you want.

I agree that one of the brothers is likely to become king of Poland but not necessarily Henry as he would have two available older brothers (Louis and Charles) who may be chosen instead of him.

What about Netherlands? Assuming one of the brothers is still elected (as Alençon was in OTL), does he have a chance to keep it?

Also, there were, in OTL, other plans that came to nothing:
-Louis becoming duke of Urbino,
-Charles being elected emperor of the Holy Roman Empire after Maximilian II,
-Henry marrying Juana of Austria (Sebastian I's mother) who may receive Milan as a dowry,
-turning Corsica into an independant kingdom with Henry as a king,
-having either Henry either Alençon becoming king consort of England by marrying Elizabeth I.
How likely is it to have some of these plans achieved?

What about the sisters?
I guess Elisabeth and Claude would still marry Philip II and the duke of Lorraine. You're right: Elisabeth is likely to have a son, here. Said son would become king of Spain. Would he be a better king than OTL Philip III?
Would Marguerite still marry Henry of Navarre? I don't know.
What about the twins, Victoire and Jeanne?
Well, the son of Elisabeth and Philip II will certainly be less inbred. That will DEFINITELY help Spain in the future. Joan or Victoria could perhaps wed Rudolf II? Feodor I of Russia, for a fun but ASB butterfly? Matthias, also Holy Roman Emperor? Charles Stuart (son of Margaret Douglas)? As the TENTH child, there's barely any dowry, so a lower match could be possible.

Deleted member 90563

Is there a timeline where Bonaparte has a breakdown and resigns himself to Elba? No Hundred Days, no Waterloo.

Is there a timeline here in which Marshal Saxe (as he became known IOTL) remained in Austrian service instead of going over to the French? As he's often considered the best general of his time, I think that the effects of this could have been interesting...

Is there a timeline here in which Marshal Saxe (as he became known IOTL) remained in Austrian service instead of going over to the French? As he's often considered the best general of his time, I think that the effects of this could have been interesting...
Not that I can find, but perhaps you could offer a reason for why he'd stay...