Miscellaneous <1900 (Alternate) History Thread

The Kingdom of Poland and the Grand Principality of Kiev would take turns in which member of the royal couple they would vote the enthronement of, meaning in theory there would always be either a catholic Polish king married to an orthodox Rus' grand princess or an orthodox Rus' grand prince married to a catholic Polish queen.
Inter-Faith marriage exist in that form by that time and allowed by the regional authorities (the Pope or Patriarch)?
What do you do if there is a conflict fight between the two dynasties-families with different interests? Or lack of heirs-potential marriages that meet these characteristics?
Novgorod would likely be the only part of the union coming into it with that kind of handicap.
I will be honest, I don't have all the knowledge in the matter.
But, it isn't a systematic problem then? That would mean a serious problem in the union and the region?
What about Polish abuse then, or just a better Rus state (like Moscow did OTL) taking lands from others, just because is a better state in military-administrative matters.
They would all still be under the nominal authority of the Grand Prince of Kiev, whose actual power would have increased substantially, compared to the lows it had reached on the eve of OTL's Mongol invasion of Russia.
You can't have nominal power and have great actual power without the structure for it. Being state structure or military structure.
Nominal power still nominal, and a problem.

Furthermore, the weakening of the Grand Prince-Grand Duke of Kiev was already occurring in the 12th century, not with the Mongol Invasion (of the XIII/13th century).
Because the more powerfull people put allies in the throne, not like before, were the most influent Rurik Prince got the throne, that was the most prestigious.

More population probably means that there is only a larger human resource base, which the Rus states can use for various purposes.
Among these purposes, fight each other.

Aside, 'Rus of Kiev' wasn't exactly a thing.
Rus means, lands of the Rus. Kiev was just the bigger center of power of the time, and Rus of Kiev is a historiography term.
So all Rus states were really independent from one and other.

Last edited:
Most of the Rus' Principalities pull a Novgorod in the face of the Mongols. Having accepted the Khan's suzerainty without much defiance, only a few cities are hit as hard as they've been in OTL and neither Vladimir nor Kiev are among them. The following centuries see all of the Principalities end up transitioning into crowned trade republics and enter a personal union with the Kingdom of Poland, which would later lead to the birth of the Polish-Rus' Commonwealth.
Another question.
If all states pay to the Khan, what happens with Poland?
The Khan would allow it? Poland would become another tributary to the Khan?

I admit, depending on time they could take the Mongol Successors, but depending on time they could also just get wrecked.

Furthermore, the weakening of the Grand Prince-Grand Duke of Kiev was already occurring in the 12th century, not with the Mongol Invasion.
I know, I simply used the power the Grand Prince could exert at that time as a benchmark. About everything else you said, I just came up with this PoD, I've not worked out any kinks out of it yet.
If all states pay to the Khan, what happens with Poland?
The Khan would allow it? Poland would become another tributary to the Khan?
Poland's relationship with the Mongols would be no different than in OTL, I simply forgot to mention the Grand Principality of Kiev would enter into a union with it after it got the Golden Horde off of its purse.

Last edited:
What if the Serbian campaign against the Ottomans, that ended in disaster and the onslaught of the Battle of Maritsa, would have managed to be successful? Would the Sultan Murad I, be able to stop his ongoing campaign in Anatolia, disentangle and attempt to come back to Europa? Or would have to face to their other enemies looking to keep them isolated on the Asian side of the Empire?

It is often the case that people on this forum have miscellaneous or frivolous questions that could be easily answered by the many experts on this forum but are difficult to find the answer to on Google Scholar/Books or Wikipedia because they don't often deal in alternatives.

There are other cases where people have miscellaneous or frivolous scenarios or challenges that they want to share about an idea they encountered that could perhaps provoke inspiration in other users but isn't deserving enough to be posted as a thread on its own.

These issues have been addressed in the Shared Worlds and ASB forums but haven't been dealt with here.

This thread is intended to be a resource for those with questions about a timeline they want to construct which are minor and undeserving of their own thread, and a place to share ideas that people don't have time, skill or knowledge to write themselves.
I never have seen a thread about the Redshirt rebellions in the very late 19th Century ( 1876,1898,1898,1900)that saw some kind of Neo-Confederate rascist activities resulting in political unrest. The so called Red Shirts had been irregular militants supported by the Southern Democrats. What if these events caused another Civil War in the South ?

Last edited:
I never have seen a thread about the Redshirt rebellions in the very late 19th Century ( 1876,1898,1898)that saw some kind of Neo-Confederate rascist activities resulting in political unrest. The so called Red Shirts had been irregular militants supported by the Southern Democrats. What if these events caused another Civil War in the South ?
I don't think this could get big enough to cause another "Civil War"? These were rather small level. Probably would have led to a crackdown from the US Armed Forces and they wouldn't have led to much success. It might also discredit the Southern Democrats if the links between them and the Red Shirts were discovered? (And this did escalate to a "Troubles" or especially "Civil War" level)?

Koxinga survives his bout with malaria and proceeds with his plan to evict the Spanish from Luzon with his massive fleet (which OTL the Spanish were scared shitless of). He does this, expands Dongning to the Philippines, calls the Ming diaspora to him, and starts raiding the Qing coasts. The Qing, fed up with his annoyance, assemble a fleet and take Taiwan and invade the Philippines, where after bloody fighting they manage to topple Koxinga's kingdom. Which sets the seeds for the Qing to be at the very least more willing to be aware of the world around them...

Last edited:
Underrated ancient or extinct civilizations? I'd like to do more research on my own, and I'd like to hear your suggestions.
Look up ancient America's on YouTube. The channel has loads of info on pre-Columbian American cultures.

But I also like the Etruscans, Pontic kingdom, Bactrians, Xiongnu and a few others

Yeah, it seems an interesting one, but exactly which one ('actual historical event') you'd suggest or think that could it be? Cause, at least I, am at a loss about any possible one it could be used to commemorate/celebrate...

That's the thing, it doesn't commemorate any specific historical event. The AHC is to change history so that it does.

That's the thing, it doesn't commemorate any specific historical event. The AHC is to change history so that it does.
I know, hence why I did start explaining that I couldn't think of anything, in the poem time framework, that could be used as such and asked you if you could think on some...

Have this poem commemorate an actual historical event.
How about something like this?
The Holy Roman Emperor, with his seat at Aachen (Aix) recently died without a son. His wife was pregnant but while waiting to hear if the baby would be born (and would be a son, given the Salic law requirements), other nobles start building up their armies near Aachen. The late emperor's wife is taken to Ghent for safety and while there her son is born. The poem commemorates the ride to Aachen to bring the good news that there is a new prince who can be crowned as emperor and hence civil war is averted.
[This takes a few liberties with the way in which Emperors were chosen (electors, etc), but could be one way to meet the challenge.]​

How about something like this?
The Holy Roman Emperor, with his seat at Aachen (Aix) recently died without a son. His wife was pregnant but while waiting to hear if the baby would be born (and would be a son, given the Salic law requirements), other nobles start building up their armies near Aachen. The late emperor's wife is taken to Ghent for safety and while there her son is born. The poem commemorates the ride to Aachen to bring the good news that there is a new prince who can be crowned as emperor and hence civil war is averted.
[This takes a few liberties with the way in which Emperors were chosen (electors, etc), but could be one way to meet the challenge.]​

And Robert Browning's poem is inspired by him seeing the statue of brave Roland the horse.

I wonder if it didn’t work out as a permanent settlement due to being simply unable to persuade new settlers to come or was it only ever a logging camp?
Archaeology indicates it seemed to be an actual community. They arrived during the medieval warm period; the colony was abandoned at the beginning of the little ice age.

I have a vision of the Chinese tributary system developing into the fundamental basis of international law, to the extent that the court of the Son of Heaven fills the same role as our United Nations, with the Emperor not so much governing any particular country as overseeing the place where every state sends its delegates for recognition.